The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

confessions

Rate this topic

Just now, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Thank you very much. Greatly appreciated.

No problem.  It was great to read such an honest post that I think most of us can or will relate to at some point.  And imo you set a high standard with the post.

for me it hits close to home.  As shaky said its a rough world out there.  When you're trying to find your way while carrying a family all you have is your integrity and will.

as a fellow taxpayer it was also good to know that you didn't take the easy way out by collecting EI and doing some cash work to abuse the system.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, riffraff said:

No problem.  It was great to read such an honest post that I think most of us can or will relate to at some point.  And imo you set a high standard with the post.

for me it hits close to home.  As shaky said its a rough world out there.  When you're trying to find your way while carrying a family all you have is your integrity and will.

as a fellow taxpayer it was also good to know that you didn't take the easy way out by collecting EI and doing some cash work to abuse the system.

I was on EI for a couple of weeks until I found the job I am at now. Not only did it only pay $464 a week, but it felt wrong to be sitting at home looking for work while my fellow taxpayers paid me to do so. However, by using that same logic, is it not also wrong for me to do what I am doing to this company? Essentially I am abusing this private company for money instead of the public (ei. taxpayers). Either way I am negatively effecting others in order to try to limit the amount that I am losing by not being at my original higher paying job. But I know what you and Shaky are saying. I just don't feel right about it. Like I said, I hope I find a job at the level I am accustomed to soon so that I can support my family without feeling like I am taking advantage of people in order to help myself (and my family). But like you and Shaky said, it's a tough world out there. Thank you for helping me feel a bit better about it though.

19 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

I was on EI for a couple of weeks until I found the job I am at now. Not only did it only pay $464 a week, but it felt wrong to be sitting at home looking for work while my fellow taxpayers paid me to do so. However, by using that same logic, is it not also wrong for me to do what I am doing to this company? Essentially I am abusing this private company for money instead of the public (ei. taxpayers). Either way I am negatively effecting others in order to try to limit the amount that I am losing by not being at my original higher paying job. But I know what you and Shaky are saying. I just don't feel right about it. Like I said, I hope I find a job at the level I am accustomed to soon so that I can support my family without feeling like I am taking advantage of people in order to help myself (and my family). But like you and Shaky said, it's a tough world out there. Thank you for helping me feel a bit better about it though.

Part of this problem would be resolved if companies (and people in general) would stop trying to constantly win the race to the bottom.

My wife was recently looking for work (found some) and she was seeing ads for CGA's for jobs offering ~$15/hour. I mean what legit CGA is going to work for that?! How long do you think you'll be able to retain them?! What quality of work/effort do you think they're going to do/give you for the two months they're there until they find something better?! Have you even considered the costs of hiring/training someone new every ~3 months?!

It's ridiculous!

• Upvote 3
5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Part of this problem would be resolved if companies (and people in general) would stop trying to constantly win the race to the bottom.

My wife was recently looking for work (found some) and she was seeing ads for CGA's for jobs offering ~$15/hour. I mean what legit CGA is going to work for that?! How long do you think you'll be able to retain them?! What quality of work/effort do you think they're going to do/give you for the two months they're there until they find something better?! Have you even considered the costs of hiring/training someone new every ~3 months?!

It's ridiculous!

Great post! You couldn't be more right!

If you want quality employees and you want them to stick around, you have to pay them a wage they can live on!

30 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

All any of us want is to put in an honest day's work for a fair wage.  It sounds to me like you put in an honest day's work.  If the government needs to top up your pay so that it's fair, that sounds exactly why we have such programs in place.  

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

I don't need to say it but maybe a reminder: your hand was forced.  It wasn't your choice.  There was an opening where you are currently working and you filled the need for that company.  Who's to say in a perfect world your input bettered that company and it turn it bettered its employees.

many people in your spot would let pride get in the way and they would not work for simply believing they are above that job.

but you are 100% right in your feelings/convictions.  At least you can be assured this temporary situation is reaffirming your qualities.  And those around you who know you are seeing that display.

Edited by riffraff
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I don't need to say it but maybe a reminder: your hand was forced.  It wasn't your choice.  There was an opening where you are currently working and you filled the need for that company.  Who's to say in a perfect world your input bettered that company and it turn it bettered its employees.

many people in your spot would let pride get in the way and they would not work for simply believing they are above that job.

but you are 100% right in your feelings/convictions.  At least you can be assured this temporary situation is reaffirming your qualities.  And those around you who know you are seeing that display.

Thank you. Your words are wise and make me feel better about my situation. I'm probably being too hard on myself. I'm still a young man (31) and I am still learning valuable lessons about responsibility and humility. I can only hope that I come out of this situation better than I went into it and take those lessons forward in life.

At the end of the day I am doing what I have to do for my family, and that's all that matters. Sometimes you just have to nut up and do what needs to be done, even if you aren't proud of it. Sometimes when you do what you gotta do for your family, personal pride has nothing to do with it. Providing for my family is all that matters.

• Upvote 2
10 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Thank you. Your words are wise and make me feel better about my situation. I'm probably being too hard on myself. I'm still a young man (31) and I am still learning valuable lessons about responsibility and humility. I can only hope that I come out of this situation better than I went into it and take those lessons forward in life.

