The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why does everyone drive above the posted speed limit?

ChrisCo!

Nor does it have anything to do with the lane(s) right of the HOV...so again, not sure how the HOV lane is safer.

?

Traffic merges on and off the highway and the lane that is used for that is the right most lane.

So yes it does affect the rightmost conventional traffic lane.

How else can you get on and off the highway?

?

Traffic merges on and off the highway and the lane that is used for that is the right most lane.

So yes it does affect the rightmost conventional traffic lane.

How else can you get on and off the highway?

No, you said it's safer to be in the HOV lane because of the merging in and out of the far right lane.

I'm saying there are lanes between the HOV lane and the furthest right lane, those lanes are equally safe as the HOV lane so that rationale doesn't hold water. Unless of course you're describing a mythological highway that has only two lanes and one is HOV.

No, you said it's safer to be in the HOV lane because of the merging in and out of the far right lane.

I'm saying there are lanes between the HOV lane and the furthest right lane, those lanes are equally safe as the HOV lane so that rationale doesn't hold water. Unless of course you're describing a mythological highway that has only two lanes and one is HOV.

Yes, it is safer as it is farthest away from danger.

No, the middle lane is not equally safe, as it is one lane closer.

4 cars, I'll label them H, L, R and M.

| H | L | R | M|

The HOV lane is also wider, car M merges and car R moves into the L lane to avoid contact.

Car L is a speeding git and not paying attention and is clipped by car R, causing a multiple car accident.

Thanks to the HOV lane being wider, car H is safe.

Next.

Yes, it is safer as it is farthest away from danger.

No, the middle lane is not equally safe, as it is one lane closer.

4 cars, I'll label them H, L, R and M.

| H | L | R | M|

The HOV lane is also wider, car M merges and car R moves into the L lane to avoid contact.

Car L is a speeding git and not paying attention and is clipped by car R, causing a multiple car accident.

Thanks to the HOV lane being wider, car H is safe.

Next.

Oh so now it's lane widths? I love your fantasy accident btw.

Again, you seem to want to ignore common sense for no real reason. If you're saying you drive in the hov lane slower than the flow of traffic because you're afraid of some mythological multiple car crash...yeah, not much to say.

Oh so now it's lane widths? I love your fantasy accident btw.

Again, you seem to want to ignore common sense for no real reason. If you're saying you drive in the hov lane slower than the flow of traffic because you're afraid of some mythological multiple car crash...yeah, not much to say.

Nope - didn't say that at all.

You said it's because it's safer. And the example you cited of safety was avoiding a multiple car crash. So...

I said it was safer as it's farthest away from merging traffic.

Didn't say anything about driving slower.

Didn't say anything about a "mythological" car crash.

I gave that scenario to help with your visualization and comprehension of what I am saying.

IMO, regardless of traffic volume, HOV lanes are safer due to decreased number of opportunities to enter it, as you can only enter from one side (assuming single lane HOV, there are some double lane ones here in California).

Since you only have vehicles entering the HOV lane from L to H (using Heretics example above), but other freeway lanes can have lane changes from either left or right sides, it doubles the directional source of impact while driving in normal lanes.

Take further into account that some (most?) HOV lanes are only only legally accessible at specified intervals, drivers are more aware on when a lane change can normally happen. I don't remember how they are back home, but down here you can usually only legally enter them every mile or so.

I said it was safer as it's farthest away from merging traffic.

Didn't say anything about driving slower.

Didn't say anything about a "mythological" car crash.

I gave that scenario to help with your visualization and comprehension of what I am saying.

Whatever, you're just trolling. You said "It's safer to be in the HOV lane", I asked why. You said "Yes, it is safer as it is farthest away from danger." The danger you then site as being this fabricated car crash.

And now you didn't say anything about a car crash. :picard:

Got me!

IMO, regardless of traffic volume, HOV lanes are safer due to decreased number of opportunities to enter it, as you can only enter from one side (assuming single lane HOV, there are some double lane ones here in California).

Since you only have vehicles entering the HOV lane from L to H (using Heretics example above), but other freeway lanes can have lane changes from either left or right sides, it doubles the directional source of impact while driving in normal lanes.

Take further into account that some (most?) HOV lanes are only only legally accessible at specified intervals, drivers are more aware on when a lane change can normally happen. I don't remember how they are back home, but down here you can usually only legally enter them every mile or so.

