The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why does everyone drive above the posted speed limit?

ChrisCo!

Please state your point instead of just cut and pasting my posts.

It's hard to debate someone that keeps changing their tune and just keeps spinning (do you write speeches for the Liberals?).

He already apologized earlier, let him reinterpret past posts and flail around with bad arguments while ignoring what smacks him in the face all he likes now.

As for inane, don't waste your time.

You need to move to the right as you're going slower than the rest of the traffic here. Thanks for not being a douche. (your words).

lol says the guy who didn't understand the basics of the teachers votes, a topic you claim to be so interested in.

He already apologized earlier, let him reinterpret past posts and flail around with bad arguments while ignoring what smacks him in the face all he likes now.

As for inane, don't waste your time.

aww, you're gonna hurt my feelings.

Seriously? You guys are still going on about this?

No wonder politicians don't even want to listen to engineering reports. No matter what stance you take on any potential traffic law, regulation, standard, general practice whatever is sure to bring up a ****storm of "I know how to drive better than everyone else don't tell me what to do, you listen to what I tell you!" from people in almost every walk of life.

Next time you complain about traffic or bad drivers in Vancouver remember this thread. In Vancouver it's keep right except to pass unless you don't feel like it. In Vancouver it's don't speed unless you want to keep up with traffic. In Vancouver it's break the law just to make a left turn.

Heck, in Vancouver even our own premiers says "Red light! #### that, I am going right through!". If you don't like here, she's a villain. If you do, well, you probably recall going through a red light once or twice yourself.

And if anyone ever complains about me telling teachers how to teach, or anything similar, I will simply point out to the 13 pages of noise behind this. Even though I actually explained everything, it's on deaf ears.

So enjoy the sniping. I have had enough of this.

No I didn't. Stop trolling.

No idea why you guys can't understand it:

Strictly speaking, at this time BC does not have a regulation requiring drivers to "keep right except to pass". Currently, slow moving drivers must drive in the right lane, but we are reviewing the possibility of implementing an explicit requirement to "keep right except to pass" to address public concern over slow drivers using lanes that are generally considered to be "passing lanes". We are considering the implications for HOV lanes as part of our review.

IE HOV lanes are DIFFERENT!

Also, they are looking at what Washington has done and their wording.

Let me repeat that:

at this time BC does not have a regulation requiring drivers to "keep right except to pass".

In other words, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GET OUT OF THE BLOODY HOV LANE WHEN YOU"RE DOING THE SPEED LIMIT!!!!!!!!!!

They are considering that HOV lanes MAY be considered different after a review. That's not a blessing to consider it a done deal. But keep on reading into things whatever you want.

Heck, just make up your own rules as you go along. It's the Vancouver way.

Seriously? You guys are still going on about this?

No wonder politicians don't even want to listen to engineering reports. No matter what stance you take on any potential traffic law, regulation, standard, general practice whatever is sure to bring up a ****storm of "I know how to drive better than everyone else don't tell me what to do, you listen to what I tell you!" from people in almost every walk of life.

Next time you complain about traffic or bad drivers in Vancouver remember this thread. In Vancouver it's keep right except to pass unless you don't feel like it. In Vancouver it's don't speed unless you want to keep up with traffic. In Vancouver it's break the law just to make a left turn.

Heck, in Vancouver even our own premiers says "Red light! #### that, I am going right through!". If you don't like here, she's a villain. If you do, well, you probably recall going through a red light once or twice yourself.

And if anyone ever complains about me telling teachers how to teach, or anything similar, I will simply point out to the 13 pages of noise behind this. Even though I actually explained everything, it's on deaf ears.

So enjoy the sniping. I have had enough of this.

I agree except the bold part, unless that's just your "opinion".

They are considering that HOV lanes MAY be considered different after a review. That's not a blessing to consider it a done deal. But keep on reading into things whatever you want.

Heck, just make up your own rules as you go along. It's the Vancouver way.

