The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Update: Human Error Blamed for Skytrain/Millenium Line System Shut Down - Union Protest Suspension

DonLever

How much should they pay? $3.50 for a 2 hour fare isn't enough? $120/month bus pass isn't enough? Translink collecting money from property taxes, gas taxes etc. isn't enough? How much should people pay for a fare? $5, $10, $15?

At the end of the day, you say nothing is perfect so I doubt paying higher fares somehow will translate into a more reliable transit system. All it will do is just increase the salary of those transit workers and more money being dumped or wastefully used for stupid projects like the electronic passes and gates that has failed miserably. More money does not always mean better service or more reliable service, it all depends on the management and how they run things.

The number of people that use transit in lower mainland should compensate for cheaper fares compared to other cities that don't have many transit users. Especially in Vancouver where the city is discouraging car owners and is more of a pro transit city.

Fyi the fare gates were provincial. Not translink. Kevin falcon forced the gates on translink because he's an idiot.

Also, read the link I provided a few posts ago.

Fyi the fare gates were provincial. Not translink. Kevin falcon forced the gates on translink because he's an idiot.

Also, read the link I provided a few posts ago.

You mean mr insensitivity, who was *issed because the Iron Workers Bridge was shut down, because of a person in distress? Yeah, him. Those fare gates should have been mandatory when Sky train was first built in the 80's. Why they need $100k security guards on that system is another question.

Hi. What do you thin the graph suggests, J.R.? All I see is a whole lot more money being poured in without much change.

I never said there shouldn't be change. I'm one of the biggest proponents on this board for people to do far more pitchfork and torch grabbing with any number of politically funded monetary black holes. Starting with health care and education with transit not far behind.

The way they're run and our tax dollars spent is laughable and only going to get worse given economic and demographic realities unless people actually demand change. Even with real, actual change and efficiency gains we'll struggle to simply maintain the status quo let alone improve any of those systems.

I was more giggling at all the entitled cost whining that's been going on. As you can see from that graph, transit users pay just over 1/3 of the cost of the service they're using. I probably pay more every year for transit I can hardly even use than most of the people whining about the costs and their inconvenience.

I never said there shouldn't be change. I'm one of the biggest proponents on this board for people to do far more pitchfork and torch grabbing with any number of politically funded monetary black holes. Starting with health care and education with transit not far behind.

The way they're run and our tax dollars spent is laughable and only going to get worse given economic and demographic realities unless people actually demand change. Even with real, actual change and efficiency gains we'll struggle to simply maintain the status quo let alone improve any of those systems.

I was more giggling at all the entitled cost whining that's been going on. As you can see from that graph, transit users pay just over 1/3 of the cost of the service they're using. I probably pay more every year for transit I can hardly even use than most of the people whining about the costs and their inconvenience.

Oh I am sorry JR I wasn't aware you were the only person in existence that paid taxes!

http://pricetags.wordpress.com/2014/07/29/this-just-in-another-system-failure/

A crash has closed the Lions gate Bridge and Causeway in both directions.

11:30 am:

lg.jpg?w=900&h=593

Thousands impacted, unknown delays, few options. Perhaps even a loss of life.

Will those impacted now be voicing their frustration and anger on social media? Will there be a call for a review, given the repeated incidents on this critical piece of our transportation system? A demand that salaries and bonuses of senior executives be cut until there are no more instances of such failures? A condemnation of the incompetence of the Ministry of Transportation?

No, of course not. This was an accident, likely caused by an individual. What can you do? Maybe spend more, as we did before, to widen lanes. Or perhaps build a new bridge or tunnel as an option.

But in the end, it won’t matter. This kind of system failure – minimized where possible, but inevitable – is the price we pay for the freedom of the road.

As someone who has to commute over the LGB every day, I'm glad that happened after the morning rush. I've got caught in the backup after a crash and it is a pain in the... you have no where to go but wait.

To err is human. Lest not crucify this man for he is a mere mortal.

Whats this thread about anyways?

Just folks tired for the relatively poor service to price ratio translink provides. Their inability to handle any crisis, whether major or minor.

The lack of transparency of translinks and their funding model makes them very inefficient.

I keep harking back to Japan, but they have perhaps one of the best transit system in the world. Many companies competing for riders, thus many of their lines overlap, thus any problem with one line, you can most likely use a different company or just take another alternate route. Most (if not all) of them are private entities where you can buy the share of them if you wanted, so their goals are to maximum revenue by having the best service available.... a model translink should be trying to emulate.

Archived