The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks prospect Bo Horvat primed for rookie showcase

TheRussianRocket.

Because the prospects camp is really comparable to a beer league...

At times the play is scrambly out there, said Benning. Some of these guys whove played pro are used to more structure, so their game wouldnt show up as much in this group. Playing with better players, their games get better.

so why have this tournament? If its just a scrub washout round robin why play and risk injury? Why not extend rookie camp?

Very simplistic thinking there. You can do better Goose.

im sorry man I just dont see what some people are saying right now. I want him to succeed but as of right now im not impressed. I hope he does in camp and in pre-season but he hasn't done anything lately to make me think he will.

I hope I dont come off as a hater. I wamt these guys to be the future of our team. But I have to see it before I believe it.

so why have this tournament? If its just a scrub washout round robin why play and risk injury? Why not extend rookie camp?

Think of it as a warm up for the serious NHL bubble guys and a "hey look at me" opportunity for guys on the fringe. It helps a guy like Valk stand out and get noticed and helps gets the Jensen's, Horvat's, Shinkaruk's, Gaunces etc warmed up to be at their best come preseason.

im sorry man I just dont see what some people are saying right now. I want him to succeed but as of right now im not impressed. I hope he does in camp and in pre-season but he hasn't done anything lately to make me think he will.

I hope I dont come off as a hater. I wamt these guys to be the future of our team. But I have to see it before I believe it.

You don't see how scrambly pond hockey with a bunch of guys playing a "look at me" one man show style of hockey is ill suited to judge a guy like Horvat whose strengths are his ability to play systems/structure and utilize quality team mates?

Nobody should be putting anyone on or off the Canucks based on these games. Valk is not that good and guys like Horvat, Gaunce etc are not that unremarkable.

That said if you're looking for Horvat to "wow" you come preseason, you'll likely be disappointed there too. He's not ever going to be a flashy player. He'll make smart plays that move the puck forward and get a lot of "third" assists. That's his game, especially as he breaks in to the pros in a largely defensive role.

Sounds like me ..... as much as you want to see the guy do well .... and who know he may still do that .....but you have to be honest and judge on what you see. As Travis Greene stated he was OK...OK some kid named Valk outshined him. If Valk can do his thing why not Horvat. I watched him at the WJC and couldn't get excited and thought he'll turn it around but.... no signs yet. Maybe playing with better players will bring some thing out but ask your self why it hasn't boosted him last time he tried. Trouble is the Media et al keep boosting this guy and every one buys in. Just look, watch and decide for yourself....right now I'm with Greene

Your concerns are valid but don't jump to conclusions.

Think about Jensen last year. He basically dominated the young stars tournament, played really hard, and then got injured.

Therefore, he lost his chance to showcase his skills in the main camp, which is what really matters (on whether you make the team or not).

Do you think he got worse all of a sudden and that's why he didn't stick out in this year's tournament? I don't think so. Last year, he had something to prove, to show that he is good enough and ready to make the team. This year, he comes in having played some games in the NHL and has shown that he can play in the NHL.

I think most of the "veteran" young players like Corrado, Jensen, Gaunce, and Horvat know that they are going to use this tournament to tune their games. Whereas players like Ehlers, Bennett, Valk and so on has to show something (in Valk's case, a lot depended on this tournament). Shinkaruk is an exception due to his injury last season and he has to prove that he is fine now so he should've played harder, and actually, I think he did. He stuck out far more than say Jensen or Horvat.

From PITB:

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/09/16/heres-what-happened-at-the-canucks-third-youngstars-game/

Bo Horvat continues to be a typical prospect in reverse — good at all the little things that high-end prospects usually need to work on to become a complete player, but unproductive offensively in a way top prospects usually aren’t. For Canuck fans who grew accustomed to the opposite in players like Zack Kassian and Cody Hodgson, Horvat’s assets aren’t going to stand out. He needs to do more, of course, but he’s not doing as little as he appears. The kid is good.

alot of players play on their off wing buddy....not sure why so many assume a left handed shot always plays the left side etc.

As for Horvat, I said 'if mgmt had asked him to focus on that, it would make a great deal of sense' from all perspectives

1. he was very focused on playing well in his own zone/along the boards etc - played a conservative game

2. his role if he makes it will be 3/4th line and they will focus not on if he can score but as i said, if he can compete vs men and not be a defensive liability

3. It is actually highly likely they have communicated this to him as when players come into camp they do tend to have discussions on a one on one basis with the coaches to discuss what they need to focus on.

