The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks re-sign Kassian

You're on crack, he's been the most optimistic player on our team even though he's been shifting through every line, he's been showing a steady increase in his overall play and skill. Beast mode was entered during the last bit of the stretch. Give him a line with PROPER linemates rather then being on 4th line and watch him flourish.

Maybe you should read up in the thread it was a response to a poster who said he had a poor attitude, you should put down the pipe.

Tanev was on our top pairing last season, and is a surefire top 4 defenseman at this stage.

Considering he is only 24, I do hope its a bridge deal like Kassian, which might push the price down, but somewhere in between 3-4 wouldn't be an overpayment at all IMO, as I said he's a top 4 dman, and top 4 dmen go for more than 2-3.

Anyways I hope his deal is 2 years and inbetween 2.5-3.5 Million. 2.75 as you suggested would be great on a bridge deal, then after that if he continues to progress and establish himself as a #2/3 guy (which I think is almost a guarantee) he can get 4+ with some term after this deal.

tanev isn't a surefire anything yet. He's played well, but he still plays like a young player and he should accept being paid like one. Until he proves himself, and proves he can be a little more aware on the ice, regarding taking humongous hits, I wouldn't give him more than $2.75. If he holds out, he's a moderately valuable piece to be moved, without much impact on the defensive core.

Yes he's got a great attitude towards being a canuck. He takes stupid penalty's at very important time of the game. I think he wastes to much time in the box when he could be scoring.

BS he took no more dumb penaltys than the rest of the team, arguably Danny, Hansen and Higgins were worse. His suspensions were a little stupid but it gains him a rep of don`t ef with me or my mates.

We should be good with the other RFA's.

Tanev is probably worth anywhere between 2-4 Million.

Vey is worth under 1 Million, as is Weber.

So we should be fine.

Kassian deal is good.

Tanev is an RFA? I wouldn't pay him more than 2 million. I like the guy but if it's big money let someone offer sheet him and collect draft picks in next years big deep draft.......

Mind you, some risk with Kassian. As the suspensions already show, he's the kind of guy that doesn't always keep him mind and emotions 100% in check. Which is fine if he doesn't explode.

But there's a chance he could get crazy. I would keep an eye on him, and make sure he has the right people to talk to.

If he keeps it just barely under control then we could have Bertuzzi V2.0. For better or for worse.

Sign Tanev to a two year deal like Kassian's deal.

In 2 years time Hamhuis and Bieksa's contracts will be up and both will be well into their mid 30's, and thats when most likely we will maximize with Tanev's value and resign him.

Im not completely sold on Tanev yet to fork over big cash or a large contract for him. As dependable and calm he is, I expect at least more offense from him in the future because he will most likely never add a physical dimension to his game.

Great contract, wish it could've been a bit longer but caphit is great

ATTA BOY BENNY

If it was any longer than 2 years he would be a UFA at the end of it. Since he's got a 2 year deal, he will have been in the NHL for 6 years at the end (which is under 7 - the limit until you're a UFA after your contract) so he can remain an RFA. Benning knows wtf he's doing.

Mind you, some risk with Kassian. As the suspensions already show, he's the kind of guy that doesn't always keep him mind and emotions 100% in check. Which is fine if he doesn't explode.

But there's a chance he could get crazy. I would keep an eye on him, and make sure he has the right people to talk to.

If he keeps it just barely under control then we could have Bertuzzi V2.0. For better or for worse.

Master's in Social Work Willie Desjardins can be a great mentor for Kassian, if he's willing to listen.

Guest Dasein

We should be good with the other RFA's.

Tanev is probably worth anywhere between 2-4 Million.

Vey is worth under 1 Million, as is Weber.

So we should be fine.

Tanev is 2-3 million. There is simply no way he gets over 3.

PK Subban got 2.875 mil on a 2-yr bridge contract.. Tanev is not making more than 3 mil on a bridge.

Kassian deal is good.

Tanev is an RFA? I wouldn't pay him more than 2 million. I like the guy but if it's big money let someone offer sheet him and collect draft picks in next years big deep draft.......

So if someone like Tampa or San Jose offers him $3.3M you just walk away because the 'reward' is a 2015 draft pick? The compensation for that price would be only a 2nd round pick, and with a top team it'd be 50+ overall. That's not good compensation for Tanev.

A $3.5-5M offer sheet starts to ask questions, and the compensation is a 1st and a 3rd. Not great, especially if it's a competitive team putting those picks late in the round, but ok.

Now if someone offer sheets him at $5.05M+ that's too rich I'd think, and it'd get us a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd. But who can afford to give him that much and has all three of their own picks to pay in compensation? As luck would have it, a CBJ reporter asked the same question for Johansen:

So, if you eliminate the teams that don't have salary cap room and don't have the required draft picks, you're left with a list of eight teams: Arizona, Calgary, Colorado, Minnesota, Montreal, Nashville, San Jose and Winnipeg.

That's pretty much the same list for anyone who could offer sheet Tanev, although that's considering a ~$6M offer sheet. Nashville and Colorado don't need any more right handed defencemen, nor does Winnipeg at first glance. Calgary perhaps is interesting as a lottery team next year but already have Wideman and just picked up Englland so don't have a lot of room on the right. Montreal? Subban and Weaver at least, but maybe. Minny? Dumba, Blum, Spurgeon, Prosser. San Jose? Demers, Braun, Burns. Arizona? Stone, Morris, Michalek, Murphy.

The teams we have to worry about aren't all that much of a worry as they're fairly solid for right handed D.

There was more worry for Kassian actually, perhaps why we've signed him first. In any event, I'm fine with who we've signed and our prospects in getting Tanev and Vey signed as well.

Archived