The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] VAN Alexandre Mallet + Pick :: NYI Andrey Pedan

Strombone1

My Busted Balls perspective says that all things Canuck are bound to fail, and this is simply the latest expression of a futile attempt to improve, when the team ought to be focusing on fulfilling the intent of the disempowering conspiracy overlying all things. This team should be tanking - cause the Power in the South would hate to see this team tank, Right!

McDavid would be our Saviour!

When things go to hell, folks need one of those.

If my big balls predictions on all of our prospects becoming all-stars comes true, then that trumps any notion of a McDavid saviour. Believe, guy!

We've been believing for 40+ years!!!

Just spoke to someone in the know who gave me an interesting tidbit...I can't verify it yet though.

Apparently his father is the major distributor of Russian military equipment and paraphernalia in the US, and that his parents are currently now based out of Florida for their business. The implication was that it is very lucrative.

If true it means he has even more connection to North America than just hockey so he's even less likely to go the KHL route. Apparently he fully committed to playing in the NHL.

... For the Panthers.

Just spoke to someone in the know who gave me an interesting tidbit...I can't verify it yet though.

Apparently his father is the major distributor of Russian military equipment and paraphernalia in the US, and that his parents are currently now based out of Florida for their business. The implication was that it is very lucrative.

If true it means he has even more connection to North America than just hockey so he's even less likely to go the KHL route. Apparently he fully committed to playing in the NHL.

Sounds like the background for some Nicolas Cage character in a lousy B-movie I once streamed on the net..Or could he be the young pitcher who looked up to Uncle Frank Lucas?

Have we all been reduced to believing in Eastern Promises?..

I'm just curious what these predominant bad habits are?

I heard a similar song regarding Sbisa sung quite a lot around here - and yet it hasn't taken all that long for the people parroting that to abandon that story. Some coaches/people seem to think that busting a guys balls will make more of a man out of him, or a player more productive. I find that completely counterproductive in almost all cases, and look at Tortorella's effect on guys like Edler and Hansen as prime local and recent examples of the failure in that approach. I think there are countless other examples in other contexts that make the point (not simply looking to pinpoint Tortorella here).

One very notable thing about Willie Desjardins - whenever a media type goes fishing for negativity regarding any of his players, he instantly responds with affirming that whomever they are talking about is a good hockey player, refers to a few of their best attributes, and then might acknowledge that there is room for improvement in areas. We'll see if that's just soft soap or whether it gets better results in the end. All indications are that it works pretty well for him. It can go a long way with getting the best out of players.

I have a lot more faith in the Canucks scouting, management and coaching than I do in internet nellies that write young players off prematurely - and that's not a reference to your post, where you're simply suggesting that he could take time - but a tendency to abort commitment to certain players because some folks seriously underestimate realistic development timelines.

I think the incorrect impression a few people here may have is that acquiring Pedan is somehow a response / the answer to the Hamhuis injury. He's probably not earmarked for a short term ascendancy to the Canucks roster, but at the same time, there are players who simply improve much more rapidly in circumstances designed for their success. The New York Islanders have accumulated enough young talent that they can't necessarily go wrong with all of it - however, I'm not necessarily sold on the way they handle it - and aside from a number of can't miss prospects, they also have a fairly questionable history. The most obvious recent example is Nino Niederreiter, who they "developed" in an absolutely confounding way. I like the team so I'm not going to pick apart their failures (and they've had lots of notable success recently), but I sure as hell wouldn't assume that because a guy falls out of favour in the Islanders system, that their value should be perceived accordingly. I'd be more inclined to take advantage of the way they devalue some of their assets. In Pedan's case there's also simply the fact that the Islanders have a lot of other shiny assets to focus on.

I think they are one of the best trade partners to be pick pocketing right now and Pedan is a hell of an intelligent risk imo.

ON in mid-season form already..A riveting, comprehensive overview.

I do too.

