The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat next season

Canuckler87

Guest Dasein

Development is all relative, depends on the player and how they train on their off time.

With the hip surgery, Shinkaruk is behind a year in development, and he didn't have the conditioning last year. No reason to believe that he'll miraculously have that by September when he supposedly hasn't worked on cardio since his surgery.

Wellwood got by for years

Where is he now?

If Wellwood is what you hope to get out of Shinkaruk then good for you. He'll be there with minimal effort..

I want Shinkaruk to learn from an early age that he's going to need conditioning to be a good NHLer for years to come..

I expected Bo to shine in the Memorial Cup finals for London and although he played a solid two-way game he never put the team on his shoulders and made the distinction of being the difference for his team during the tournament.

He needs to be over the top at the junior level to even begin the process of NHL legitimacy at 18 years of age.

A big part of me wants to see Bo stick, but I think he could really hit another level with his offence if he went back to juniors. Honestly, the best course for his development is another year.

Guest Dasein

Theres a decent chance that we could see Bo, Hunter, Jake and Jared on team Canada for the world juniors. That would be a sweet ars Christmas present.

Not Hunter (too old), but seeing Bo, Jake and Jared would be amazing.

Cassels and Demko have a shot at team USA, Cederholm for SWE, and not sure if we have any more.

Not Hunter (too old), but seeing Bo, Jake and Jared would be amazing.

Cassels and Demko have a shot at team USA, Cederholm for SWE, and not sure if we have any more.

I think McCann will be left off the team. He might earn his way on by the time they pick the team, but something tells me politics will keep him off. I can see Horvat and Virtanen on the team though for sure barring injury.

Was listening to the Team 1040 , and an interview with Bo Horvat was on. Kid seems very polite and mature for his age. They asked him if there was anything more for him to learn in junior and he humbly said that there is always something new to learn and improve on. It's pretty clear he wants to be up with the big club though (obviously)

There was a discussion on what would be best for him next season. JB has a plan to run all four lines, so even on the forth line Bo could average 10-15 minutes a game. It's not like with Torts where he would be sitting on the bench with cobwebs on his equipment.

He seemed kind of sad about the change in of management. But that's understandable, he is after all Gillis' guy having been drafted by him. Im sure Gillis would've loved to give this guy every opportunity to succeed in order to make the Cory trade look respectable to the fans that hate him for it.

I agree with what one person said on the Team with regards to Bo; give him a every chance to make the team. Wait till a few games, if he's REALLY out of place, send him back. Otherwise, keep him and let him go through the painful rookie learning process. By December, loan him to the Canadian Junior Team. Then make a decision whether to send him to junior for half a year or keep him with the Canucks.

I feel this would be an adequate way to go about it next season with Bo. Patience is key. Expecting big things from this kid eventually, but not necessarily next season.

If they arent sure in the first place, he should go back to junior and not burn his first contract.

Why couldnt you post this in Horvat talk in prospects section?

Benning has said if a player is good enough to help our team win he will make room for them, if horvat earns a spot or outplays someone higher on the depth chart he will get that spot, I expect bo to get the 9 game audition or at least a few, time will tell, but he will have every opportunity to make the team

Who are you going to put through waivers to give him his audition?

Sedin/Sedin/Vrbata

Higgins/Bonino/Kassian

Burrows/Vey/Hansen

Mattias/Richardson/Dorsett

Sestito

Edler/Tanev

Hamhuis/Bieksa

Stanton/Sbisa

Weber/Sanguinetti

Miller/Lack

That's a full 23 man roster with nobody that's waiver exempt. Barring injury to any of the above nobody will "get a look" this year. Other than a preseason inury, the only way Horvat is on the team is to play head and shoulders better to steal a spot and force Benning to move somebody.

The odds are Horvat is back to junior for the year. It's not a waste of a year, it's another year of honing skills, and an extra year of physical and mental maturity. That's not a bad thing. You all may have to settle for Vey to satisfy your prospect woodies this year along with Jensen and Shinkaruk as call ups.

