The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks prospect Bo Horvat primed for rookie showcase

TheRussianRocket.

They never gave up a pick to acquire Dorsett to have a 19 year old take his place.

The team could keep him around but Gaunce has paid his dues.

Give him 9 games and allow Bo to play a prominent role in the world juniors.

It's obvious that the center position is loaded on this team and a few more months in junior is not the end of the world.

They never gave up a pick to acquire Dorsett to have a 19 year old take his place.

It's obvious that the center position is loaded on this team and a few more months in junior is not the end of the world.

Gaunce can be recalled at any time.

Gaunce can be recalled at any time.

All the more reason to allow Bo to play a commanding role at the world juniors.

Makes no sense to jettison Gaunce in favour of Bo especially when there are no center ice positions to fill ,anyways.

Should injury occur,call up Gaunce or Lain.

Babysit a kid that just turned 19 years old when there are a plethora of center ice men in the system?

Stranger things have happened but hardly a priority at this point in time.

All the more reason to allow Bo to play a commanding role at the world juniors.

Makes no sense to jettison Gaunce in favour of Bo especially when there are no center ice positions to fill ,anyways.

Should injury occur,call up Gaunce or Lain.

Babysit a kid that just turned 19 years old when there are a plethora of center ice men in the system?

Stranger things have happened but hardly a priority at this point in time.

I think the key would be that he shows he doesn't need much/any babysitting.

If it's basically a tossup between Gaunce and Horvat I could easily see them keeping Bo and having Gaunce as backup on the farm in case of injuries etc.

If two of say Bonino, Mathias, Higgins or Richardson go down with injuries at the same time it sure would be nice to have Bo already up and Gaunce available. Just saying.

With Vey almost being a lock to make the team here's how I see the lines if Gaunce makes it:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Gaunce - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Vey - Burrows

Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

As said before we could have a really deep team this year.

With Vey almost being a lock to make the team here's how I see the lines if Gaunce makes it:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Gaunce - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Vey - Burrows

Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

As said before we could have a really deep team this year.

If there is a role on the second line open it will be Jensen or potentially Shinkaruk there not Guance. This team lacked scoring last year.

Jensen has shown he can score in the NHL, has pro experience and is ready to take the next step. Shinkaruk outside of size concerns (if he can play in traffic and play consistently, and like he did last camp) may surprise.

Not sure why so many are ignoring Jensen

I can easily name prospects that benefited from stepping into the nhl right away

Monahan

Nichuskin

Couturier

Skinner

Fowler

Myers

boedker

All chosen from the 7-12 range. Stopped in 2008.

My point was simply that those saying sending a player back 'hurts' them is a fallacy, not that he may be able to be an adequate player here.

The point was vs the argument that you keep Horvat vs send him back because there is no value in him playing in Junior and that because he can't go to the AHL he should stay in the NHL.

I have no doubt he can play 'adequately' at the NHL level now, he is a heck of a player and will become an excellent player for us.

But

1. Does that mean he can't develop a number of aspects of his game that still need development in the OHL? No it does not. He can improve his footspeed, his acceleration, he can learn to impose his size, will and force on players/dominate physically, (which would further build his confidence), develop many of the positional aspects of his game.

2. As I said prior, in order for him to take a roster spot he needs to be 'better' than the player he's taking a spot from, not 'keep him in Vancouver because the OHL will hurt him" as has been the argument posited by many here. And to that point, is he better than any of the 5 locks of Richardson, Higgins, Hansen, Matthias, Dorsett, at their respective roles - No way he is, so therefore if you are keeping him you are weakening the team. Is he better than Vey? Maybe as none of us have seen either of them play vs men so camp may tell us, but there again, Vey is Willie's guy, has 4 years AHL experience, and was traded for a 2nd rounder, we are clearly high on him. Is he better than Jensen who he will also have to beat and has pro experience and has shown he can not only score, but snipe? On a team lacking scoring? hmm...

3. So again, my point is not 'can horvat play' at the NHL level now, its on a relative basis is he 'better' than his competition and if he is not you send him back.

4. Many here are simply using the false argument that playing in the OHL will hurt him, my posts have been to explain why that is not the case and therefore to use that logic as the defense for weakening the team by keeping him is silly. Its about merit.

5. Further, 'keeping him because the OHL will hurt him' argument fails to consider how putting Vey or Jensen back in the AHL can stall their development. Clearly they are both more pro ready than Horvat. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves and has very little understanding of the value of experience, as both of these players (Vey 4 yrs, Jensen 2+ yrs) have played against men and played well at the pro levels.

The answer to the question, "Should either Bo Horvat or Brendan Gaunce be given a chance on the big team" is... "Let's see how they look in pre-season, first."

If one out-performs the other, that's the guy you want to get in for at least nine games... If they both look like they belong, well then, that makes things interesting doesn't it?

If Horvat plays well in camp and pre-season and is not given the 9 games then we will know that there was no chance for him to make the team. If he plays well and earns a roster spot then great, he will have a spot. The fact that he is ineligible for the AHL will certainly make it tougher for him given it limits his options. Hunter, Gaunce and Jensen will all see games this year in both the NHL and AHL, Bo would be in that group if it wasn't for his age. These "roster spots" aren't fixed, players will be called up, players will be sent down, players will be scratched and some may be traded. The bottom line is, Horvat may be on the roster, but also, he may not be. Nothing is definitive, and no one is an idiot for expressing their opinion. Now go put that in your pipe and smoke it.

pookie-o.gif

I'll say it again, there's almost assuredly a injury in the preseason to at minimum get him 9 games if he looks ready.

