The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) TOR-VAN

GM PLACE ROCKS

Some of the Nonis jokes are lol. Nonis imo is probably building bridges and sending out some feelers. I would love for us to get Franson but only if its at the right price. There could be a good chance he could sign here in the summer as a ufa. Its a bit early in the season to make some drastic changes but we will see what happens. I'm sure Jimbo will get us a good deal. He is smart and has a plan. A right handed d man would be sweet.

Seriously though. Can we trade one of our Bottom 6 and a mediocre prospect for there first this year?

Please please please Mr Benning!?

"Seriously though" you said?

And shouldn't that be "Please please please Mr. Nonis?"

That's a good hockey trade. That's a Benning trade.

Franson is a playoff performer. Check out his stats. Memorial Cup with the Vancouver Giants in 2007. Lucic was on that team.

I'd thought when I saw the Matthias for Franson suggestion someone was making another Nonis joke, thinking surely nobody could think our 4th line centre is worth as much as a top 4 D-man (and, as Canucks need, a right hand shot)-with the defenceman a higher scorer, year after year, than the centre.

Obviously I was wrong.

Yes, I know Franson isn't perfect, but come on ...

From HF:

Apparently, On Wednesday, multiple members of the Maple Leafs' scouting staff attended the Oilers' 7-4 loss to the Coyotes in Arizona.

On Friday, Leafs GM Dave Nonis was in attendance to check out the Oilers' home game against the Vancouver Canucks, who won 2-0.

This is where most people thought Nonis was actually talking to Benning about the trade but it looks like the Oilers are his target.

Columbus Blue Jackets, St. Louis Blues, Philadelphia Flyers and Detroit Red Wings are among the teams also interested in at least one member of the Oilers' current roster.

As expected with their horrible start, MacT's looking for improvements more than us. Speculation should be TO-EDM, not TO-VAN.

I think MacT's thinking Gardiner or esp. Franson will help. While Franson is a UFA next summer and will be hard for Nonis (or MacT) to keep.

While Nonis is probably looking at Petry, also a UFA next summer. Would a Franson/Petry swap have any affect on either team? Not really. And both may still walk as UFA's.

There are other situations to consider though. How long will Yakupov tolerate being a 9th forward on a horrible team like Edm? How long will Draisaitl be on the team this season? How long will Edm think that Schultz can get away with playing no defense. Is Kadri going to be in TO's long-term plans? Is Eberle or the Nuge going to want to improve all that much on their own if they're already signed to huge contracts?

TO and Edm have much of the same problems. Soft forwards, lethargic defense, poor player development, bad coaching. So maybe they can't help each other out that much. But I think a trade is coming anyway. Probably a stupid one for both teams.

TO and Edm have much of the same problems. Soft forwards, lethargic defense, poor player development, bad coaching. So maybe they can't help each other out that much. But I think a trade is coming anyway. Probably a stupid one for both teams.

Love this.

Archived