I would say Bo instead of our other top prospects because he seems the most NHL ready of them all. Shinkaruck had an injury filled season, he definitely needs another year of junior to get his groove. Meanwhile, it would be a shock to see Virtanen suit up for us from the start of the season. Ditto for McCann. Jensen is the only other top prospect we have besides Horvat that can come up and make a difference. Gaunce isn't ready either.

I thought Gaunce looked more ready than any other of the rookies last camp, and he had a great year on top of it. I wasn't terribly impressed with Horvat at the WJHC, but I do think he's going to be a good Canuck at some point in the next 2-3 years.

Sedin/Sedin/Vrbata

Higgins/Bonino/Kassian

Burrows/Vey/Hansen

Sestito

I'm sickened by the amount of third line tweeners we have on this team...

Higgins, Bonino, Kassian, Burrows, Vey, Hansen and Mattias. There isn't a legit bonafide 2nd liner in that group. We are only hoping that Bonino can slot in as 2C. I think there will be competition for the 3C position between Horvat, Gaunce and Vey. Vey can always be sent down to the Comets.

Even though I love the guy, I really hope Burrows waives his NTC. We need a spot on the wing opened up for guys like Shinkaruk and Jensen to have something to compete for. Burying Mattias on the 4th line is a waste of his talents.

Higgins, Bonino, Kassian, Burrows, Vey, Hansen and Mattias. There isn't a legit bonafide 2nd liner in that group. We are only hoping that Bonino can slot in as 2C. I think there will be competition for the 3C position between Horvat, Gaunce and Vey. Vey can always be sent down to the Comets.

Even though I love the guy, I really hope Burrows waives his NTC. We need a spot on the wing opened up for guys like Shinkaruk and Jensen to have something to compete for. Burying Mattias on the 4th line is a waste of his talents.

vey cannot be sent down to the comets. Bo will more than likely end up as a 2c and kassian is on his way to making himself a 2nd liner.

Sedin/Sedin/Vrbata

Higgins/Bonino/Kassian

Burrows/Vey/Hansen

Sestito

Edler/Tanev

Hamhuis/Bieksa

Stanton/Sbisa

Weber/Sanguinetti

Miller/Lack

That's a full 23 man roster with nobody that's waiver exempt. Barring injury to any of the above nobody will "get a look" this year. Other than a preseason inury, the only way Horvat is on the team is to play head and shoulders better to steal a spot and force Benning to move somebody.

The odds are Horvat is back to junior for the year. It's not a waste of a year, it's another year of honing skills, and an extra year of physical and mental maturity. That's not a bad thing. You all may have to settle for Vey to satisfy your prospect woodies this year along with Jensen and Shinkaruk as call ups.

I see it as similar to what happened with Scheiffele, but i've heard rumours that Horvat or Domi will be traded if they return, for a quick rebuild. So, I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up with McDavid. I hope not. We do need to create a roster spot, though. If Burrows won't waive, i'd put him on waivers..

Do you know what waiver eligible means? Or how about the term depth?

Bonino outproduced Kesler last year while splitting his time between the 2nd and 3rd line while Kesler split his time between our 1st and 2nd lines. I think you're selling him short. Or maybe you just have an unrealistic view of a second line player.

Vey wouldn't clear waivers to go to Utica. It's why LA was trading him. With no spot on the team for him they were faced with losing him for nothing. The same reason we moved Grabner. Vey is guaranteed a spot on the team. We didn't trade a 2nd round pick to put him through waivers and lose him for nothing.

Depth doesn't stop with the Canucks roster. Having Shinkaruk and Jensen in Utica gives us quality depth when injuries occur. Patience grasshopper. There's nothing wrong with developing your prospects so they're fully ready to play against men in the big league. Jensen has the best chance of making the team. All he has to do is outperform a veteran to steal his spot. And that's the way it should be.

Archived