The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

5 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

NTC is not a concern, what's more concerning is a no-AHL clause like last time. If I'm JB I wouldn't give it to him. It's not about whether or not he gets sent to the AHL, he'll likely stick in the NHL albeit with a learning curve, but he needs to know he's not entitled to anything before proving himself.

You gonna make the Tryamkin :wub:s real mad now, Vanuckles.

On 5/2/2019 at 4:51 PM, aGENT said:

Schenn should not be in our starting 6 if everyone's healthy.

I agree.  It is great to have a #7/#8 with his abilities, but if we get Tryamkin back he is redundant in the lineup.  Last thing we need is 3 players (Schenn, Tryamkin, Tanev) who don't score.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

NTC is not a concern, what's more concerning is a no-AHL clause like last time. If I'm JB I wouldn't give it to him. It's not about whether or not he gets sent to the AHL, he'll likely stick in the NHL albeit with a learning curve, but he needs to know he's not entitled to anything before proving himself.

I would give it to him as part of the negotiation.  He is an NHL player no doubt.  Top 4 no question with upside of a number two.  Don’t forget that he has had a couple years to continue to develop.  Yeah it’s the KHL but guaranteed he’s only improved.  There is so little risk in committing some term to him in my mind.  Make it happen JB.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Instead of 7x7 for Myers I'd rather do 5x5 for Tryamkin. This would get him here for camp I think. 

He could take a huge chunk of Tanevs PK minutes.

Definitely.  More Prime years and Tram is better at the intimidation factor.  Both are decent to good puck movers.  To be honest I would trade Tanev and sign Tram and Myers.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Instead of 7x7 for Myers I'd rather do 5x5 for Tryamkin. This would get him here for camp I think. 

He could take a huge chunk of Tanevs PK minutes.

That's a high price for a guy who has yet to prove anything other than an ability to hit like a train.

I would like to see him on the team as anyone, but I don't think he should be gifted a big contract or high minutes.  

I am not concerned about the contract to be honest.  I am sure it will make sense for all.  I just hope he wants to come back, plays like he can, and really make a career out of it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

Tryamkin is a KHL All-Star playing for his hometown team, he's not going to leave for the AHL.  He's turning 25 this August and has one year left on his KHL contract.  He can always just wait a bit longer and come back as an UFA, and choose his team.  Considering he was already NHL caliber at 22, the chances of him not beating out Sautner now is remote.  Playing hardball with him just on principle is alienating and unnecessary.

Not to mention if he was brought back in March 2020 when his KHL season ends, he will no longer be waiver-exempt by October 2020, as he's only one game away from being waiver eligible.  AHL is just an empty threat unless the Canucks are willing to risk him on waivers.      

Edited by GoldenAlien
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I would give it to him as part of the negotiation.  He is an NHL player no doubt.  Top 4 no question with upside of a number two.  Don’t forget that he has had a couple years to continue to develop.  Yeah it’s the KHL but guaranteed he’s only improved.  There is so little risk in committing some term to him in my mind.  Make it happen JB.

7 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

Tryamkin is a KHL All-Star playing for his hometown team, he's not going to leave for the AHL.  He's turning 25 this August and has one year left on his KHL contract.  He can always just wait a bit longer and come back as an UFA, and choose his team.  Considering he was already NHL caliber at 22, the chances of him not beating out Sautner now is remote.  Playing hardball with him just on principle is alienating and unnecessary.

Not to mention if he was brought back in March 2020 when his KHL season ends, he will no longer be waiver-exempt by October 2020, as he's only one game away from being waiver eligible.  AHL is just an empty threat unless the Canucks are willing to risk him on waivers.      

KHL and NHL are very different leagues, especially for Dmen. Size of the ice, skill/speed of the forwards, systems, decision making etc. so KHL all-star doesn't mean much if he can't translate it to the NA game and it's not a foregone conclusion that he can. Quick and good decision making is a tricky one to figure out. He definitely wasn't a top 4 player when he was playing here, but here's hoping he can become that.

The point is that making contractual demands like an AHL clause, or icetime demands when you have less than a season worth of games under your belt is a red flag. Granted I didn't consider waiver eligibility so it might be a moot point in that regard, but if he's threatening to wait it out for UFA status then trade his rights - if a team is willing to take a chance on him - without thinking twice. WD did screw up with him, there's no denying that but it doesn't mean there's 0 accountability on him as well. Show up to camp like you're ready to play in the NHL, and earn your minutes and the entire fanbase will stand behind you because we could use his skillset.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vanuckles said:

KHL and NHL are very different leagues, especially for Dmen. Size of the ice, skill/speed of the forwards, systems, decision making etc. so KHL all-star doesn't mean much if he can't translate it to the NA game and it's not a foregone conclusion that he can. Quick and good decision making is a tricky one to figure out. He definitely wasn't a top 4 player when he was playing here, but here's hoping he can become that.