But then the point I'd brought up which no one had answered was that you have to merge through multiple lanes in order to even get to it. On top of that once you get to the left most lane next to the HOV, you may have to wait until the solid white line becomes dotted. Since that's a 'fast lane' you could potentially have to merge right (maybe even multiple times) and then back left when it's clear if you aren't travelling as fast as other cars in that lane.

Clearly, in congested traffic like rush hour you would have to merge through slow/stop and go traffic to get over (and likely not have to merge back right because you were going slower than others) before getting into the HOV lane, but the safety concern for all that merging (and the opposite merging for when you're looking to exit the highway) surely presents a valid counter to any safety increase the HOV lane gives once you're there.

Whatever, you're just trolling. You said "It's safer to be in the HOV lane", I asked why. You said "Yes, it is safer as it is farthest away from danger." The danger you then site as being this fabricated car crash.

Got me!

He also now didn't say anything about driving slower, which is the whole premise (i.e. slower traffic keep right) so you aren't going to convince him of anything.

Who's moving over 3-5 lanes? We're talking one lane. Stop exaggerating.

Really? You have no comprehension of your own posts?

You said for people to be in the right most lane who are going slower.. moving from there to the HOV lane is exactly that many lanes over.. and highly unsafe, never mind a stupid thing to do and an inconvenience when it's totally unnecessary. One can just be in the HOV lane instead.

Really? You have no comprehension of your own posts?

You said for people to be in the right most lane who are going slower.. moving from there to the HOV lane is exactly that many lanes over.. and highly unsafe, never mind a stupid thing to do and an inconvenience when it's totally unnecessary. One can just be in the HOV lane instead.

Where did I say that.

The right most lane is problematic due in part to people not know how to enter and/or exit the highway as well as just the fact that it is the merging lane for a highway.

Got me!

Please read my first post, and I said basically the same thing near the start of this thread.

Who is trolling whom?

But then the point I'd brought up which no one had answered was that you have to merge through multiple lanes in order to even get to it. On top of that once you get to the left most lane next to the HOV, you may have to wait until the solid white line becomes dotted. Since that's a 'fast lane' you could potentially have to merge right (maybe even multiple times) and then back left when it's clear if you aren't travelling as fast as other cars in that lane.

Clearly, in congested traffic like rush hour you would have to merge through slow/stop and go traffic to get over (and likely not have to merge back right because you were going slower than others) before getting into the HOV lane, but the safety concern for all that merging (and the opposite merging for when you're looking to exit the highway) surely presents a valid counter to any safety increase the HOV lane gives once you're there.

He also now didn't say anything about driving slower, which is the whole premise (i.e. slower traffic keep right) so you aren't going to convince him of anything.

Still spinning and not answering direct questions with a direct answer?

Please state your point instead of just cut and pasting my posts (and others).

I dunno, try scrolling back in our conversation? Or were you expecting me to hold your hand and quote it all for you? :lol:

Right, because I never did. Perhaps you misread or perhaps I wasn't clear as could be. Either way, you seem to be making silly exaggerations based on silly assumptions.

I don´t know what is a HOV lane but seems the cause of many problems in Canada because people are always saying "the HOV is mine and I don´t give to anybody" or "it´s the law, keep the right if you want pass..."

I´m wondering how the Average Canadian driver drive? do you guys keep the "rules of car traffic in Canada" all the time when you´re driving? because seems to be...

come on. it´s just drive. left lanes for fast cars, right lanes for slow cars, middle for average speeds...

want make a conversion? simple. use that fancy device called "mirror", it allows you look what´s happening BEHIND you car so you can plan before you make a move without hit the other car...

speed? simple...

if the speed limit is 100km/h a good idea is drive as close as 100km/h you can, it means the other car behind you will do the same. if you go well slower than it it means you´re not driving as fast as you could be...

SO it means all the cars behind your car will also go slow and so the others. creating the "train train effect"...

ok. it´s raining, it´s snowing, the Canucks won the Stanley Cup and you decided make your party on the highway?

super! but there´s some limits. if you don´t have skills on you car practice on a quiet road before take the croudy streets...

then there´s the guy on the left lane driving at 40km/h when the speed limit is 80km/h....

and the "how drive in highways 101" works for nothing!

here in Brazil is simple. left goes fast, right goes slow. if you´re doing the opposite people around you will be VERY angry...

Archived