The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) It's a numbers game...

bigbadcanucks

What are the number assignments for potential new Canucks? Word was Gillis wasn't all that fond of high numbers...will Linden/Benning/Desjardins allow for high numbers?

And with #19 retired, what would be the number of choice for Cassels and McCann? Between the two of them, who gets #91?

Defence

Luca Sbisa...#5?

Forwards

Radim Vrbata...#17?

Nick Bonino...#13?

Bo Horvat...#53 (assigned already)

Linden Vey...? Does he stick with #57 that he wore for the Kings?

Derek Dorsett...#51?

Niklas Jensen...is he going to be #46 during his entire Canucks tenure?

Brendan Gaunce...does he go #41 or #61? Does he stay #50?

Hunter Shinkaruk...he's been #9 his WHL career...what does he go with?

What becomes of numbers 4, 7, 21, 24, 25?

Will the Canucks ever allow for use of nos. 11, 28, 3638 and 37? Personally, I hope these numbers remain out of circulation out of obvious respect for those who wore these numbers (minus Messier).

With Ryan Miller taking #30, what number is assigned to Cannatta? Will he dare take #1?

Anyways, something non-consequential to ponder.

Number 11 isn't retired for Messier. It was done in honour of Wayne Maki who played for the Canucks for three seasons 1970-1972. Wayne died of brain cancer in 1974.

Number 11 isn't retired for Messier. It was done in honour of Wayne Maki who played for the Canucks for three seasons 1970-1972. Wayne died of brain cancer in 1974.

His point wasn't that it was retired for Messier. He was simply pointing out how pathetic a human being Messier was by demanding that number.

Number when it comes to hockey are a rather intriguing thing. it starts from way down in the lower levels when kids are basically handed a number: 1 and 30 (or 31) is always a goalie, 2 through 6 (a fuzzy cutoff) go to defensemen and then 8 through 29 fill out the rest of the forwards ranks.

For some reason, certain numbers worn by players always illicit a certain response from my brain. I see a number and ASSUME that the player plays a certain way. A lot of this is explainable- a great or legendary player wears a certain number and often young kids who grew up idolizing them and modelling their game on them will take that number as well. The propensity for a jersey number to contain a guy 'in the mold of' some style of play is fairly common because of this.

Now, of course, there are probably MYRIAD examples of exceptions to these rules... but this is what I generally assume from a player

1- Goalie

2 through 6: defenseman.... however I always expect a guy with 3's and 5's on their back to be more rugged, stay at home types player, I don't know why. 2's, 4's and 6's I generally believe to be more puck moving types... Something about odds and evens. Probably because I grew up once Lidster was a stay-at-home wearing 3, Murzyn wore 5, Allen wore 5. You will find my number association to be very 90's centric and very Canucks centric.

7- I think because of Ronning and Morrison I expect this to be a smallish, skilled center.

8- through 10: forwards of some sort... yes I know some defensemen wore numbers in there. 10 has no significance to me unless it is in the black and yellow... then it is only one person in my head.

11- Odd number for me. There is Messier and... nobody else. I know Alfredsson and Gartner wore it but... it is Messier's number

13- I expect a european, probably a russian to be wearing 13. I also expect them to be a center. I don't know why. I have no explantions for any of this.

14 through 18- forwards, talent level may very- but forwards

16- has no significance to me unless it is in the black and yellow... then it is only one person in my head and I was a MAAASSSIIIIVVVEE Trevor Linden fan as a kid

19- premium number in my head, and not because of Naslund. I think it was because of 90's Yzerman and 90's Sakic. Yashin when he was still good. Doan, Daigle (hyped) and Naslund. 19 is a number for stars for me.

20 through 39- Rank and file forwards. except for:

33- I expect a Peca or some equally razor-like guy to play here... yes, I do know about Sedin.

40-49- What's wrong with you? Couldn't get a real number?

50-77: Defensemen... usually double numbers lke 55 and 77. Yes, I remember Lemiuex. He's a rare case

80's: You are trying to hard

90's (especially 91): Scoring forwards, probably european, possibly russian

99: Always seemed like an oddly fat number on him...

A lot of this is horsepucky number associations. Big fat numbers (like 55) I expect to be attached to big, bruising players. Little skinny numbers (like 7) or skinny numbers tacked on to other numbers (like 91, 61) I expect small, scoring forwards.

Fans of different teams probably have different associations in their heads.

Ah, yah, that's well documented. Guess you're having a hard time connecting the dots on the four numbers.