At the end of the day I am doing what I have to do for my family, and that's all that matters. Sometimes you just have to nut up and do what needs to be done, even if you aren't proud of it. Sometimes when you do what you gotta do for your family, personal pride has nothing to do with it. Providing for my family is all that matters.

Exactamundo

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

"Confessions" is turning into the CDC rally for @Roger Neilson's Towel. I like it. 

@ThrustyPrusty89 @riffraff @ShakyWalton @J.R. @Alflives

I know! You guys are amazing! I'm not usually one for self indulgence (or having a "pity party") because I know full well that there are so many people out there in far worse situations than myself, but you guys are all helping me feel much better about my current situation and I appreciate all of you for it! Amazing to me how strangers come together when someone they don't know is feeling down to help prop them back up. Humanity at it's finest. Thank you!

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Isn't that true of almost any job, though? I mean, I like where I work but I am still here primarily for myself (because I want/need money). If people wanted to work for free because they care well that's what volunteering is for. 

As long as you do your job to earn your check then I don't think you're taking advantage. This is a business relationship: if you show up and do what they ask then you're more than justified in accepting their money. And as far as taking time off for interviews, unless you've just gotten up and left without saying anything then I take it these absences were approved- you shouldn't feel bad about that. If they approved you to take personal time then what you do with that time is your business. 

You sound like a nice guy, and one with integrity at that. It sounds like you're doing the best you can in a tough situation. At least you are doing some work (even if it's not up to your abilities) instead of idly collecting benefits. Give yourself a break. 

Not at all, I love the company I work for. While I want to make a good living and progress I genuinely want the company to do well.

Your way of looking at this situation is quite cynical.

3 minutes ago, Bizarre said:

Not at all, I love the company I work for. While I want to make a good living and progress I genuinely want the company to do well.

If you didn't have to work (like you were rich, etc.), would you have still applied to work there in the first place just because you want the company to do well? I feel like it's disingenuous to imply making money isn't the (primary, not only) motivation anyone has for pursuing any job. I'm saying I don't blame RN'sT for staying at his current job just because it's a means to an end for him; that's true for a lot of people. 

Just now, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

If you didn't have to work (like you were rich, etc.), would you have still applied to work there in the first place just because you want the company to do well? I feel like it's disingenuous to imply making money isn't the (primary, not only) motivation anyone has for pursuing any job. I'm saying I don't blame RN'sT for staying at his current job just because it's a means to an end for him; that's true for a lot of people. 

Yes, I would have still applied for various reasons. One of them being I truly believe what my company is doing. I don't have to "work" for a living it's a choice I make. I could quit my job tomorrow and have no worries.

I see what you mean and I agree to some extent. If it's your family well being or a corporation almost everyone is going to chose their family. I just think stating that the primary reason most people work specific jobs is for money is off base.

2 minutes ago, Bizarre said:

Yes, I would have still applied for various reasons. One of them being I truly believe what my company is doing. I don't have to "work" for a living it's a choice I make. I could quit my job tomorrow and have no worries.

I see what you mean and I agree to some extent. If it's your family well being or a corporation almost everyone is going to chose their family. I just think stating that the primary reason most people work specific jobs is for money is off base.

That's...interesting. 

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, Bizarre said:

Maybe the particular job they're working isn't primarily motivated by money but I think, for most people, working itself is. If I were to win the lottery and have enough to never work again I'd still work part time (for a few reasons, mostly for something to do) but there's no way I'd be working 40+ hours per week. I'd be out pursuing other interests. 

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

That's...interesting. 

Many people want to keep busy, and make a difference. Difference of opinion I suppose! 

2 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Maybe the particular job they're working isn't primarily motivated by money but I think, for most people, working itself is. If I were to win the lottery and have enough to never work again I'd still work part time (for a few reasons, mostly for something to do) but there's no way I'd be working 40+ hours per week. I'd be out pursuing other interests. 

Most extremely successful people would disagree with this. Look at most multi millionaires and billionaires that work as much once they achieve that level as before. I do agree with you the average person who walks into a large sum of money will not work as much (or at all) at least at the start.

4 minutes ago, Bizarre said:

i can see that. i'm making less now than what i was making working kitchens, but i'm actually pretty happy doing what i'm doing. i'm reaching 30 years old and it took a few years that i can't do kitchens anymore. it was making me miserable, bitter, paranoid, cynical and an alcoholic. that was a job where i just showed up to get a pay cheque and tip money was beer money. at some point you just find something that makes you happy and that you want to do it and not because you "have to" because "that's life". i'm really starting to make a difference where i am and i'm taking what i learned in the kitchens to here and i'm seeing the beginnings of the fruits of my labour

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Bizarre said:

Many people want to keep busy, and make a difference. Difference of opinion I suppose! 

Most extremely successful people would disagree with this. Look at most multi millionaires and billionaires that work as much once they achieve that level as before. I do agree with you the average person who walks into a large sum of money will not work as much (or at all) at least at the start.

Most of those types that I've come across also tend to be self-centred a-holes. I don't care to see 8 figures in my bank account (before the decimal, of course), I just want to have enough to live a comfortable lifestyle and do the things I want. I'm okay with that. Should I come upon a big sum of money I'll obvious take it and run, but I'm not going to run myself into the ground and let life pass me by just so I can drive a Lamborghini.