The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat next season

Canuckler87

Higgins + Hansen to NYI for Clutterbuck

Both have limited ntc's and you think they'd both choose the Islanders? Being from New York Higgins might. But what do we want Clutterbuck for? I'd rather have either Higgins or Hansen. Never mind giving up both for him.

I would say Bo instead of our other top prospects because he seems the most NHL ready of them all. Shinkaruck had an injury filled season, he definitely needs another year of junior to get his groove. Meanwhile, it would be a shock to see Virtanen suit up for us from the start of the season. Ditto for McCann. Jensen is the only other top prospect we have besides Horvat that can come up and make a difference. Gaunce isn't ready either.

Shinkaruk has completed 4 years of Junior, and turns 20 in October, meaning if he doesn't make the Canucks, he will be sent down to Utica.

If Benning's teams are to have skill and speed in the top 6 and size and speed in the bottom 6 and roll 4 lines....

How then do prospects slot in when they are ready? What I'm saying is that would a projected top 6 player like Shinkaruk (smaller size) slot directly into the top 6 or work his way up? And by ready, I mean having learned defensive responsibility and gotten stronger in the AHL.

Clearly Horvat is a special case because he won't benefit much if at all from a 4th year in junior. He's big enough to play in the NHL, I hear he's now 220 lbs but is concerned about his speed with the extra weight. Speed, I think was always an issue but players with intelligence can make up for that. Benning at least has made it clear that Horvat has the opportunity. We just have to wait and see.

Guest Dasein

If Benning's teams are to have skill and speed in the top 6 and size and speed in the bottom 6 and roll 4 lines....

How then do prospects slot in when they are ready? What I'm saying is that would a projected top 6 player like Shinkaruk (smaller size) slot directly into the top 6 or work his way up? And by ready, I mean having learned defensive responsibility and gotten stronger in the AHL.

Clearly Horvat is a special case because he won't benefit much if at all from a 4th year in junior. He's big enough to play in the NHL, I hear he's now 220 lbs but is concerned about his speed with the extra weight. Speed, I think was always an issue but players with intelligence can make up for that. Benning at least has made it clear that Horvat has the opportunity. We just have to wait and see.

That's a huge misconception IMO. Bo can still develop more in the OHL - for instance, he has yet to dominate the league offensively. There are players who had better 3rd years in junior than Horvat that went back for their 4th, and have benefited from it.

No need. Kesler was already traded.

He was a cancer, right? That's what we're going with?

funny because I was thinking this exact thing last night but refrained from clicking submit in fear of a getting flamed. So good luck BTSN!

I agree with most people thinking that horvat is ready but I don't see a point in rushing him. He's definitely one of our best prospects that being said it wouldn't kill our shot of winning the Stanley cup if he was sent back for another year ^_^. It would do him good as well as the future of our team, but really we'll see if he cracks the top 6. I just can wait to see shinkaruk and horvat playing together, they re going to do some real damage

Canuckler87, on 09 Jul 2014 - 6:08 PM, said:snapback.png

I would say Bo instead of our other top prospects because he seems the most NHL ready of them all. Shinkaruck had an injury filled season, he definitely needs another year of junior to get his groove. Meanwhile, it would be a shock to see Virtanen suit up for us from the start of the season. Ditto for McCann. Jensen is the only other top prospect we have besides Horvat that can come up and make a difference. Gaunce isn't ready either.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Shinkaruk makes the team out of camp. He seems to have that fire and determination that great players usually have.

>>> If I'm not mistaken because Hunter Shinkaruk has a late 1994 birthday - he is eligible for the AHL this season. Bo on the other hand is very AHL ready but because he is just 19 - must return to the OHL after 9 games if the Canucks don't want to keep him or burn a year of his entry deal.

The idea of him playing (and possibly wearing the C) for Team Canada on home soil seems like a slam dunk if you're Linden/Benning.

Maybe on a line with JV???

I'm not holding my breath about Bo or any other Canucks prospect, outside of Jensen getting a crack at the lineup.

I say that because the philosophy is to roll 4 lines. Line 1 Line 2 Line 3a and line 3b. The current line up as it stands is quite reasonable. I think the kids are going to get a good look and if any of the veterans struggle in the first half of the season they will be moved. Players such as: Burrows, Higgins, Hansen are the likely targets to move up front. I suppose Kassian is a potential move but not sure where the leadership group is with him. Low cost contract however.

Cannot move the Sedins. Will not move new acquisitions. I think the Vey, Richardson, Matthias are those meat and potato guys they talk about. They are obviously high on Vey. Matthias is versatile and can play C and W. Richardson has that grit element and winning experience.

I think Coach WD can get something out of Burrows and he will have a bounce back season. Up tempo offence should help the team. ….ok I'm rambling now.

Thoughts?

Canuckler87, on 09 Jul 2014 - 6:08 PM, said:snapback.png

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Shinkaruk makes the team out of camp. He seems to have that fire and determination that great players usually have.

>>> If I'm not mistaken because Hunter Shinkaruk has a late 1994 birthday - he is eligible for the AHL this season. Bo on the other hand is very AHL ready but because he is just 19 - must return to the OHL after 9 games if the Canucks don't want to keep him or burn a year of his entry deal.

The idea of him playing (and possibly wearing the C) for Team Canada on home soil seems like a slam dunk if you're Linden/Benning.

Maybe on a line with JV???

I think Shinkaruk is one of those guys who just finds the back of the net. Doesn't dazzle you but somehow scores. Improved condition and foot speed and he could be something special to watch. Again, unless the old regime players struggle i suspect there won't be much in terms of room for any of the young Canucks.

I agree with most people thinking that horvat is ready but I don't see a point in rushing him. He's definitely one of our best prospects that being said it wouldn't kill our shot of winning the Stanley cup if he was sent back for another year ^_^. It would do him good as well as the future of our team, but really we'll see if he cracks the top 6. I just can wait to see shinkaruk and horvat playing together, they re going to do some real damage

one more year and he will be playing top 6 minutes with Bonino and Jensen. ( bonino plays wing too). This will likely be the last year of the good ol boys club. At least at forward. You have to think they need to start looking at Corrado too on D.

I hate the prospect of Nick Bonino being our 2nd line centre, and that's the guy Horvat is going to have to take a spot from to be on the team this season.

Bonino plays wing and centre. versatile to provide a spot to Bo. having that ability throw either in the dot is a good thing.

Do you know what waiver eligible means? Or how about the term depth?

Bonino outproduced Kesler last year while splitting his time between the 2nd and 3rd line while Kesler split his time between our 1st and 2nd lines. I think you're selling him short. Or maybe you just have an unrealistic view of a second line player.

Vey wouldn't clear waivers to go to Utica. It's why LA was trading him. With no spot on the team for him they were faced with losing him for nothing. The same reason we moved Grabner. Vey is guaranteed a spot on the team. We didn't trade a 2nd round pick to put him through waivers and lose him for nothing.

Depth doesn't stop with the Canucks roster. Having Shinkaruk and Jensen in Utica gives us quality depth when injuries occur. Patience grasshopper. There's nothing wrong with developing your prospects so they're fully ready to play against men in the big league. Jensen has the best chance of making the team. All he has to do is outperform a veteran to steal his spot. And that's the way it should be.

Good comments. I agree. That said, Bonino did play with Getz and Perry often. First PP min too. I don't sell him short. I think he will be a fine #2. If not, Bo will fill that spot in a year or two and Bonino will move to the wing.

Archived