Number when it comes to hockey are a rather intriguing thing. it starts from way down in the lower levels when kids are basically handed a number: 1 and 30 (or 31) is always a goalie, 2 through 6 (a fuzzy cutoff) go to defensemen and then 8 through 29 fill out the rest of the forwards ranks.

For some reason, certain numbers worn by players always illicit a certain response from my brain. I see a number and ASSUME that the player plays a certain way. A lot of this is explainable- a great or legendary player wears a certain number and often young kids who grew up idolizing them and modelling their game on them will take that number as well. The propensity for a jersey number to contain a guy 'in the mold of' some style of play is fairly common because of this.

Now, of course, there are probably MYRIAD examples of exceptions to these rules... but this is what I generally assume from a player

1- Goalie

2 through 6: defenseman.... however I always expect a guy with 3's and 5's on their back to be more rugged, stay at home types player, I don't know why. 2's, 4's and 6's I generally believe to be more puck moving types... Something about odds and evens. Probably because I grew up once Lidster was a stay-at-home wearing 3, Murzyn wore 5, Allen wore 5. You will find my number association to be very 90's centric and very Canucks centric.

7- I think because of Ronning and Morrison I expect this to be a smallish, skilled center.

8- through 10: forwards of some sort... yes I know some defensemen wore numbers in there. 10 has no significance to me unless it is in the black and yellow... then it is only one person in my head.

11- Odd number for me. There is Messier and... nobody else. I know Alfredsson and Gartner wore it but... it is Messier's number

13- I expect a european, probably a russian to be wearing 13. I also expect them to be a center. I don't know why. I have no explantions for any of this.

14 through 18- forwards, talent level may very- but forwards

16- has no significance to me unless it is in the black and yellow... then it is only one person in my head and I was a MAAASSSIIIIVVVEE Trevor Linden fan as a kid

19- premium number in my head, and not because of Naslund. I think it was because of 90's Yzerman and 90's Sakic. Yashin when he was still good. Doan, Daigle (hyped) and Naslund. 19 is a number for stars for me.

20 through 39- Rank and file forwards. except for:

33- I expect a Peca or some equally razor-like guy to play here... yes, I do know about Sedin.

40-49- What's wrong with you? Couldn't get a real number?

50-77: Defensemen... usually double numbers lke 55 and 77. Yes, I remember Lemiuex. He's a rare case

80's: You are trying to hard

90's (especially 91): Scoring forwards, probably european, possibly russian

99: Always seemed like an oddly fat number on him...

A lot of this is horsepucky number associations. Big fat numbers (like 55) I expect to be attached to big, bruising players. Little skinny numbers (like 7) or skinny numbers tacked on to other numbers (like 91, 61) I expect small, scoring forwards.

Fans of different teams probably have different associations in their heads.

Those are very interesting perspectives on uni numbers, Scruffy. I agree that certain numbers are better suited for certain players or types of players.

For unknown reasons, I always like the following number schemes:

Goalies: #1, #29, #30, #33, #31, #35

Defence: #2 to #7; #22, #24, #25, #26

Forwards: #8 to #21; #23, #27, #28

Double digit numbers: #44 (Dave Babych), #55 (Ed Jovanovski), #77 (Paul Coffey/Ray Bourque) - defence; #66, #99 retired for all time (Lemieux and Gretzky); #88 (Kane/Lindros) - forward.

Numbers ending with 1: #41, #51, #61, #71, #81, #91 - forwards (all started with Butch Goring for me).

The rest would be a free for all.

There's also been a couple of players wearing # 0 (Neil Sheehy - Hartford) and #00 (John Davidson - NYR), and these numbers are sort of interesting.

When I pick out my golf balls, I usually try to get 4 sleeves of "8", so there's a bunch of people out there without sleeves of 8's in the box of Titlelist ProV-1s out there.

His point wasn't that it was retired for Messier. He was simply pointing out how pathetic a human being Messier was by demanding that number.

I will add to that and taking over the Captaincy from Trevor Linden that should never have happened he should have came here to help the team not thinking he was better than the Captain we already had..

I was choked and I felt bad for Linden that was a complete joke and disrepect of Canuck Fans. Mike Keenan and Mark Messier the Canuck Killers why he came here was a joke.. yeah show them the money they will come.. Torterella, Keenan, Love Sundin but 13 million really and finally Messier completely messed up the canucks...Alittle harder here on the west coast heh messier..

Archived