The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion/Poll] Lack or Markstrom?

Horvat

Who would you trade?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know your first thought, there are already a

few lack/markstrom threads, just l hear me out.

My view:

-Lack is 26 and when Millers contract is up in 3 years will be 29 which is relatively old for a "new" goalie and Markstrom at 24 will be 27 in 3 years.

-I really cant see Lack being a Back-up untill he's 29. with my amateur opinion, i would be happy to see Lack go to a team "Lacking" a goalie of Lacks quality, where he can be used to his current potential as a starter.

-With Markstrom, i think he could be used proficiently as a back-up under Miller. It would be a good idea to keep in mind that we havent seen everything from him and Rollie can still improve Markstrom's play.

With that out of the way, which teams would be in the market for Lack and Markstrom?

Lack: Edmonton, Buffalo, Winnipeg, Carolina, San Jose,

Markstom: Winnipeg, Washington, Philadelphia, San Jose,

Lack last year was pretty good, but he's never played a full season so you can't call him a starter. Watching him last year I thought it was just that pretty good, but there were nights he didn't look elite level at all. Hence Van not giving him the starting job.

Markstrom doesn't look ready for fulltime work yet.

Lack is a solid backup. I think he played fairly well last year under the circumstances, but no way did he prove that he should be a number one goalie in the league yet. Backing up Miller for another year or two is not a bad idea. Maybe even three.

I don't think we should put too much stock into age when you consider goaltenders. The development rate for goalies probably varies more than any position in any sport. And he is on a later curve especially considering last year was just his first year getting any NHL work at all. He might just be hitting his peak at 29 :)

What has Marks done to prove to anyone that he is ready to play in the NHL? Lack certainly has and has shown that he isn't far away from becoming a #1 guy. Lack will get his chance. Who says that Miller will be in Vancouver for all 3 years of his contract?

Have Canuck fans not learned anything from watching the teams' best goalies traded and ending up with a 'not ready for prime time' rookie?

What has Marks done to prove to anyone that he is ready to play in the NHL?

absolutely 0

literally nothing. he's just big that's all that's appealing.

he's got terrible mechanics and it's painfully obvious. he's waiver fodder, unless management believes he can improve this summer.

Lack isn't quite ready to be a starter. If we keep him for at least one more season and give him 30-35 starts (depending on where we are in the standings and his performance), we could see his value rise. 1-2 seasons of him having the same stats as he had when backing up Luo and next thing you know we have another potential Cory Schneider to either use or trade. Meanwhile in that 1-2 years Mark is developing in the A and can come in as Lacks backup or Millers backup when either of the two are traded and we can start the process all over again.

What has Marks done to prove to anyone that he is ready to play in the NHL? Lack certainly has and has shown that he isn't far away from becoming a #1 guy. Lack will get his chance. Who says that Miller will be in Vancouver for all 3 years of his contract?

Have Canuck fans not learned anything from watching the teams' best goalies traded and ending up with a 'not ready for prime time' rookie?

That was the old regime...the new leadership group appears to have a plan. Haven't you been paying attention to the succession plan for goalies that Benning has already discussed?

That was the old regime...the new leadership group appears to have a plan. Haven't you been paying attention to the succession plan for goalies that Benning has already discussed?

What has that have to do with trading away a bonifide NHL ready goalie and keeping a player that hasn't proven he will ever reach that level? Imo, that would be an idiotic move. Miller has an injury...and...then Marks takes over. Oh dear.

Demko has 3 more years of college; he may or may not complete. Who knows if he will be NHL ready as a backup; let alone a starter when Miller walks.

Archived