The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I knew it! Benning and Linden are human.... it's long so be warned!

nuck luck

Benning did a great job for the Kesler trade.

Just to reference how good it was consitering there was only two teams to trade to. Look what OTT received for Jason Spezza (next to nothing).

After Looking at what Hiller received, I agree Benning may have over paid a bit. But, he got the goalie he wanted.

How does that measure up with the other GM's offers that wanted Miller?

Burrows was paid $8m last year and $6.5m this year and he is hardly a top ten NHL winger.

http://www.capgeek.com/player/662

Tell me what is Manny Malhotra earning these days? Is he earning less because he is aging & his abilities are in decline? That's fair. The days of a player expecting to receive and getting top dollars until they retire-out are gone... except for the very, very elite who did sign some ridiculously long-term contracts that are still valid.

This is why Burrows' next contract.... where ever that may come from... will be for less ...than it is now.

Ryan's contract happened to be up - NOW. He should have been paid according to his worth, now. If a mentoring-transition was expected...& he becomes a 6 million$ back-up sooner than later.... the contract looks even worse. He also...uhmmmed & ahhhhhed...at the presser, basically confirming that there were NO other firm-offers for his services... other than from VAN...or all of the other offers....if there were any - were for considerably less. His only west-coast options were full,... that left VAN. He is not a TOP-4 goalie by stats & rank anymore,... and likely wont improve on that lofty position. He was ranked 19th in SV% last season & 28th in GAA. I wish him luck,... but the 30 NHL-teams should be compensating their players when signed on their worth...not over-paying on diminishing returns.

6 million$ for the body of work he has put forth over the past 3 seasons wasn't warranted ...or seen as fair by many,....accept as patronage for his name,...from one man...Jim Benning. Like Hiller in CGY, they should have made Miller prove himself, again. The league is discouraging the Scott Gomez & Wade Redden type-contracts...as a way of saving owners from themselves...and preventing them from throwing good money for bad...that could sink a franchise and make it less-competitive or even... at risk of folding. They claim that this measure & salary CAPs... will result in more parity. I think they're right.

Benning did a great job for the Kesler trade.

Just to reference how good it was consitering there was only two teams to trade to. Look what OTT received for Jason Spezza (next to nothing).

After Looking at what Hiller received, I agree Benning may have over paid a bit. But, he got the goalie he wanted.

Or not.

Benning's hands were tied by the giant douche Ryan Kesler, but calling it a "great job" because of the Hiller signing is like giving out a participation prize for 2nd to last place.

I don't like any of the moves as they stand now, but I'm still listening and waiting for the move that I like. If we ice a team of 3rd liners in front of a good NHL goalie, we still miss the playoffs. Where does the scoring come from????

Benning on Miller - “He looks calm right now and stuff, but when he puts on the gear, he’s...ALL HAIL THE HYPNOBENNING"

6 million$ for the body of work he has put forth over the past 3 seasons wasn't warranted ...or seen as fair by many,....

The Canucks would not be the only team vying for Miller and Benning would have had to pay what the market stated.

That is usually the way it works.

Burrows getting $8 m last season would hardly be market value.

After reading this steaming pile I think it might be time I log out of CDC for a while. Waaay too much overanalyzing bub. I feel like my crazy ex girlfriend is behind this... Are you Tony Gallagher's illegitimate son because the negativity is impressive.

I'm happy to see that some members have finally started to question Benning/Linden instead of granting him unwarranted/unfathomable support for accomplishing nil... mediocrity. I know that both these guys are well thought of and have a long tenure in professional hockey, but they are still rookies in their new positions...I think it's better to see some results before boarding their "hooray" train.

I was never happy with MG's firing and I think it was too early, considering the main person at fault was the owners for last years debacle....However, I did support Benning/Linden (cautiously) and wanted to give them a chance because they deserved that at the very least. I doubt anyone noticed, but I haven't posted on CDC much cause I really didn't have anything positive to say and, like I mentioned above, I wanted to give the new brass a chance...

One thing I know for certain... and any Canuck fan should as well, is that MG can definitely have a vision and has shown proven that he knows what steps are necessary to obtain it. In quick fashion, he turned the Canucks around when he arrived, turned us into a powerhouse in the NHL and got us to the finals... no ifs, ands or buts here. FACT! MG did a great job and should be praised for what he's accomplished.

To the many posters here who think they're being witty with snide derogatory comments ending with **cough (Gillis)**, you have no clue.

