The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Waivers) - Jacob Markstrom

Outsiders

wow... it looks like MIke Gillis should have taken the

1st round and second round pick and Luke Schenn offer. how bad he looks right now.

Didn't Lou nix whatever the possible trade to TO was?

At the end of the day, Lou used his negotiating trump to first get his $64 milloion dollar contract (or whatever it was).

AND piss, moan and frustrate everyone until he could parlay his NTC into a trade to his preferred destination (ala Kesler).

A buyout would have been a far better option than wasting salary cap for the next decade in exchange for a 4th liner. The only stupider move any GM has made in the last 2 years was Gillis giving away our best goalie for magic beans.

Pfft... :sick:

There is also the matter of having someone paying $20 plus million in salary over that period for free. You volunteering to contribute?

I'll not criticize an owner over refusing to write off money in that scale when there is an out...

Just BRUTAL. As far as cap goes, we're still paying for a top 5 goalie with nothing to show for it. CLAP CLAP CLAP.

Miller's cap hit is #7 this year among goaltenders and we haven't even seen him play yet.

That would be cool but it's not as definitely the "if A then B" logic you're using. I think your understanding of player value is deeply flawed. Players you HAVE to get rid of are basically worth nothing. And Markstrom is basically less than worthless because of his stumbles in the NHL thus far AND he has to go for 2 reasons:

1) Carrying 3 goalies is pointless

2) He takes up a roster spot which could go to a rookie. Perhaps a rookie who has proven his place on the roster. Perhaps a rookie who, if we send him down, we can't get him back until next year.

So a nice way of saying that; is that Markstrom is actually worth something. (He is.)

Just not when everyone knows leverage is working against you instead of holding it in the cards.

I wonder if it's a potential play on the waiver system; get him claimed by another GM who Benning has a good relationship with, then that GM turns around and waives him either then or sometime later. Then if we re-claim him, he can be assigned to the minors without needing to be re-waived.

Lou in NJ did that last year IIRC. It's dirty and risky, but it might be what they want to do.

I wonder if it's a potential play on the waiver system; get him claimed by another GM who Benning has a good relationship with, then that GM turns around and waives him either then or sometime later. Then if we re-claim him, he can be assigned to the minors without needing to be re-waived.

Lou in NJ did that last year IIRC. It's dirty and risky, but it might be what they want to do.

If Benning could pull that off after 3 months on the job, it's a testament to the respect he has in the hockey world. Gillis was quite clearly shunned by his trading partners. NJ and FLA.

Funny this was.... some of us thought he had the upper hand.

wow... it looks like MIke Gillis should have taken the

1st round and second round pick and Luke Schenn offer. how bad he looks right now.

As has been said, rumours. And while we're talking about rumours, that wasn't even an offer made to us but rather something similar was offered to Toronto. And then there's the rumour that Luongo blocked at least one deal early on after advice from his agent that he could still get a deal to Florida (which of course we know now isn't true since they didn't have the financial backing to accept Luongo in trade).

Or if I'm dreaming, gives us more space to trade for and sign say...Johansen :wub:

*swoon*

I was worried about FLA picking him back up but then I remembered they had Montoya. Who else do we think is in the running besides NJ and NYI?

The Islanders signed Chad Johnson mid-summer to a two year, $1.3M deal. I think they're set for now.

we've gone from Stanley cup favorites to 6th last in 4 seasons. Sorry to say but I think we've reserved the right as a fan base to be a little upset at the possbility of losing yet another asset. No team has lost more than we have in the last 5 years. No matter how you look at it.

So yes. Ill bitch If I feel the need to.

Devils went from losing in the finals to 8th in 1 season and then down to 5th in the next. They also decided to keep their 29th pick and lose their 8th.

Edmonton had 3 1st in a row and still suck

So it could be a lot worse

So if markstrom doesn't clear we traded Luongo and Steven Anthony for Shawn Matthias...

So now it's just Luongo for Shawn Matthias...awesome...

The real asset we gained in the deal is getting the cap space, getting rid of the contract and moving someone who didn't want to be here, Matthias & Markstrom were really just what we got for retaining some salary which was needed from Florida's POV.

If Benning could pull that off after 3 months on the job, it's a testament to the respect he has in the hockey world. Gillis was quite clearly shunned by his trading partners. NJ and FLA.

Funny this was.... some of us thought he had the upper hand.

The difference between the sides of the table might be a distance as wide as my hockey skill level vs Mike Bossy's. I suppose it all depends how Gillis conducted himself as an agent. I suppose it must not have been very kindly; more Kurt Overhardt than not judging by how many times he couldn't get things done. Benning's been in the 'hockey brain' seat for a long time. Worked his way through the traditional way; in an old boys club that the NHL is, that might be beneficial just in itself. Give "the new old guy" a boost, or a favour in the future. Say when they want to do the same thing in a season or two.

I can only hope our GM has that kind of presence.

Point?

Mine was Luongo is still on payroll. The amount (roughly of a back-up tender)

Not trying to be rude, just wondering if you could clarify what you mean?

Only 15% of Luongo's cap shows up - which is $800,000 - that's not a top 5 goaltender's payroll. We're paying for a backup with nothing to show for it, as you clarified here, but not a top 5 goaltender like you originally posted.

I thought you meant by "we're still paying for a top 5 goalie" that we're paying Ryan Miller top 5 goalie money - since he's actually the only one on our payroll that gets paid around there - and by "nothing to show for it" that Miller is not worth what he's getting paid.

Just BRUTAL. As far as cap goes, we're still paying for a top 5 goalie with nothing to show for it. CLAP CLAP CLAP.

Archived