The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sens Re-Sign Anderson

Darth Kane

This doesn't make sense to me. If he didn't want to take a 2 year deal I think I would have let him walk. Lehner is 23, 4 years from now he will be 27. So either he takes over as starter and you are spending 4.2M on a backup or you make him wait 4 years to take on the role as a full time starter. I understand the idea of a tandem seems appealing, I just thought that the Sens would have more confidence in a young talented starter.

I was just pointing it out..

There is no need to, a mod should fix the title as soon as they get around to it.

Outside of the whole Lehner situation, that is actually a pretty decent price and term for Anderson. He's only 33, so he'll still be a decent starter, whether they keep him as a tandem, or move him for another asset.

Schneider/Lou wouldn't have been such a bad situation had Gillis put aside his ego and taken a smaller return for Lu than he was seeking. Instead he played an extended game of chicken with the few GM's interested, and lost.

Like others have suggested, it's really not a bad deal. Gives them contract certainty for another four years (extension starts in 2015) with a veteran #1 who's put-up decent numbers (0.915 career Sv% in regular season and 0.926 career for playoffs).

I've never liked Anderson's year-to-year consistency as he tends to run hot and cold IMO. But he's only a year removed from posting excellent numbers and he's been pretty good for Ottawa during most of his time there.

It also looks like there's no NTC attached to this deal (not even a modified version) so he can be traded anywhere and at any time. Unless he drops off significantly, there will probably be a team that will be willing to offer assets for his services (although the return on goalies is pretty low).

Ultimately, it gives them stability and allows them to move him pretty much whenever they want.

Good money for Andy. As for a possible goaltending 'controversy', it won't happen. Andy's contract is very reasonable for a goalie with over 250 GP and unlike Luongo, he can be traded should the need arise.

Not that I would trade him. Anderson can be clutch in big games, provided he stays healthy. The Sens are better with him than without him.

Good insurance for the Sens. Sort of like us going out and signing Miller but much less risky as they already know how Anderson fits in their system and it is a lot cheaper of a contract than Miller's. Lehner will be the starter in a year or two but he isn't ready for the full-time role yet.

It's not an awful deal by any means, but its not a deal I definitely cannot understand. Lehner is clearly the future there, and this will really either hurt their cap situation the next few years, or stunt the growth of Lehner...

Do you really think the Sens will have cap problems?

Archived