The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Willie Desjardins is a winner. Can he make the Canucks one?

TheRussianRocket.

Thanks OP! I really enjoyed this read...

A few things I learned from this, most importantly,...we got a real coach folks! Summarized for those who don't want to read the whole thing...

- Just the fact that he chose Vancouver over Pittsburgh makes me appreciate him more. He didn't take the easy road and instead, chose Vancouver where things will be a lot harder....he doesn't shy from a challenge.

- Never missed the Playoffs in 10 years! CHL/AHL record is 424-222-67-15!

- He has experience and knows how to take a dysfunctional team from the bottom and turn them into winners...he did it in his first year with Medicine Hat? Some similarities with this team....

Notable quote:

"...in the late 1990s, the Tigers missed the playoffs for five straight years before Desjardins took over in 2002.

"Basically, he inherited a room of skillful losers," says Steve Marr, Desjardins's captain in Medicine Hat. He set a new tone on Day 1. "he gathered his vets for a meeting and announced: 'We're going to win a championship together.' We all burst out laughing, thinking to ourselves, 'Who the hell is this guy?' " Says Marr. "But, from camp on, all the guy ever talked about was winning." The Tigers' days as WHL doormats were over..."

"Recognizing he couldn't reach all 32 players, he chose a leader within each clique, forming a leadership core that met regularly for coffee, breakfast and in his room on the road. The outliers may not have bought into Desjardins's vision, but they were going to follow their buddies, who had. Within a year, Desjardines's diminutive Tigers had clawed their way to a league championship."

- Another thing that I like about him, he is willing to learn, change or adapt if necessary. I found this characteristic lacking in the former 2 coaches we had.

Referencing his 2010 gold medal loss to the U.S. in overtime:

"As a coach, overtime or not, it's your job to find a way to win." He redoubled his studies in the wake of the loss. He remains convinced Canada 'would have won the tournament,' had he known then what he does now."

"...the Stars stole a win from a superior Kings squad with a play Desjardins dreamed up in a time out. Off the faceoff, Desjardins sent Loui Eriksson charging down the ice. The explosive Swede caught a cross-ice feed with 20.3 seconds remaining in the game..."

- Great systems to get the most out of his players...

"After one particular ugly loss, he made each of his Tigers write the name of a loved one inside their jerseys, to remind them what they were playing for, to take pride in their game."

We should send a couple Nucks some water-proof markers...

- I also like how he used the water boil. Great analogy....little things like this make a huge impact on some people.

I've said this numerous times, but WD is the difference maker for this team....and the players who will gain the most out of this will be the players who will make the biggest difference on this team. Without an improvement in these players....no chance for us to make the Playoffs.

Edler, Kass, Burrows, Hansen.... and any prospect that plays with the Nucks, so I'll include Bo as well....for now.

Honestly speaking, I've read this article 2-3 times now and it amazes me every time. Wow. How fortunate and lucky we are to have landed this guy. Probably, if not, the biggest signing alongside Benning&Linden this summer.

I've been recommending this article left, right and centre to people who aren't even into hockey as much as I am.

He's been my favourite Benning/Linden acquisition.

After one particularly ugly loss, he made each of his Tigers write the name of a loved one inside their jerseys, to remind them what they were playing for, to take pride in their game.

Last week, Desjardins showed the Canucks a video of a pot of water being brought to a boil. By the time the water hit 211° F, it was white-hot. At 212° F, it began to boil and create steam. A single degree made a world of difference, Desjardins explained: Suddenly, that water is strong enough to power a 240-tonne locomotive. It’s that extra degree Desjardins is aiming to get from the Canucks this season.

This guy.

I stopped reading after the phrases "lowly Vancouver Canucks" and "missed the playoffs for the first time in six years" were within a sentence of each other.

Got a chuckle out of that as well.

First thoughts - Nancy's probably from Onterrible haha.

Hey Nancy - the Canucks haven't had a losing season in 14 years, since 1998/9.

Ironically, that was the season that the Canucks handed the bench over to a volatile hardass named Mike Keenan.

They won five straight division titles before last season's V2.0 - John Tortorella, who very nearly took them back to 1999.

The Canucks are winners however - it's just a matter of 'degree'.

Thankfully no one knew the need to right that situation better than Trevor Linden. So TL brought in a pair of winners, who will also in all likelihood help their players become better people and hockey players.

A winner steps behind the bench of a group of winners.

I love the analogy that WD used as a teaching point. Willie is here to get that water up to the point of steam.

Torts was also a winner. Was AV?

On Torts...WAS...past tense. On AV...15 playoff wins in 2011 WAS as good as it got for him.

IMO, I'm glad for a guy like Desjardins to finally get a shot in the NHL...hopefully all the winning he's done has prepared him for what is hopefully to come in the next few years for the Canucks.

Thanks OP! I really enjoyed this read...

A few things I learned from this, most importantly,...we got a real coach folks! Summarized for those who don't want to read the whole thing...

- Just the fact that he chose Vancouver over Pittsburgh makes me appreciate him more. He didn't take the easy road and instead, chose Vancouver where things will be a lot harder....he doesn't shy from a challenge.

- Never missed the Playoffs in 10 years! CHL/AHL record is 424-222-67-15!

- He has experience and knows how to take a dysfunctional team from the bottom and turn them into winners...he did it in his first year with Medicine Hat? Some similarities with this team....

Notable quote:

"...in the late 1990s, the Tigers missed the playoffs for five straight years before Desjardins took over in 2002.

"Basically, he inherited a room of skillful losers," says Steve Marr, Desjardins's captain in Medicine Hat. He set a new tone on Day 1. "he gathered his vets for a meeting and announced: 'We're going to win a championship together.' We all burst out laughing, thinking to ourselves, 'Who the hell is this guy?' " Says Marr. "But, from camp on, all the guy ever talked about was winning." The Tigers' days as WHL doormats were over..."

"Recognizing he couldn't reach all 32 players, he chose a leader within each clique, forming a leadership core that met regularly for coffee, breakfast and in his room on the road. The outliers may not have bought into Desjardins's vision, but they were going to follow their buddies, who had. Within a year, Desjardines's diminutive Tigers had clawed their way to a league championship."

- Another thing that I like about him, he is willing to learn, change or adapt if necessary. I found this characteristic lacking in the former 2 coaches we had.

Referencing his 2010 gold medal loss to the U.S. in overtime:

"As a coach, overtime or not, it's your job to find a way to win." He redoubled his studies in the wake of the loss. He remains convinced Canada 'would have won the tournament,' had he known then what he does now."

"...the Stars stole a win from a superior Kings squad with a play Desjardins dreamed up in a time out. Off the faceoff, Desjardins sent Loui Eriksson charging down the ice. The explosive Swede caught a cross-ice feed with 20.3 seconds remaining in the game..."

- Great systems to get the most out of his players...

"After one particular ugly loss, he made each of his Tigers write the name of a loved one inside their jerseys, to remind them what they were playing for, to take pride in their game."

We should send a couple Nucks some water-proof markers...

- I also like how he used the water boil. Great analogy....little things like this make a huge impact on some people.

I've said this numerous times, but WD is the difference maker for this team....and the players who will gain the most out of this will be the players who will make the biggest difference on this team. Without an improvement in these players....no chance for us to make the Playoffs.

Edler, Kass, Burrows, Hansen.... and any prospect that plays with the Nucks, so I'll include Bo as well....for now.

Great hilites. Really is hard to keep a lid on the optimism, after reading this.

Archived