The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Update: Human Error Blamed for Skytrain/Millenium Line System Shut Down - Union Protest Suspension

DonLever

Picked a crappy day to play tourist on skytrain.

With the way bike lanes are being built, hyped, & promoted...where were all of the rick-shaw companies? Those guys could have made a mint of money today.

Meanwhile, crap happens. But - if this is proven to be due to some systemic negligence, sack the guys at the top...and try again

Whilst I'm not caught up in it I feel for those that are. Hopefully they will fix this problem and for good this time, twice in five days is really shoddy. It'd be nice if Translink show some goodwill once services are resumed (maybe a day or two of free transit) but they probably won't.

Millennium Line has half resumed - VCC to Sapperton (where there is a shiny newish Translink building).

The riot statement was a joke. My goodness people are sensitive.

And Translink is not a well run company, nor is it a harmonious one.

I'm not really trying to win an argument as much as I was annoyed by your attitude. Especially calling another posters viewpoint kinda dumb. That's not nice, now is it?

The riot statement was a joke. My goodness people are sensitive.

And Translink is not a well run company, nor is it a harmonious one.

I'm not really trying to win an argument as much as I was annoyed by your attitude. Especially calling another posters viewpoint kinda dumb. That's not nice, now is it?

Oh just a joke. Ha ha?

Picked a crappy day to play tourist on skytrain.

With the way bike lanes are being built, hyped, & promoted...where were all of the rick-shaw companies? Those guys could have made a mint of money today.

Meanwhile, crap happens. But - if this is proven to be due to some systemic negligence, sack the guys at the top...and try again

We could hire homeless guys to drive the rickshaws? They're always walkin' around the city, why not just strap something to them?

Getting MTR onboard would have been the BEST thing to happen to the public transportation system here in Vancouver for present and future

MTR systems just blows all other systems out of the water...

right now we have transit that is like 20 years behind in structure planning, system running compared to the systems in world class cities, the way expo, millenium, and canada lines are connected could have been better I think, having to go all the way to waterfront to then connect to canada line in order to go to richmond is not very convenient and efficient. I feel the placement planning and construction of the railways was very short-sighted and did not include the possibility of expanding and connecting the lines.

this compass card thing.....MTR have been using octopus card since 1997...and translink hasn't even figured out how to get the compass system to work....

Which genius thought it was a good idea not to have gates at the stations and then waste more money hiring Transit police to randomly check whether passengers bought tickets or not....maybe if you had the gates in the first place....you wouldn't be losing revenue when ppl just slip right onto the trains not paying a dime.

Vancouver would probably benefit from a Translink overhaul.

I also wonder what tourists think of Vancouver's transportation system? As a tourist, skytain, subways, transit railway systems are the most convenient ways of getting around a city, it is easier than trying to find different bus routes and having to time the bus schedules. Until translink improves their system, I think of Vancouver as a "world-class tourist city wannabe" compared to the likes of London, Tokyo, Hong Kong, New York etc.

Anyhoo, rant over

Just got fired from my job for being late twice in a week :( I was 2 weeks from passing my probation too...

Ughhh screw you Translink. I just moved here from the Island and these 2 instances are the only times I've been late/gotten in trouble. Boss is a real hardass and makes no exceptions for anything. After the first incident last week all he would say to me was "leave earlier" and I typically leave really early to ensure I get to work with at least 30-40 minutes to spare just in case. So after that I started leaving super early giving myself a 60-70 minute cushion. With the incident today figured no worries they said a bus was on its way....nope waited 50 minutes for the bus before my cab showed up and after a $60 cab ride I got told to pack up my stuff and leave lol. Just wanted to vent cause this is BS. Not too worried about the job right now since I've got plenty saved up and it's saving my from having to work for a jackass.

Oh ya. Fuck you Translink

Always wondered if passengers are told it's safe to evacuate the train and walk on the tracks to the nearest station OR if passengers get fed up and just do it?

Passengers were given assistance today, whereas on Thursday some guys just whipped the doors open and hoofed it.

If I was stuck in a car for three hours I'd try to escape too (assuming a walkway was present).

Just got fired from my job for being late twice in a week :( I was 2 weeks from passing my probation too...

Ughhh screw you Translink. I just moved here from the Island and these 2 instances are the only times I've been late/gotten in trouble. Boss is a real hardass and makes no exceptions for anything. After the first incident last week all he would say to me was "leave earlier" and I typically leave really early to ensure I get to work with at least 30-40 minutes to spare just in case. So after that I started leaving super early giving myself a 60-70 minute cushion. With the incident today figured no worries they said a bus was on its way....nope waited 50 minutes for the bus before my cab showed up and after a $60 cab ride I got told to pack up my stuff and leave lol. Just wanted to vent cause this is BS. Not too worried about the job right now since I've got plenty saved up and it's saving my from having to work for a jackass.

Oh ya. frack you Translink

Doesn't sound like that was a boss I'd want to work for anyway. Hopefully you'll get a new job soon.

Passengers were given assistance today, whereas on Thursday some guys just whipped the doors open and hoofed it.

If I was stuck in a car for three hours I'd try to escape too (assuming a walkway was present).

I probably would be happy waiting up to an hour, but anything beyond that I'd want out too. ESPECIALLY if I was stuck in one of the non-A/C old trains.

I guess Skytrain was pretty bad today because the buses were completely packed too. Had to wait a while for my 49 bus, as a bunch were packed and couldn't take any more passengers; took forever to get home.

But man, what's wrong with Translink, there's always something wrong every week. I wonder if other transit systems suffer these kind of problems...because I know that systems back in Korea and Japan don't act up like this, and they have 10 times the workload.

Archived