I really feel that GMMG was fired prematurely and wished he was given at least 1 more year. At least until after the draft....

Back to Benning/Linden. After a new coach, the draft, a buyout, trades and FA signings.... Here's my breakdown and the way I see things thus far.

Coach

I like the hiring. However, I think these two put their eggs in one basket and wanted to wait on one guy since the beginning.... if WD decided to decline, we would be up sh!t creek without a paddle. I would have been just as happy with one or two other coaches that were available at the time... it was a huge gamble or B & L are far too indecisive. I just wish the owners would have let MG pick the coach last year...

The Draft

6th, I like the first pick. I don't mind going for a player with big potential that at worst....might fall to the 3rd line, he's a local boy so that's also a bonus. A solid pick from what was available. However, some of the following picks afterwards are the ones I question...

24, Jared McCann - looks very promising and is a solid pick I think, for a team that need a 200 player with skills to center a line. But, this pick seems redundant to me since we have plenty of players like this as prospects already... and I'm pretty confident that a few of these prospects will play in the NHL. What we needed with this pick was somebody who has shown some potential to be an elite player with high-end skills....a boom or bust kinda guy, we need potential 1st line players. This is what our prospects are lacking....in my eyes, we have Shink (so happy he wasn't traded) and Jensen. Unless, B & L and have some secret plan to nab the 1st pick next year....I think we would be better off going for picks that have 1st line potential since we are loaded for the second line.

36, Thatcher Demco - Great goalie. Again....good pick for a team who is short on goalie prospects. We had an early pick in the second round and we use it to pick up ANOTHER goalie? We are up to our ears in great goalie prospects and I think this pick was wasted, now we're drowning and we only have options to throw a great prospect overboard. We got a great coach who is proven, but goalies take years and they are high-risk.... and isn't one player who needed surgery enough?

66, Nikita Tryamkin - Huge guy. If this pick turns out as planned than we made the steal of the draft... However, he was passed over twice and I don't think he was on too many GM's radar, couldn't we have picked him up a little later in the draft? I don't mind this pick but I think it was done too early...

126, 156 and 186 - a small D man with skills...but we have someone similar with higher potential (Subban). A huge C who had surgery and needs developing...but we have someone similar with Lain (minus the surgery). A huge D man...don't know much about the guy except that he's HUGE.

I think the picks were OK....but only that. I would have preferred GMMG to make this years selection since he hit a homerun with it last year.... He had a vision and he was following through with it and might have picked up players that he envisioned we were lacking. Players with elite skills and potential... I thought that size & skill was already addressed when he picked up Kass, Lain, Bo, Gaunce, etc....and he would have been determined to address the combo of speed & elite skills this year (yes, we have JV now....but we still come up short in this area).

Buyout

From my point of view.... we had a fast player with size that played great with Kass on the 3rd! Sure, he was paid too much, but with the cap space that we had have had (now after Miller) he would have been fine for another year... Instead, we bought him out and replaced Booth with some players that we picked up trading a 2nd round pick for? Or was it to bring in Miller? (hate this signing).

Why not just keep Booth... have him play with Kass and let Kass build some more confidence with Booth and sign him next year at a reasonable price? This way, we could have kept the pick that we traded and used it for the promising Dman that the Kings picked up....or any other players with potential? Leaving us with a promising big 3rd line pairing with past chemistry and a great prospect D man...

Instead, we replaced Booth with a player we picked up in a trade.... and have no prospects to show for it? The 50th pick seems a little high to me seeing how Gagne was worth a 6th round pick? Maybe it's not the 50th pick to replace Booth but... Couldn't we have picked up a guy in FA? Don't like this move at all....not my money I know. Booth was fine for the 3rd line....we had the cap space so why buy him out? We seem to be back-logging ourselves with middle-line players...

Trades

I am on the fence with the trades.... nothing great and nothing bad. Just ho-hum with them... It seems that B & L were a little hasty though....trying to make their mark on this team with some big moves and focusing on that alone. This is not always a good thing... if done without perspective.

Yes, the NM or NT clauses effected them, but for any person in the "KNOW"... and you only need to google search to be in the "KNOW", the Canucks were on par with most teams that had NT or NM clauses.

I am absolutely against trading any high picks away for prospects/players who are gonna play on our second or 3rd lines! We are giving our current prospects no chance to actually play if we keep picking up similar players through trades of our valued picks in the draft... WE NEED TO FOCUS ON TOP LINE PLAYERS, FORWARDS OR DMEN.