4. Don't think I am reading too much into it , disagree....players don't just walk into camp and get on the ice. A big part of their development is discussion and the team explaining the expecations and goals they have for them...that's how you actually evaluate, its not just 'let em loose' and lets see 'who gets it'...its communicate what the expectation is and see if they can accomplish it

5. This is first hand experience from playing competitive hockey

Because why play them on their off-wing when they obviously are better suited in their respective wing position? And Bo played that way because it's his game. You're just making excuese for his lack of production, but that's his game. He was just a couple bounces from being fairly productive and sometimes the bounces don't go your way.

From PITB:

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/09/16/heres-what-happened-at-the-canucks-third-youngstars-game/

Bo Horvat continues to be a typical prospect in reverse — good at all the little things that high-end prospects usually need to work on to become a complete player, but unproductive offensively in a way top prospects usually aren’t. For Canuck fans who grew accustomed to the opposite in players like Zack Kassian and Cody Hodgson, Horvat’s assets aren’t going to stand out. He needs to do more, of course, but he’s not doing as little as he appears. The kid is good.

Excellent summary from the guys at PITB.

It's a good thing that pencils have erasers. I wonder how many fans have erased him from their starting roster. The only way I ever saw him in our lineup was if we suffered injuries in pre-season. I actually had Gaunce and/or Jensen ahead of him.

Jumping the gun just as bad in the opposite direction doesn't actually make you smarter.

Does it rattle too many feathers, burn too many bridges in the CHL to consider sending him to Europe to play pro?

Play against men, increased calibre of training & competition, live away from home in a unique culture which is its own positive experience for a young man...

Swedish coffee beats Starbucks and is a damn site better than the Timmy's ( :sick:) he'll get in London.

Look; I'd like to see a 9 game stint. I just don't think we can handle it, without putting someone we don't want to lose on waivers. Maybe someone will be on LTIR?

Look; I'd like to see a 9 game stint. I just don't think we can handle it, without putting someone we don't want to lose on waivers. Maybe someone will be on LTIR?

Sestito? :lol:

I'd also be more surprised if there was no injuries than if Bo made the team personally.

He didn't impress much compared to kids who were just drafted and are 2 years younger than him (Nylander, Ehlers), however these kids play a skilled game that can take over in these tournaments. I'll judge Horvat properly in pre-season when he's faced with proper NHL defence men who are bigger and stronger and will probably demolish a kid like Ehlers.

Where did you see Nylander?

Does it rattle too many feathers, burn too many bridges in the CHL to consider sending him to Europe to play pro?

Play against men, increased calibre of training & competition, live away from home in a unique culture which is its own positive experience for a young man...

Swedish coffee beats Starbucks and is a damn site better than the Timmy's ( :sick:) he'll get in London.

I think that would be good for him to develop his offensive game over there, but would he still be able to play in the world juniors?

Agree with the above comments. The things the Canucks are looking for from Horvat weren't going to be on display during a glorified prospects all-star game. His shot at making the Canucks this year is as a 3rd line checking centre who can actually succeed in that role. Horvat isn't a dynamic skilled goal scorer, but he has the IQ and skills to grow in to being a top forward. Offense will come in time. Kesler spent 3 seasons as a strictly checking centreman, and even after he put up 30 goals in the AHL it took him another full NHL season and a half before he had a 20G campaign. Zach Kassian has played 156 NHL games over 3 season, and is still trying to take that next step.

If Bo Horvat can make the jump to being a full-time NHL checking centre, which has a lot more responsibility than some skilled winger who is going to come in and play with top line guys, score some goals, and be pretty insulated out there, than you've got something pretty special. Having him play a defensive role for 82 games where he ends up playing 14mins/night with 5G and 10A isn't going to hurt his development as a top forward. It's keeping him up then having to healthy scratch him or only play him 4 minutes a night because he can't play in the NHL yet that's going to kill a career. At 19 he needs to be able to play wherever he ends up.

Plus one!

You have nailed the position he has to earn and its value...

He didn't impress much compared to kids who were just drafted and are 2 years younger than him (Nylander, Ehlers), however these kids play a skilled game that can take over in these tournaments. I'll judge Horvat properly in pre-season when he's faced with proper NHL defence men who are bigger and stronger and will probably demolish a kid like Ehlers.

nylander is 13 months younger than horvat, ehlers is 10 months younger. those two were drafted in 2014, horvat in 2013.

where do you get 2 years?

Interesting comment, Jensen did that right? Instead of going back...I don't think not putting an overager back in Junior ruffles feathers but curious if they can under the CBA.....

If they don't have to, maybe try and help get him a 1 yr deal in the KHL against some pretty darn good opponents where speed is part of the game....

Nice idea!

Jensen was born in Denmark so he has European birth rights.

There has to be legal issues or NHL clubs would be using the European angle for development.

Archived