Even without injury there's room for him as I posted earlier:

Sedin, Sedin, Vrbada

Burrows, Bonino, Kassian

Higgins, Richardson, Vey

Horvat, Mathias, Hansen

Dorsett subs in for Hansen against 'tougher' teams.

Jensen, IMO only makes the team if he out-plays Kassian for the 2RW spot which is unlikely. He is also not subject to waivers which we can bring him back yup after Bo's 9 games if they're close and that's how it plays out.

For a more defense oriented, bottom 6 role Horvat's ability to take faceoffs, better defensive and board play will likely give him a leg up if he's ready.

If an injury hits, Horvat should be able to get the 3rd line spot before Richardson.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Burrows Bonino Kassian

Higgins Horvat Vey

Matthias Richardson Hansen

Dorsett

Sestito

With Jensen fox gaunce shinkaruk in the minors. That would be a deep team. And Horvat could fill in anywhere. Powerplay and penalty kill

Burrows!! great start to the season hope you turn it around big time!

That is my lineup just switch Hansen and Dorset.

14 forwards isn't likely though so Hansen or Sestito might have to go if there are no injuries to make room for Horvat.

There will be injuries to make room.

If Jensen is ready:

Sedin's/ Vrbata puck possesion and scoring

Jensen/Bonino/Kassian banging, skating and scoring

Higgins/ Horvat/ Burrows Checking, checking and checking and scoring

Mathias/ Richardson/ Dorset or Vey All purpose minutes, top 5 4th line in the league for sure.

Dorset or Vey

Sestito is #14

I disagree with your points on trade Richardson, Matthias, Sestito to make room for him.

Many have made points like this in regards to a number of our young guns and our vets.

A few things to be mindful of

1. Just because he / and others are good prospects doesn't mean they are physically or mentally ready to play in the NHL. A player unable to handle either of those things or both can be busted very easily.

2. Many canucks fans seem to over rate players we 'like' and assume they are sure things, and then call other players busts too early (Kassian v Shinkaruk for example, 2 years ago Kassian was a bust, first year Shink has one good game he's Patty Kane lol).

3. Suggesting we trade 2 very very talented role players on our team to make room for a kid who hasn't competed vs men, hasn't shown he can keep up with the pace yet is silly. Trading players to make room for youth only happens when the youth proves he can contribute on par or better than the vet, otherwise you weaken your team.

4. Bo Horvat, at this stage is not better than Richardson, who is a beast in the role he plays and is very very valuable (faceoffs, pk, tough minutes checking). Horvat could never contribute to that level in the next 2 years alone. Matthias tbd but from what we've seen he is a physical, fast, 200ft player that can be a stalward on the third or 4th lines. Again, Bo can't replace him at this stage. Sestito, sure, but that's also not Bo's role and Tom, if he's still here will be in the press box alot, and Bo needs to be on the ice. The key here is also what role is Bo going to play on this team, you don't make room for him in a role that he won't play long term, because then you create a hole in the line up both short term (as he learns and is worse than they guy you moved, and long term when you move him up the line up, there is a hole that wasn't filled correctly when he was in it, and now is empty).

Making room for the sake of making room to just give a kid ice doesn't make your team better, it makes it worse, it doesn't create the environment where players earn their spots, and it leads to busts aka oiler syndrome.

Alot of our best players took years to make the NHL and earned their spots, Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows, Schnieder (when we had him), etc etc...

I completely disagree w your point here

Get what you're saying but there's no special formula and can just as easily be argued.

1. How do you know where he is mentally and physically? Only Bo knows the mental aspect. Physical, he and the trainers know and from all the reports I've read, he's is NHL shape.

2. That happens with every fan base and is common in every sport team.

3. That's what training camp is for. Management has said themselves if they prove they deserve to be there, they'll make room and that's the nature of the game. Once ready, have to make room for that youngster.

4. You are assuming that and have no clue as to anyone else. Tyler Toffoli entered last year and beat out Mike Richards, a heck of a player. Richards got bumped down to the 4th line cause of his play. What am I trying to say? If Bo is ready, he can easily be better than Richardson. Sure Richardson is a great role player but Horvat has bigger potential than just being a role player and can easily have a bigger impact.

...again, get what you're trying to say but there's 2 sides to the story.

The answer to the question, "Should either Bo Horvat or Brendan Gaunce be given a chance on the big team" is... "Let's see how they look in pre-season, first."

If one out-performs the other, that's the guy you want to get in for at least nine games... If they both look like they belong, well then, that makes things interesting doesn't it?

The only option that makes sense for Bo is to stay with the Canucks. Gaunce can be sent down but Horvat cant so why keep Brendan over Bo? Linden and Benning are kidding themselves if they think this team can compete for a cup. Making the playoffs is possible and I doubt giving Bo a spot on the 3rd or 4th line would jeopardise that

Archived