The ONE thing that I am absolutely positive about is that if GMMG made the exact same deals, CDC would be bytch'n and crying over every single one of them....Fact.

I thought Garrison was worth much more than what we traded him for...

RFA Signings

Miller??? WTF! - do we need another distraction in net? And don't talk about mentoring Lack cause he doesn't like to mentor.

For 3 years? WTF! - two years would have been ideal. 33 years old and ranked 22nd out of 43 goal tenders over the last 4 years....1st round loss to Chicago last year playing for St. Louis.

At 6 million per year? WTF! - 5 million cap per year would be acceptable for an aging goalie who underperformed....and/or who Lack outperformed. Cap space gone....

With an amended NM contract? WTF! - Was this really necessary to sign Miller and could we have negotiated a better contract instead of him giving us a list of only 5 teams? Maybe 10 or 15 teams? Maybe no clause? Did B & L not go through a similar scenario with Kesler this week?

This was the first and only offer Miller saw? WTF! - Was this just a nostalgia thing for Benning? He is so adamant on signing Miller that he just thought he would offer him everything that Miller would have asked for? I don't think GMMG ever made a move like this with such haste and abandonment...

Here's one for all you Gillis haters out there....I hope you don't blindly let this slide and make your immense disappointment known that your beloved MG replacements offered a NM contract to an aging player who is in decline.

AND, I am a little concerned with B & L ability to negotiate a fair contract now... do these two know anything about lowballing on the first offer and negotiating to an agreeable settlement? Calgary got Hiller for 2 years at 9 million? I'd be ok with this... And to me it seems the Canucks needed to address the top 6 positions....goal scoring. At the moment, all the big names seemed to have signed elsewhere since our focus was on signing Miller.

After all is said and done.... it is still too early to judge B & L up till now. I hope that they are not human and have some sort of super human powers at play that will transform this team into a power house in the next few years! From what I've witnessed so far... they make mistakes like the rest of us and let feelings/emotions get in the way of their decision making. And to me it seems the Canucks needed to address the top 6 positions....goal scoring. At the moment, all the big names seemed to have signed elsewhere since our focus was on signing a goalie...

One area that I hope B & L are exceptional at is FA signings cause GMMG was boss.... if not, so far not so good.

Boooooorrrriiinnnnnggggg. Go back to calling up Matt Sekeres and whining on air

My perspective:

Coaching appointment = love it.

6th overall pick = love it.

24th overall pick = love it.

36th overall pick = love it.

66th overall pick = love it.

Other picks = who knows. It's a crap shoot.

Miller signing = love it. He's an excellent goalie.

I am 100% behind Trevor Linden, Jim Benning and Willie Desjardins. 100%.

This.

Unbelievable how people just wait for even the smallest opportunity to put down our team. Just go away. Negativity of those people isn't welcomed anywhere. :picard:

Stpped reading after "I was never happy with MG's firing".

If you couldn't see how badly he needed to go, you were never going to understand the direction Benning and Linden were headed; culture change.

Best of luck to you coping with not getting what you wanted. Some are better than others in dealing with this.

I'm happy to see that some members have finally started to question Benning/Linden instead of granting him unwarranted/unfathomable support for accomplishing nil... mediocrity. I know that both these guys are well thought of and have a long tenure in professional hockey, but they are still rookies in their new positions...I think it's better to see some results before boarding their "hooray" train.

I was never happy with MG's firing and I think it was too early, considering the main person at fault was the owners for last years debacle....However, I did support Benning/Linden (cautiously) and wanted to give them a chance because they deserved that at the very least. I doubt anyone noticed, but I haven't posted on CDC much cause I really didn't have anything positive to say and, like I mentioned above, I wanted to give the new brass a chance...

One thing I know for certain... and any Canuck fan should as well, is that MG can definitely have a vision and has shown proven that he knows what steps are necessary to obtain it. In quick fashion, he turned the Canucks around when he arrived, turned us into a powerhouse in the NHL and got us to the finals... no ifs, ands or buts here. FACT! MG did a great job and should be praised for what he's accomplished.

To the many posters here who think they're being witty with snide derogatory comments ending with **cough (Gillis)**, you have no clue.

I really feel that GMMG was fired prematurely and wished he was given at least 1 more year. At least until after the draft....

Back to Benning/Linden. After a new coach, the draft, a buyout, trades and FA signings.... Here's my breakdown and the way I see things thus far.