The point is that making contractual demands like an AHL clause, or icetime demands when you have less than a season worth of games under your belt is a red flag. Granted I didn't consider waiver eligibility so it might be a moot point in that regard, but if he's threatening to wait it out for UFA status then trade his rights - if a team is willing to take a chance on him - without thinking twice. WD did screw up with him, there's no denying that but it doesn't mean there's 0 accountability on him as well. Show up to camp like you're ready to play in the NHL, and earn your minutes and the entire fanbase will stand behind you because we could use his skillset.

I fully agree with your bolded. People saying tryamkin could be a top 2 D man on an NHL team are being ridiculous imo. He was a 3rd pairing D man before he bolted to the khl. He could possibly be a half decent top 4 but at his current age his game has probably maxed out. Could he develop more? Yes. Do most players continue to develop after 25 years old....?   D men peak at around 29 so I suppose he could get a little better and solidify himself as an NHL level 2nd pairing D.

Anyway, if he comes back fine. Put him on the 3rd or 2nd pairing D and he provides something we need in his size / strength.

18 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Try played 3rd pairing minutes but was our 4th best dman that year. 

My opinion of course 

I agree. And I also think that the 22 year old Tram we saw in a Canucks uniform had not yet hit his prime, since few players do by that age, especially Dmen, despite the opinions of the Tram, OJ and Virtanen haters.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I fully agree with your bolded. People saying tryamkin could be a top 2 D man on an NHL team are being ridiculous imo. He was a 3rd pairing D man before he bolted to the khl. He could possibly be a half decent top 4 but at his current age his game has probably maxed out. Could he develop more? Yes. Do most players continue to develop after 25 years old....?   D men peak at around 29 so I suppose he could get a little better and solidify himself as an NHL level 2nd pairing D.

Anyway, if he comes back fine. Put him on the 3rd or 2nd pairing D and he provides something we need in his size / strength.

Wrong.  By any statistical evaluation he was the 4th best D-Man on the team the year he played.

His minutes were #6 but that was because WD had a hate on for him for some reason.

3 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Wrong.  By any statistical evaluation he was the 4th best D-Man on the team the year he played.

His minutes were #6 but that was because WD had a hate on for him for some reason.

The Canucks defense has been horrible the last bunch of years. I won't dispute he may have been the Canucks 4th best D man but on any half decent NHL team he is a 3rd pairing D man. That is fine with me and as I said if he comes back we could use that 3rd pairing 260lb D man on our team.

I just find it funny people have said he could be a 1st pairing. I find that hilarious. Could he be a half decent 2nd pairing D? Maybe...who knows. We have seen all star KHL D men who can't even play in the NHL because it is a much better league.  

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

The Canucks defense has been horrible the last bunch of years. I won't dispute he may have been the Canucks 4th best D man but on any half decent NHL team he is a 3rd pairing D man. That is fine with me and as I said if he comes back we could use that 3rd pairing 260lb D man on our team.

I just find it funny people have said he could be a 1st pairing. I find that hilarious. Could he be a half decent 2nd pairing D? Maybe...who knows. We have seen all star KHL D men who can't even play in the NHL because it is a much better league.  

He was #4 in his first year in the NHL at age 22.

Clearly he is better now.  And the allstar D in the KHL who can't play in the NHL are usually the 5'7" smurfs... which Tryamkin is not.

All of Tryamkin's strengths are magnified in the NHL's smaller ice surface.... reach, hitting, strength on the boards, etc. etc.  His weakness, which is turning from skating backwards to forwards to catch a forward going wide, is minimized because there is less room for for the forward to go wide, and more chance he can crush them on the boards or reach out with his stick and check the puck.

Personally I think he would be a solid #3... no time on the PP, but he could partner Hughes in his first year at even strength.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Watching these playoffs, especially as we head deeper towards the finals. We're seeing aggressive play, hard hitting, and front of net chaos. Tryamkin is built more for these NHL games than the bigger KHL ice. 

Yep, these playoffs are showing nothing has really changed at all... the playoffs are still a different game... with the big, strong, fast variety of pl;ayer being the most effective.

All this talk about how the game is different and how size is unimportant and how smaller players can compete has been proven wrong in this years playoffs....  like last years.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I really want to see a Trym and QH43 pairing someday. Just to see if it works. 

The potential in that pairing imo is crazy good. 

But the potential in Star war movies was also crazy good but after they where made they sucked big time imo. So who knows if it’ll work out until we witness the Trym QH43 pairing happen.

Edited by HockeyHarry

1 hour ago, HockeyHarry said:

I really want to see a Trym and QH43 pairing someday. Just to see if it works. 

The potential in that pairing imo is crazy good. 

But the potential in Star war movies was also crazy good but after they where made they sucked big time imo. So who knows if it’ll work out until we witness the Trym QH43 pairing happen.

Hughes-Woo

Juolevi-Stecher

Tryamkin-Soderstrom

Set for 10 years

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1