The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat to make NHL debut versus Colorado

TheRussianRocket.

I'd say Bo is not as good as anyone ion the current lineup so he's going to have a hard time breaking in.

edit.....not as good yet!

How is he going to have a hard time when he is going to be given a spot in the lineup?

OK so he is NOT burning it up in the AHL so........... how does he earn a spot on the big club? I don't see him being better than Matthias or Richardson right now who are proven NHL'ers. Maybe just some wishful thinking here I don't know.

He's not being given a chance because he's expected to light it up. If that's what YOU are expecting, you're going to be disappointed.

He's being given a shot to add depth and balance to our bottom 6, win face offs and play a solid, defense first, bottom 6 role and improve from there.

OK so he is NOT burning it up in the AHL so........... how does he earn a spot on the big club? I don't see him being better than Matthias or Richardson right now who are proven NHL'ers. Maybe just some wishful thinking here I don't know.

Idk what people don't get. Horvat's role will not be to be a point per game scorer for us and likely never will. He's being brought up here to use his safe all around 2-way game to help the team and the special teams skills he has + additional skills such as faceoffs.

Scoring is not a priority with Bo at this point so whoever thinks because he's not "burning" up the scoreboard in the AHL doesn't deserve to be here does not understand hockey. It doesn't work that way especially with this type of a player.

Spin it around.

I'd like to see Bo play with two vets. Higgins and Burrows, or Burrows and Hansen. Get him started with guys who create pressure defensively and he has to match their work rate and intensity. Let them match up against top lines using his size in the middle plus face off prowess; Bo's specialty.

If he's good defensively, lets see what he's got? We'll know right away if he can help the team...

(BTW, that potentially leaves an offensive 3rd line of Higgins / Bonino / Kassian. That will also tell us quickly if Kassian is really the offensive player we hope he is? 4th line of Vey or Mathias / Richardson / Dorsett.)

I'd also like to see him with two vets, he already seems pretty calm and aware on the ice but I'd really like to see him play with guys that will force him to up his game. Two good options already mentioned above, Richardson being another option on wing.

Edit: I don't see him getting more than 9 games this year... But would I ever be stoked if he starts lighting it up.. (doubtful) or is truely Cpt. Responsible (more likely)

As I understand it, if he is on the 23 man roster whether he is playing or scratched, the games count toward the 9 games he is allowed before eligibility to be sent to Junior runs out. Am I wrong? That would mean his eligibility runs out Nov. 20.

If I am right then we will not be able to keep him up until the World Jrs.

It says 'play' and if he's scratched then he's not playing, so I read it as he must in the line-up for that game for it to count towards the nine.

I'd say

Vey Horvat Kassian

Dorsett Richardson Hansen

I posed exactly the same line...Vey is the best finisher in the bottom 6, Horvat is great in both directions and on the dot and is a great passer, Kassian brings phyiscal and great hands. I would bump Mathias down and sit Dorsett as Mathias is the more skilled player.

OK RussianRocket so it seems you know a lot about hockey and apparently I don't. So if we are just talking defense play then you are telling me BO is going to be better at this than Richardson,Matthias,Hansen etc. ? or any other regular NHLer ? From what I have seen in years of watching hockey is that a rookie will be given a chance to "prove " himself when there is a "Need" on the big club. They are winning and playing good right now so what is the need to give the rookie another tryout?

It says 'play' and if he's scratched then he's not playing, so I read it as he must in the line-up for that game for it to count towards the nine.

I hope you are right. I read a bunch of forum posts from all across the web and I can't find the specific answer outside of opinion or interpretation. If we can use him sparingly until the World Jrs that would be best case scenario...in my opinion anyway.

As I understand it, if he is on the 23 man roster whether he is playing or scratched, the games count toward the 9 games he is allowed before eligibility to be sent to Junior runs out. Am I wrong? That would mean his eligibility runs out Nov. 20.

If I am right then we will not be able to keep him up until the World Jrs.

The rule quoted states that after he appears in his 10th, so I think it's nine games played.

Because J.R. you said he would brought in to bring "depth" and "balance" to the bottom 6th and not for his offensive prowess. To me that's a "plug". We have some pretty good ones on this team right now. LOL!

Well then you'd be wrong.

Malholtra wasn't brought in for his offense either. What a plug I guess? :rolleyes:

OK RussianRocket so it seems you know a lot about hockey and apparently I don't. So if we are just talking defense play then you are telling me BO is going to be better at this than Richardson,Matthias,Hansen etc. ? or any other regular NHLer ? From what I have seen in years of watching hockey is that a rookie will be given a chance to "prove " himself when there is a "Need" on the big club. They are winning and playing good right now so what is the need to give the rookie another tryout?

From your years of watching hockey, you should know the only way he can be brought up from a conditioning stint in the AHL is if he *ALREADY MADE THE TEAM* he'll be inserted where they intended him before the injury... or similar based on play of existing lines/other players. :)

Idk what people don't get.

Scoring is not a priority with Bo at this point so whoever thinks because he's not "burning" up the scoreboard in the AHL doesn't deserve to be here does not understand hockey. It doesn't work that way especially with this type of a player.

He is playing limited minutes in a third line role in the AHL with 0 points scored.

If he is barely scratching the impact surface in the AHL he will be lucky to get a few games in with the big club in a limited role and then head back to junior.

Because J.R. you said he would brought in to bring "depth" and "balance" to the bottom 6th and not for his offensive prowess. To me that's a "plug". We have some pretty good ones on this team right now. LOL!

Then you have a very narrow minded view of bottom 6 players if being good defensively and bringing a solid two way game is plug status.

Malholtra wasn't brought in for his offense either. What a plug I guess? :rolleyes:

Manny cracked the NHL at 18 years of age and played a full NHL season.

He was also back playing in the OHL at 20 years of age.

Unrealistic bar set with a Malholtra comparison when Bo is doing a third line stint in the A at 19 years of age.

I guess teams draft for no reason then. It's not like we're the 2nd oldest team in the league or anything like that, surely not right? Oh yea, that is right.

/implementing youth.

He is playing limited minutes in a third line role in the AHL with 0 points scored.

If he is barely scratching the impact surface in the AHL he will be lucky to get a few games in with the big club in a limited role and then head back to junior.

@CometsTales:

"It's his first two professional games, he's a very responsible player. -Travis Green on @BoHorvat

...he's coming off an injury. It's called a "conditioning stint" for a reason and not "rush the guy back onto top minutes and expect he hasn't lost a step since". Preparing him for the NHL and getting his rythm/timing/etc back.

Archived