Coach

I like the hiring. However, I think these two put their eggs in one basket and wanted to wait on one guy since the beginning.... if WD decided to decline, we would be up sh!t creek without a paddle. I would have been just as happy with one or two other coaches that were available at the time... it was a huge gamble or B & L are far too indecisive. I just wish the owners would have let MG pick the coach last year...

The Draft

6th, I like the first pick. I don't mind going for a player with big potential that at worst....might fall to the 3rd line, he's a local boy so that's also a bonus. A solid pick from what was available. However, some of the following picks afterwards are the ones I question...

24, Jared McCann - looks very promising and is a solid pick I think, for a team that need a 200 player with skills to center a line. But, this pick seems redundant to me since we have plenty of players like this as prospects already... and I'm pretty confident that a few of these prospects will play in the NHL. What we needed with this pick was somebody who has shown some potential to be an elite player with high-end skills....a boom or bust kinda guy, we need potential 1st line players. This is what our prospects are lacking....in my eyes, we have Shink (so happy he wasn't traded) and Jensen. Unless, B & L and have some secret plan to nab the 1st pick next year....I think we would be better off going for picks that have 1st line potential since we are loaded for the second line.

36, Thatcher Demco - Great goalie. Again....good pick for a team who is short on goalie prospects. We had an early pick in the second round and we use it to pick up ANOTHER goalie? We are up to our ears in great goalie prospects and I think this pick was wasted, now we're drowning and we only have options to throw a great prospect overboard. We got a great coach who is proven, but goalies take years and they are high-risk.... and isn't one player who needed surgery enough?

66, Nikita Tryamkin - Huge guy. If this pick turns out as planned than we made the steal of the draft... However, he was passed over twice and I don't think he was on too many GM's radar, couldn't we have picked him up a little later in the draft? I don't mind this pick but I think it was done too early...

126, 156 and 186 - a small D man with skills...but we have someone similar with higher potential (Subban). A huge C who had surgery and needs developing...but we have someone similar with Lain (minus the surgery). A huge D man...don't know much about the guy except that he's HUGE.

I think the picks were OK....but only that. I would have preferred GMMG to make this years selection since he hit a homerun with it last year.... He had a vision and he was following through with it and might have picked up players that he envisioned we were lacking. Players with elite skills and potential... I thought that size & skill was already addressed when he picked up Kass, Lain, Bo, Gaunce, etc....and he would have been determined to address the combo of speed & elite skills this year (yes, we have JV now....but we still come up short in this area).

Buyout

From my point of view.... we had a fast player with size that played great with Kass on the 3rd! Sure, he was paid too much, but with the cap space that we had have had (now after Miller) he would have been fine for another year... Instead, we bought him out and replaced Booth with some players that we picked up trading a 2nd round pick for? Or was it to bring in Miller? (hate this signing).

Why not just keep Booth... have him play with Kass and let Kass build some more confidence with Booth and sign him next year at a reasonable price? This way, we could have kept the pick that we traded and used it for the promising Dman that the Kings picked up....or any other players with potential? Leaving us with a promising big 3rd line pairing with past chemistry and a great prospect D man...

Instead, we replaced Booth with a player we picked up in a trade.... and have no prospects to show for it? The 50th pick seems a little high to me seeing how Gagne was worth a 6th round pick? Maybe it's not the 50th pick to replace Booth but... Couldn't we have picked up a guy in FA? Don't like this move at all....not my money I know. Booth was fine for the 3rd line....we had the cap space so why buy him out? We seem to be back-logging ourselves with middle-line players...

Trades

I am on the fence with the trades.... nothing great and nothing bad. Just ho-hum with them... It seems that B & L were a little hasty though....trying to make their mark on this team with some big moves and focusing on that alone. This is not always a good thing... if done without perspective.

Yes, the NM or NT clauses effected them, but for any person in the "KNOW"... and you only need to google search to be in the "KNOW", the Canucks were on par with most teams that had NT or NM clauses.

I am absolutely against trading any high picks away for prospects/players who are gonna play on our second or 3rd lines! We are giving our current prospects no chance to actually play if we keep picking up similar players through trades of our valued picks in the draft... WE NEED TO FOCUS ON TOP LINE PLAYERS, FORWARDS OR DMEN.

The ONE thing that I am absolutely positive about is that if GMMG made the exact same deals, CDC would be bytch'n and crying over every single one of them....Fact.