As for bad habits, I went on hfboard where a lot of Islanders fans said he's got all the tools but they question his hockey IQ to put it all together, so to speak. Also apparently he's really undisciplined and has a temper (some would say the latter is good but still needs to be controlled somewhat and be smart about it). That's what those guys said though so obviously nothing that a scout has said.

I rarely concern myself with what fans in general say.

If one were to read our game day threads for example or deal players based on fan opinons, there'd be no one left on the roster.

Those are pretty much parallel concerns (has the tools but lacking hockey IQ / poor decision making) that were repeated from Anaheim fan boards regarding Sbisa - who is 24, not 21. It didn't really take Sbisa long at all to simplify his puck moving game - the risky stretch passes have been pretty much eliminated, and he's been playing excellent hockey as far as I'm concerned. Was Sbisa trying too hard to impress before, and settled down when he stopped trying too hard to produce more offensive flash? Is his improvement as a result of reassurance / a vote of confidence from WD? Is it better systems hockey that has made him more comfortable? Who knows - but one thing is certain imo - the 'assessment' of Sbisa as a guy with lots of tools but lacking hockey IQ doesn't carry much weight imo. As for Pedan - having all those tools, a mean streak, and actually being a pretty dependable defensive presence at a young age - I'd say there's a lot to work with there. Judging a lack of hockey IQ can be tricky - a lot of factors - and fans tend to jump to these conclusions by dwelling on a few mistakes that get blown into character faults.

I rarely concern myself with what fans in general say.

If one were to read our game day threads for example or deal players based on fan opinons, there'd be no one left on the roster.

Those are pretty much parallel concerns (has the tools but lacking hockey IQ / poor decision making) that were repeated from Anaheim fan boards regarding Sbisa - who is 24, not 21. It didn't really take Sbisa long at all to simplify his puck moving game - the risky stretch passes have been pretty much eliminated, and he's been playing excellent hockey as far as I'm concerned. Was Sbisa trying too hard to impress before, and settled down when he stopped trying too hard to produce more offensive flash? Is his improvement as a result of reassurance / a vote of confidence from WD? Is it better systems hockey that has made him more comfortable? Who knows - but one thing is certain imo - the 'assessment' of Sbisa as a guy with lots of tools but lacking hockey IQ doesn't carry much weight imo. As for Pedan - having all those tools, a mean streak, and actually being a pretty dependable defensive presence at a young age - I'd say there's a lot to work with there. Judging a lack of hockey IQ can be tricky - a lot of factors - and fans tend to jump to these conclusions by dwelling on a few mistakes that get blown into character faults.

I don't get what you're trying to say? What is your point in response to my posts so far? More importantly, what do you think that I was saying? I feel like you are mistaking my opinions on this trade.

I'd say petan has a 50% chance of making the NHL. A 3rd rounder has 15% chance and mallet has a 5% chance.

50%>>>20%

Pedan was a third round draft pick, so does he qualify for the 15% chance of making the NHL?

I would agree that Pedan is one of those 3rd rounders who may turn out to be a decent pro...size, meanness, and some offensive skills.

This wasn't about doing better or shopping draft picks, it was about Benning going out and getting the guy he wanted. He made the deal, Islanders got what they wanted in return.

Yup, exactly that. He paid what he figured the guy was worth. Going by past (albeit limited) experience of valuation, it would appear he believes he will play for the Canucks one day.

You have no idea the reason this deal was made. It could be because he wanted to upgrade the defence position in our propsect pool maybe he wasn't confident in anybody else in our system to replace the next injury we get on defence. He might have wanted him but that's not a good enough reason to trade for a player, that's not good asset management.

I'm loving Benning's move so far this season but Dorsett was traded for a 3rd rounder, Pedan has been in the AHL most of the season. I don't get it.

Maybe Benning sees some high potential for him but if he's going to get what he wants then I don't want him to overpay and it looks like he might have just overpaid because of why you think he did this trade.

Archived