The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks re-sign Kassian

Im glad im not gonna have to change my Kassian jersey anytime soon it looks like. Kid is only gonna get better. He didnt get too much time with the Sedins and when/if he was with Kesler, he wouldnt get too many chances with how much Kes hogged/or just shot the puck on net.

I like Kassian a lot, but one drawback I have with him is that after watching his highlights from junior and with Buffalo, I expected an absolute monster. I don't know if that was muted because of Torts' system, but I'm still waiting for Kassian to consistently, game to game, play hard and be that monster I think he can be. At the end of last season, he showed some offensive ability, but I'm still looking for some crashing and banging and more physicality and rough stuff from him. it's too bad this isn't 1992, because I think if Kass had played in that era, he would have been far more effective. The NHL rules seem to mute these power forwards and you have to be very smart to play that kind of game and not end up a victim (i.e., in the sin bin all the time).

Kassians CAP hit is perfect for what he has done. As for Tanev he hasn't done really anything, he deserves around 1.8-2.0 mil, no more. Tanev is easily replaceable for what he brings. Vey needs a 10% increase on his 900,000, so I expect that he gets between 1.1-1.2 mil.

Solid signing, definitely bridge contract. I'm pretty excited! My favorite Kassian goals was the one against the Wild, after the faceoff he pushed back the Wild player and sniped it through. Seemed Bertuzzi like, and I got so excited. Looking forward to seeing that next season and hopefully onwards.

A $3.5-5M offer sheet starts to ask questions, and the compensation is a 1st and a 3rd. Not great, especially if it's a competitive team putting those picks late in the round, but ok.

A 1st, and a 3rd in a deep draft? If someone offered Tanev an offer sheet giving us that, I would take that and run like the wind.

I agree a $3.3M offer sheet, giving us a 2nd, would be hard not to match. I still think there is a potential trade in the works, Tanev might be involved in it.

tanev isn't a surefire anything yet. He's played well, but he still plays like a young player and he should accept being paid like one. Until he proves himself, and proves he can be a little more aware on the ice, regarding taking humongous hits, I wouldn't give him more than $2.75. If he holds out, he's a moderately valuable piece to be moved, without much impact on the defensive core.

He's proved himself to be consistently great in whichever roles he's in.

I think he could it at around 2.5 on a 2 year deal, but lets not act like he's a bottom pair guy, he's clearly shown he's great on the PK & a top 4 guy 5 on 5.

Tanev is 2-3 million. There is simply no way he gets over 3.

PK Subban got 2.875 mil on a 2-yr bridge contract.. Tanev is not making more than 3 mil on a bridge.

We will see what happens, I think he comes in at around 2.5, but if its more than, even if its a bit north of 3 its not going to be horrible.

Tanev has to look out for himself at this point because he's 26 and has to consider how tough the next few years are going to be on him.

He's 185lbs? Not exactly ideal for the 'shutdown' role we're tossed him into. If a team offers him enough compensation (Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585) for a 2015 1st and 3rd rounder, I'd say do it.

It's really about where Benning sees Tanev long-term. Is he part of the rebuild or not? By the time the rebuild's over he'll be 30+ and relied on a lot more.

Tanev has to look out for himself at this point because he's 26 and has to consider how tough the next few years are going to be on him.

He's 185lbs? Not exactly ideal for the 'shutdown' role we're tossed him into. If a team offers him enough compensation (Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585) for a 2015 1st and 3rd rounder, I'd say do it.

It's really about where Benning sees Tanev long-term. Is he part of the rebuild or not? By the time the rebuild's over he'll be 30+ and relied on a lot more.

Tanev is 24. 25 this year in December. He is still young for a D player and Has potential to keep improving. He can still put on some extra weigh too, Its not impossible. He wont turn into Suban over night. I am excited though to see if Willie can improve his Offensive side. He isn't a complete dud when it comes to getting a goal here and there.

Tanev is 2-3 million. There is simply no way he gets over 3.

PK Subban got 2.875 mil on a 2-yr bridge contract.. Tanev is not making more than 3 mil on a bridge.

i personally don't see tanev signing a bridge deal. bridge deals are for guys who by all accounts have a ton of potential but haven't really demonstrated much of it.

the canucks know what they have in tanev. he's already a top 4 defenceman, and by all indications he will continue to improve every facet of his game every year. i fully expect a travis hamonic-esque deal, somewhere between $3.25 and $3.75 mil for 4-6 years.

I would have no problem at all giving Chris Tanev a 3 year, 3 million per deal. (see Bieksa, Edler) that would still make him a RFA at the end (under 28 and less than 7 years in the league). But back on topic, perfect contract for Zack! He gets to establish himself as a top 6 forward over the next two years, while Radim is playing up there too. Then Kas's and Radim's contracts expire at the same time so we can give Kass the big payday while Vrbata walks (or best case, is traded at the deadline).

Guest Dasein

i personally don't see tanev signing a bridge deal. bridge deals are for guys who by all accounts have a ton of potential but haven't really demonstrated much of it.

the canucks know what they have in tanev. he's already a top 4 defenceman, and by all indications he will continue to improve every facet of his game every year. i fully expect a travis hamonic-esque deal, somewhere between $3.25 and $3.75 mil for 4-6 years.

As long as it doesn't carry a NTC and is below $3.75mil, I would be fine with a longer term deal.

Archived