"may be considered"

Government officials can't even be trusted to follow through on actual promises, so why would anyone take the utterly meaningless dialogue of "may be considered" as anything refuting what they just said, that the HOV lane is exempt from "keep right"?

The problem really boils down to attitude -- people who think they can drive at whatever speed they like, and that everyone must move over for them. The HOV lane explanations given by the BC employee cited earlier, as well as the Ministry ED, is a clear refuting of that logic. I gladly go the speed limit, legally driving, and legally staying there in HOV lanes to avoid traffic congestion when and if it happens. Cops will not ticket someone for going the speed limit and slower than the speeders who think they own the freeway. Clearly that touches a few posters' nerves, and like those on the freeway who are touchy as well, I gladly sit on cruise at the speed limit watching them rage about having to share the freeway. In life, you only need to exist to piss others off, might as well get your "7 chuckles off those mf'ers".

"may be considered"

Government officials can't even be trusted to follow through on actual promises, so why would anyone take the utterly meaningless dialogue of "may be considered" as anything refuting what they just said, that the HOV lane is exempt from "keep right"?

The problem really boils down to attitude -- people who think they can drive at whatever speed they like, and that everyone must move over for them. The HOV lane explanations given by the BC employee cited earlier, as well as the Ministry ED, is a clear refuting of that logic. I gladly go the speed limit, legally driving, and legally staying there in HOV lanes to avoid traffic congestion when and if it happens. Cops will not ticket someone for going the speed limit and slower than the speeders who think they own the freeway. Clearly that touches a few posters' nerves, and like those on the freeway who are touchy as well, I gladly sit on cruise at the speed limit watching them rage about having to share the freeway. In life, you only need to exist to piss others off, might as well get your "7 chuckles off those mf'ers".

Ironic that you selfishly and willfully slow the flow of traffic yet here mock sharing the road.

Why doesn't everyone just use some common sense and stay right if people are looking to pass. It's just safer and all this bs about lines and speed and whatever, who cares. Just be safe and move right.

Ironic that you selfishly and willfully slow the flow of traffic yet here mock sharing the road.

Why doesn't everyone just use some common sense and stay right if people are looking to pass. It's just safer and all this bs about lines and speed and whatever, who cares. Just be safe and move right.

It's not safer, trying to moving over 3-5 lanes when traffic congestion hits is far less safe than having speeders exit the HOV lane to go around, especially in the circumstance of light traffic flow, as has been complained about here. But no surprise, speeders think the rules were made for them.

My hypocrisy meter is going off like a "massage device".

Now that I can agree with you on - that it's common sense to move out of the way, as long as it's safe to do so - for if you cause an accident, ICBC will ding you 100% (like how a long time ago I swerved to avoid some idiot who failed to stop at a stop sign on Kingsway and I clipped the median - did $900 suspension damage that I had to pay out of my pocket - if I let him hit me - ICBC would have covered the cost).

Though sometimes it's not safer to be in the right most lane.

It's not safer, trying to moving over 3-5 lanes when traffic congestion hits is far less safe than having speeders exit the HOV lane to go around, especially in the circumstance of light traffic flow, as has been complained about here. But no surprise, speeders think the rules were made for them.

Who's moving over 3-5 lanes? We're talking one lane. Stop exaggerating.

If there's no slow down in traffic, there's no need to be in the HOV just because you can. Is that what this is about? People feel entitled to use that lane just because they can rather than because it makes sense? If there's no traffic, HOV lanes become irrelevant. If there is traffic, then you're likely going faster than traffic anyway so this whole discussion seems to be a circle of stupidity for no reason.

Who's moving over 3-5 lanes? We're talking one lane. Stop exaggerating.

If there's no slow down in traffic, there's no need to be in the HOV just because you can. Is that what this is about? People feel entitled to use that lane just because they can rather than because it makes sense? If there's no traffic, HOV lanes become irrelevant. If there is traffic, then you're likely going faster than traffic anyway so this whole discussion seems to be a circle of stupidity for no reason.

It's safer to be in the HOV lane, but I agree, if you're not doing the speed limit than you shouldn't be using it.

Archived