The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boycott Russian players who support Putin's policies

RomanP

Actually you know what, I do agree with the principle of boycotting evil regimes and the people who support them, but boycotting Russian hockey players for this is silly.

If you want to boycott somebody for a good cause, boycott Indigo/Chapters, who's CEO directly funds foreign recruitment of the Israeli Army.

Please explain to me how this is silly. You actually contradict yourself in the same sentence. So, you are ok with boycotting people who support evil regimes, unless they are hockey players? Where is the logic?

And as for Indigo/Chapters CEO - if I knew before that she does that, I'd buy even more books from that store :)

Really? How is that possible? Since when sport lives its own life without the world around it interfering? Are you saying if your favorite player was a homophobic pig you'd still support him because he does one particular sport really well? What, human integrity doesn't count for anything anymore?

Because they just don't care. Lord knows thier tune would change if it was PEI getting annexed but we are talking about a conflict that's on the otherside of the world. Also boycotting a hockey player is something so foreign to them its borderline comical.

This is why there needs to be a concrete social media policy to prevent these issues from ever gaining traction. It's not the league's job to pick sides in time of war. Just shut up and play hockey.

Really? How is that possible? Since when sport lives its own life without the world around it interfering? Are you saying if your favorite player was a homophobic pig you'd still support him because he does one particular sport really well? What, human integrity doesn't count for anything anymore?

It's very possible. Happens all the time. And yes, if my favorite player was a "homophobic pig", I'd still support him if he was good at his sport. "Human integrity" LMAO :lol::picard:

Please explain to me how this is silly. You actually contradict yourself in the same sentence. So, you are ok with boycotting people who support evil regimes, unless they are hockey players? Where is the logic?

And as for Indigo/Chapters CEO - if I knew before that she does that, I'd buy even more books from that store :)

Funny how you are actually the one contradicting yourself. Support one murderous regime but boycott the other...

The logic is that these hockey players aren't directly funding any military actions. They don't even pay taxes in Russia. It's like boycotting a restaurant just because the cook is jewish. Even I wouldn't do that.

It looks like at least some of the Russian NHL stars are on Putin's bandwagon in supporting his policies, annexation of Crimea and war in Ukraine. Just to look at Instagram accounts of the 2 biggest Russian stars - Ovie and Malkin. This article brings it all together: http://euromaidanpress.com/2014/09/01/nhl-stars-support-the-war-against-ukraine/

Let's start showing these idiots that they can't have it both ways - make money in North America and support the new Hitler in their country. I propose to fill the arenas where these clowns play with various signs that show them what people in the free world support. Some signs suggestions:

1. "Putin - khuilo" (a slogan made popular by soccer fans in Ukraine, it's in Russian and describes the real nature of Putin. Since it's a swear work in Russian, I can't really translate it here or the post will get locked :). Just google it and you'll know exactly what it is :) )
  2. "Free Ukraine"
  3. "Hitler, Stalin, Putin"
  4. "Crimea is Ukraine"
  5. "Ovie (Geno) Go Home!"

I really hope fans all around the league will stand up to these double-standard people.

maximum_trolling_RE_I_CHALLENGE_YOU-s720

Mods please lock this up. Obvious troll is trolling.

i was under the impression that canada and the united states were supposed to be nations that allowed people to believe whatever they choose to.

Ding ding.

The westernized protests weren't enough of a clue about how stupid it is to inject politics into sporting events?

The Olympics made the US and Canada both look like chumps, as well as people on this board, talking about their toilet stalls and gay politics. Then the Olympics occur and it goes off as well as any others do, then crickets.

Ovie could have made bank playing for the RSL/KHL, he decided to play in North America and entertain us all, just because he makes subtle political jabs doesn't mean anything to me. If he were playing for a US team overtly trying to influence US political agenda, like that douchebag Piers Morgan, then that's something else.

Let's start showing these idiots that they can't have it both ways - make money in North America and support the new Hitler in their country. I propose to fill the arenas where these clowns play with various signs that show them what people in the free world support.

This is not a boycott, it's a protest. There is a big difference.

How would you suggest people boycott them?

If I was working in another Country, I would always support Canada.

Hell, I'm in Canada now and don't support everything the government does (i.e. the oil pipeline, the teacher's strike). I love Canada and we have it better than a lot of places, but it's leaders aren't infallible and above question.

Can someone point me to The Fappening thread?

You point yourself, I ain't touching that thing.

It looks like at least some of the Russian NHL stars are on Putin's bandwagon in supporting his policies, annexation of Crimea and war in Ukraine. Just to look at Instagram accounts of the 2 biggest Russian stars - Ovie and Malkin. This article brings it all together: http://euromaidanpress.com/2014/09/01/nhl-stars-support-the-war-against-ukraine/

Let's start showing these idiots that they can't have it both ways - make money in North America and support the new Hitler in their country. I propose to fill the arenas where these clowns play with various signs that show them what people in the free world support. Some signs suggestions:

1. "Putin - khuilo" (a slogan made popular by soccer fans in Ukraine, it's in Russian and describes the real nature of Putin. Since it's a swear work in Russian, I can't really translate it here or the post will get locked :). Just google it and you'll know exactly what it is :) )
  2. "Free Ukraine"
  3. "Hitler, Stalin, Putin"
  4. "Crimea is Ukraine"
  5. "Ovie (Geno) Go Home!"

I really hope fans all around the league will stand up to these double-standard people.

Russian players often come across as real news and political junkies of their own propaganda machines. Real top drawer intellectuals.

Not since the Igor Larinov days have any Russian players had much to say about Russian and World politics that hold any relevance. They just want hockey money.

Russian players often come across as real news and political junkies of their own propaganda machines. Real top drawer intellectuals.

Not since the Igor Larinov days have any Russian players had much to say about Russian and World politics that hold any relevance. They just want hockey money.

Well, Larionov was not called the Professor for his political views.

Hence why hockey needs to stay with hockey.

There's already few things that Russians have in common with westerners, I see no reason to split hairs over this just because one or two guys have some harmless political views. Big whoop.

Archived