I thought Garrison was worth much more than what we traded him for...

RFA Signings

Miller??? WTF! - do we need another distraction in net? And don't talk about mentoring Lack cause he doesn't like to mentor.

For 3 years? WTF! - two years would have been ideal. 33 years old and ranked 22nd out of 43 goal tenders over the last 4 years....1st round loss to Chicago last year playing for St. Louis.

At 6 million per year? WTF! - 5 million cap per year would be acceptable for an aging goalie who underperformed....and/or who Lack outperformed. Cap space gone....

With an amended NM contract? WTF! - Was this really necessary to sign Miller and could we have negotiated a better contract instead of him giving us a list of only 5 teams? Maybe 10 or 15 teams? Maybe no clause? Did B & L not go through a similar scenario with Kesler this week?

This was the first and only offer Miller saw? WTF! - Was this just a nostalgia thing for Benning? He is so adamant on signing Miller that he just thought he would offer him everything that Miller would have asked for? I don't think GMMG ever made a move like this with such haste and abandonment...

Here's one for all you Gillis haters out there....I hope you don't blindly let this slide and make your immense disappointment known that your beloved MG replacements offered a NM contract to an aging player who is in decline.

AND, I am a little concerned with B & L ability to negotiate a fair contract now... do these two know anything about lowballing on the first offer and negotiating to an agreeable settlement? Calgary got Hiller for 2 years at 9 million? I'd be ok with this... And to me it seems the Canucks needed to address the top 6 positions....goal scoring. At the moment, all the big names seemed to have signed elsewhere since our focus was on signing Miller.

After all is said and done.... it is still too early to judge B & L up till now. I hope that they are not human and have some sort of super human powers at play that will transform this team into a power house in the next few years! From what I've witnessed so far... they make mistakes like the rest of us and let feelings/emotions get in the way of their decision making. And to me it seems the Canucks needed to address the top 6 positions....goal scoring. At the moment, all the big names seemed to have signed elsewhere since our focus was on signing a goalie...

One area that I hope B & L are exceptional at is FA signings cause GMMG was boss.... if not, so far not so good.

Well I appreciate your passion as a fan I think questioning the management groups decisions at this point is a little early. Benning has a reputation as a great assessor of talent. So although you question his picks they are based on his assesssment of our organizational needs. At this point I'll side with a hockey man as opposed to a fan's assessment.

I don't think we have too many potential centres so I have no issue with the McCann pick and getting the top-rated goaltender in the draft is hardly a problem. Perhaps you over-value our goaltending prospects. As far as our new "Chara-like" D prospect does it really matter if he was passed over previously, perhaps he is on everyone's radar now? He may also have been passed over due to the reluctance of teams to draft Russian players recently.

As far as free agency I'm glad we signed Miller. Lack was not good after Luongo left last year so I'm not sold on him as a Number 1 yet. He's a very capable back-up that can take #1 role for a period of time if need be. Free agency also isn't over so we may still add some pieces.

I wasn't overly happy with Gillis' firing either but given last year and some of his moves I'm not surprised he took a bullet for it. What's done is done. They aren't bringing him back and it doesn't seem other teams are clamoring to hire him.

Relax and stay on the "hooray" train for now.

I stopped hoping for something insightful when I read that you were against firing MG. He drove this team into the ground for 3 years straight so your opinion doesn't mean much.

It think Benning and Co have done an absolutely amazing job thus far.

I stopped hoping for something insightful when I read that you were against firing MG. He drove this team into the ground for 3 years straight so your opinion doesn't mean much.

It think Benning and Co have done an absolutely amazing job thus far.

I don't know how any of you got past the user name before you figured out it was going to be garbage.

My favorite line was about giving them a chance and making this thread on July 2nd.

CDC culture is a wonderful thing.

Poor taste in women (6 mill a year should get you a lot better squeeze than that monster he's dragging around)

What are you, 12? Aside from the fact that Ryan Miller's wife is smoking hot anyway, what in the hell does her appearance have to do with his level of play? Even if she was unattractive (which she isn't), did the thought that they may have other things in common ever enter into your pea sized brain?

I am a believer of linden and benning . Id be lying if I said I wasn't afraid that aqua man is still trying to run the show , or at least tell these guys that they need the revenue of playoff hockey .

We need a rebuild . that doesn't mean we need to tank , it only means if we are trading youth for a outside chance at a playoff spot we are losing .

Archived