The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Update: Human Error Blamed for Skytrain/Millenium Line System Shut Down - Union Protest Suspension

DonLever

I was trying to give other transit riders a heads up so they could possibly take a different route to work!

I am sorry you were stuck in traffic. Rush hour can be a real bitch sometimes!

...and it's f'd again!

Seriously WTF is wrong with people?! One day of rain and the entire f'ing city is shut down from accidents/congestion!

It's Vancouver for crying out loud! We live in a G.D. temperate rain forest! You should be able to drive in a bit of f'ing rain people! :angry:

You sending me a gas card in the mail Tanikins? :P

Blame Social Credit for putting in this system in the first place. We could have had a conventional light rail system. But oh no....we had to take a system that is finicky. A lower tech solution would have been better.

Even a system with a conventional driver would be preferable.

Enlighten me - what happens when the at-grade LRT system along Kingsway shuts down because of a vehicle collision? You're stuck with the same problem of a people-mover system failing, but this time, you're also inconveniencing other at-grade vehicles trying to use surface roads.

I won't begin to mention how separated-grade systems trump LRT in capacity, and if any LRT system we hypothetically build can support a 400k+ daily ridership.

Enlighten me - what happens when the at-grade LRT system along Kingsway shuts down because of a vehicle collision? You're stuck with the same problem of a people-mover system failing, but this time, you're also inconveniencing other at-grade vehicles trying to use surface roads.

I won't begin to mention how separated-grade systems trump LRT in capacity, and if any LRT system we hypothetically build can support a 400k+ daily ridership.

Whatever you do don't mention that the 99 Bline would rank in top ten in terms of ridership if stacked against North American light rail lines - and it doesn't even have dedicated lanes or light priority (you can put transponders on the bus that link into GPS systems that priorises the lights as part of an intelligent network system).

Or that in the event of trouble you can reroute a bus a lot easier than a train on tracks.

Or that it costs like a fifth as much as light rail.

Or that it's widely embraced by the public and would be the fastest, easiest way to connect the regional town centres, and you know, follow the regional growth plan.

...and it's f'd again!

Seriously WTF is wrong with people?! One day of rain and the entire f'ing city is shut down from accidents/congestion!

It's Vancouver for crying out loud! We live in a G.D. temperate rain forest! You should be able to drive in a bit of f'ing rain people! :angry:

You sending me a gas card in the mail Tanikins? :P

I hate vancouver when it rains people get super annoying and stupid and forget how to drive or their manners for that matter.. I can't imagine how annoying it would be to drive in the rain.

And nope sorry... I wouldn't even know where to buy a gas card.

Holy shiate I had to drive today and I'm stuck in tunnel hell, people do this everyday? Crazy.

It's normally not that bad. Just... you know when this strange, mysterious wet substance falls from the sky. Starting to grasp that blocked hose metaphor now? :lol:

And nope sorry... I wouldn't even know where to buy a gas card.

Gas station.... :blink:

BC Ferries is not privatized. It's publicly owned and privately managed. The private management inherited a business with a corrupt union and almost a 20 million dollar per year deficit. They've had to cut services but the company is in the black now by about 20 mil per year. Pretty impressive considering white spot workers are making 50+k a year plus pension.

Bc Ferries IS a private company with the bc government owning 1 controlling share.

Please provide a link backing up your "corrupt" union comment.

The company was directed by the provincial government to trim $20 million dollars and is doing so by reducing service levels.

I'd like to see a link about how they are now $20 mill in the black please.

As a deckhand on the ferries my wage is about four dollars an hour more than most in catering, and this year I received a GST rebate as MY income is less than $50,000 a year.

Edited out my overly cranky last 2 sentences.

http://www.news1130.com/2014/07/24/morning-canada-line-problems-in-richmond/

RICHMOND (NEWS1130) – A power problem in Richmond temporarily shut down the Canada Line south of the Marine Drive station this morning.

