The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat to make NHL debut versus Colorado

TheRussianRocket.

I was going to ask what his face-off record was in the AHL, but apparently they don't keep track of that. Anyone know?

according the the poster form Utica who has seen 3 games live, he's been poor in the faceoff circle, losing more than he's winning. Not too concerned about that as he hasn't played much since last season and faceoffs are something you need to keep up with.

...he's coming off an injury. It's called a "conditioning stint" for a reason and not "rush the guy back onto top minutes and expect he hasn't lost a step since". Preparing him for the NHL and getting his rythm/timing/etc back.

It was more a stunt than a stint but whatever,the team needs all the options it has at it's disposal if it is to legitimately contend.

This is the perfect point in the season to bring him in. If he starts vs Nashville on Sunday and sticks for 9 games he will play through a lot of quality teams. Including 2 games with Ana which you know if we lose Bonino and Sbisa are going to go even harder the next game. This will be an interesting development opportunity for sure. If he starts a 9 game stint with Av's game Tuesday he will land his 9th game against the Chicago. (this being if he gets his 9 game tryout).

Nashville, Colorado, San Jose, LA, Anaheim, Ottawa, Arizona, Edmonton, Anaheim, and Chicago.

That is a great sample size to see how he fairs against some of the best and most common teams we play against. Whether or not he sticks is another thing. I hope he plays his first game vs the Aves on tuesday. I work this weekend and am off on tues :D (Work evenings)

There's no way he plays Sunday

He won't play 3 games in 3 days

Even though he doesn't have any points in the AHL

The team hasn't lost since he's been down and they haven't allowed many goals against

That's gotta be worth something

http://thecanuckway.com/2014/10/30/bo-horvat-return-vancouver-canucks-sunday/

The face of Bo is returning. Here's to hoping he has a solid 9 game stint and plays well at the World Juniors. Then management can take a good hard look and decide if he's ready for the big game. ...either way whatever ends up happening, Bo's injury was really a blessing in disguise. If he ends up staying with the team, awesome. If not, 6 games in the AHL with the conditioning stint, 9 games in the NHL, playing the World Juniors and then heading back down to the juniors is way more than what he should've had. A lot more time to adapt to the pro game and get a feel of it, more development, just plus's all across the board for him. Absolutely no harm in that.

With that, likely see Bo suit up in his first game next Tuesday, Nov.4th against the Avs. I see Matthias being the odd man out as a healthy scratch considering he hasn't been playing great. Plus from what I remember seeing, Richardson is much better on the wing than Matthias. Possibly see a Richardson-Horvat-Kassian line to start thins off.

Even though I hope he performs well enough to stick with the Canucks, I think this is the best path for his career. Playing in all 3 leagues plus an all-star tounament will be invaluable to his progression. If the Canucks are able to win with him in the lineup and he doesn't make any glaring mistakes, it makes it tough to send him to the junior ranks. Go Bo. Make it impossible for Willie to send you down.

As I understand it, if he is on the 23 man roster whether he is playing or scratched, the games count toward the 9 games he is allowed before eligibility to be sent to Junior runs out. Am I wrong? That would mean his eligibility runs out Nov. 20.

If I am right then we will not be able to keep him up until the World Jrs.

As others have said, it really only is games played, not games he's been in the 23 man roster for. It's not often you see it since it doesn't help their development, but you do see some teams mark down a prospect as a healthy scratch to keep them a bit longer so they can get more practice time.

If your scenario were the case, he's technically on the 23-man roster right now so it wouldn't matter if he's on IR or in Utica on a conditioning stint.

There's no way he plays Sunday

He won't play 3 games in 3 days

Even though he doesn't have any points in the AHL

The team hasn't lost since he's been down and they haven't allowed many goals against

That's gotta be worth something

It's quite possible they sit him in the press box for the Sunday game and then rotate him in for the next game. Depends on Matthias in large part I think, or if anyone else really under-performs that he could come into the roster for.

Posted this in the PGT but two line up suggestions for Nashville then California:

Nashville:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Vey - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Horvat - Burrows

Matthias - Richardson - Hansen

California:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Vey - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Horvat - Burrows

Sestito - Richardson/Matthias - Hansen/Dorsett

Higgins and Burrows together for chemistry and would be great mentors for Horvat. Sestito comes in for California meaning 2 of Matthias/Richardson/Hansen/Dorsett will have to sit.

I think he will definitely be in the pressbox sunday and simply practice and be around the guys for a few days at least. I actually hope we dont see him for a while since it'll probably mean we lost, there was an injury, or someone was really struggling.

I havent watched the comets games but he might be able to help defensively and in faceoffs if he gets up to speed. And if he struggles in that regard then send him back to junior so he can play big minutes. Any offense that he provides is irrelevant and is just a bonus IMO.

Then you have a very narrow minded view of bottom 6 players if being good defensively and bringing a solid two way game is plug status.

Well a solid 'two way game' to me means making a contribution at both ends. Zero points isn't much of a contribution at one of the ends.

Kassian? Are you serious?

Awesome avatar! Brings back memories. I'd also like to see Horvat in the lineup, but yeah, it's hard to pick who's been "bad enough" to get scratched given the team's fairly high level of success so far. I'd guess Matthias is the odd man out, nobody else on the roster has not met expectations so far. I thought Matthias would use his size more and gun for 18-23 goals or so but so far he hasn't been great.

I look forward for this 'nice problem' to work itself out :)

I like Shawn Mathias with Brad Richardson

Dorsett-Horvat-Vey

Matthias-Richardson-Kassian

I feel like Horvat and Vey are good couplements. Vey is a good finisher, and Horvat is strong up the middle. Derek Dorsett is a man child. He is 100% hustle. It would be great to feed that energy into these young rookies and get them going.

I've said it before and I will say it again. Mathias and Richardson just have chemistry to work well together. Last year, during our monumental crumble, Mathias, Richardson and Kassian were one of our best lines. They just work well together. Put them together, and thats 4 lines that can go.

Sestito and Hansen are the odd men out for now

If Matthias can build on last game where he showed his speed and potential, it may be a tougher decision for WD and JB to slot Bo in.

Certainly he will be a help in the circle but if that line with Kass, Richardson and Matthias starts to consistently play like they did last game, it will be hard to break them up in the hopes Bo can improve things.

I expect that line to continue to get better. Both Richardson and Matthias commented on how poor they have played and how they are starting to come around. I don't see WD as someone who would mess with it if it is showing promise.

This

Archived