Photos on Twitter showed crowds waiting at stations in Richmond.

The system is now back to normal service.

This follows two system-wide SkyTrain failures in the past week.

BtUT9iQCcAA6XMF.jpg

BtUQQr6CYAAPsxN.jpg

BsRkLK4CYAAxqLH.jpg

Damn you Translink why you not have trains run on entitlement? Never run out of power!

train breaking down three times a week during rush hour is entitlement?

Seriously, I guess you never complain about anything huh?

Got a bug on your dish in a restaurant? Who care, it could happen when you make your own food too.

Your contractor broke your house when they fix something? who cares? it coudl happen if you do it youself too.

Seriously dude, according to you everything is perfect and any complain about anything would be self entitlement and should stop. I mean, how dare we complain about stucking on the skytrain for hours with little to no assistance or explaination during rush hour! The system is perfect, there is no need to voice any opinions!

No the entitlement is expecting underfunded, complex systems moving tens of thousands of people to never have ANY issues and making unrealistic entitled demands when something does in fact go wrong.

You guys want better, more reliable transit? Start paying higher fares.

So people can't bitch after there's been problems 3 times in a week? I don't even remember this being a big issue after the first incident. It was only after the second incident most people started bitching.

We can't all get home like this:

unicorn_pooping_a_rainbow_20px.jpg

No the entitlement is expecting underfunded, complex systems moving tens of thousands of people to never have ANY issues and making unrealistic entitled demands when something does in fact go wrong.

Yeah cause the fares don't go up every single year, public transit is barely affordable as it. Sorry but not all of us are rich enough to be able to afford a car let alone drive one. The cost of living in this city is disgustingly high.

We are paying for a service that we are not receiving. So I really fail to see how us expecting the skytrain system not to break down 4 times in a week is being unreasonable. I am Sorry but there is nothing entitled about that, nothing at all.

Maybe translink should stop giving lazy ass big wigs fat bonus to sit around doing nothing, and actually fix there system!

1. Who ever said anything about not willing to pay higher fares in this thread when we talk about this issue? You know what is happening in reality? we ARE paying higher fares each year and still dont see ANY improvements.

I would be GLAD to pay higher fares for public transit if they can actually improve the whole system and service.

2. I never said anything about the system doesn't allow to have problems. I am mainly complaining about what they DO after problems happens.

What is unrealistic demand?

the bus I took after work yesterday was half an hour late. There are tons of people waiting at the terminal station for that bus and a supervisor was sitting inside his car in the parking lot. Not once did he come out of his car and notice the passengers that the bus will be delay. All he did was to sit in his car for half an hour while watching whole bunch of people standing there.

Do i expect the bus to never be late? NO. But i DO expect the supervisor to actually do something than sitting when problems appeared. This happened constantly in the translink systems.

How often do you actually see supervisors showing up in a skytrain station explaining what happen when there is a problem? Hell you look at the pictures of the canada line problem today, and tell me how many staffs you see in those photos trying to keep orders?

This is not entitlement, this is a legit criticism for our transit system. You on the other hand is just trying to pretend everything is fine and ANY complains will automatically mean it's just unreasonable self entitlment. I mean how dare people who pay for the service to actually complain when the service isn't being f ullfill?

How much should they pay? $3.50 for a 2 hour fare isn't enough? $120/month bus pass isn't enough? Translink collecting money from property taxes, gas taxes etc. isn't enough? How much should people pay for a fare? $5, $10, $15?

At the end of the day, you say nothing is perfect so I doubt paying higher fares somehow will translate into a more reliable transit system. All it will do is just increase the salary of those transit workers and more money being dumped or wastefully used for stupid projects like the electronic passes and gates that has failed miserably. More money does not always mean better service or more reliable service, it all depends on the management and how they run things.

The number of people that use transit in lower mainland should compensate for cheaper fares compared to other cities that don't have many transit users. Especially in Vancouver where the city is discouraging car owners and is more of a pro transit city.

Archived