The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] VAN Alexandre Mallet + Pick :: NYI Andrey Pedan

Strombone1

I was just looking at that year's draft. LOL Canucks could have had Tanner Pearson

What a disaster of a draft. It's one of those drafts that a token CDC board member with some "ranking sheets" couldn't possibly do much worse than Gillis did.

Because it's already been addressed by someone else who has some insight to the situation. What insight do you have, besides some experience playing a hockey simulator? What good is an uninformed opinion?

It's not like Robongo was making an original opinion on the first page. It's clear that he didn't bother reading the other pages because he is adding nothing new to the discussion.

People like you have a right to doubt whether or not it is 'okay' to throw away picks from 2014 and 2016. It's good that you're keeping track of stuff like that. In previous regimes, the 2nd round pick was a bit of a throw-away, especially under Burke.

Gillis has thrown picks away before too. Then again, some of his drafting had been atrocious. Mallet was a horrible pick, though I hoped that he was going to be something different.

However, simply repeating your point doesn't make your point more valid than any other person's. We get it, you're skeptical about the 3rd round pick, yet people have given statistics as to how successful (or unsuccessful) a 3rd round pick is.

Do you know someone in the 3rd round pick that we should choose in 2016? I highly doubt it. Very few on the boards, if any, do.

You're right I didn't read the first page. My apologies

Lots of PIMs isn't always a good thing. From what I gather he takes a ton of ill advised penalties. Hopefully the coaches in Utica can bring out the best in him and play a bit more disciplined

He also fights pretty much every game. Hence the high PIMs.

If the coaches put him in the top 4 and tell him to focus on playing disciplined, then I'm sure he will.

It's not about winning a trade with a deal like this… it's about making the correct pick…. it's exactly the same. Wagering that Pedan is a better pick than who would be available at 75-90 in 2016. It's a solid bet…. it really is.

Pedan's chances of contributing to an NHL squad for multiple years is MUCH higher than that pick IMHO. Probably 3-1.

Thanks for your insights, minister.

Should consider as well -- Pedan could be NHL-ready within a couple of years. A D-man taken in the 3rd round of 2016 we wouldn't see until at least 2020, if at all. As you say, it's really just playing the odds. Like taking Vey and Dorsett who are developed and producing (and young) for two picks that may or may not ever play a game in the NHL.

Fantastic pick-up!

Mallet was extraneous and Pedan is a guy I've coveted for awhile. He's a big, nasty piece of business on the backend. Exactly what we need and definitely worth a 3rd in 2016, as Mallet was a throw-in…. cleaning up a contract space.

If his transition helps Tryamkin feel comfortable too then it's a bonus. This kid will destroy people in front of the net and in the corners. We were lacking this type of prospect as an available call-up. He's near NHL ready now.

Benning certainly knows what he's doing. Damn.

I am 100% not as familiar as you are with this pick up and 100% going off the stat sheet on this one, but if he's near NHL ready now, how come he began the season in the ECHL and then was scratched for more than half the games this season once he was back in the AHL? I know they have big name guys like Reinhart and Pulock, but if he's near NHL ready, I would think that this guy would still be holding a roster spot down from day 1.

Again, definitely not as familiar with this player as you are, so maybe you can help me understand.

Damn Bo got fed fists in that one. Wonder what prompted Bo to drop his gloves first against a guy who is clearly bigger, stronger and more experienced in fighting than he is.

Even if Pedan ends up like Andrew Alberts, Canucks will have won this trade. Mallet was supremely disappointing.

Well it would also depend on the 2016 3rd round pick that we gave up.

A 3rd round pick is not that steep really. Considering the odds are that 3rd round pick would likely turn into a similar player, or worse.

He spent 2 games in the ECHL, not sure how that's barely holding an AHL spot.

The guy has 51 PIMs in 6 games this seasons...That's an average of 8.5 penalty minutes per game. This guy is a nasty piece of business, and something the Canucks have lacked in their system.

Yeah that PIM is crazy.

I think Benning knows better than anyone that the draft is a crap shoot.

You can do all your homework, scout these guys for years, and think you've hit a homerun with a pick., but that doesn't guarantee anything. From 18-21 so many things can go wrong in a players development, and there are so many unknown variables.

At least when you're scouting a 21 year old, you know more or less where they are headed in their development, what kind of character they have, and what kind of pro they are likely to become.

Some teams are willing to trade these guys on the gamble that they can make a better pick in the future, but the odds show that likely isn't the case. I like that Benning is not afraid to trade picks for young players that have a more known value.

Mallet was a Gillis waste of a pick for Vancouver (particularly for the 2nd round; Damon Severson picked 3 spots ahead!!! <_<:picard: ) for an overager.

Can't go wrong with defensive depth however the extra 3rd rounder for 2016 is a bit much for a prospect...

If we picked up Methot from Ottawa, we'd have some big d...

Tryamkin

Pedan

Methot

Bieksa

Sbisa (pizza deliverer)

Edler (big not tough)

Stanton

Fantastic pick-up!

Mallet was extraneous and Pedan is a guy I've coveted for awhile. He's a big, nasty piece of business on the backend. Exactly what we need and definitely worth a 3rd in 2016, as Mallet was a throw-in…. cleaning up a contract space.

If his transition helps Tryamkin feel comfortable too then it's a bonus. This kid will destroy people in front of the net and in the corners. We were lacking this type of prospect as an available call-up. He's near NHL ready now.

Benning certainly knows what he's doing. Damn.

As Theminister said, Mallet was a throw in. We add a defensive prospect to our list and This may really help Tryamkin out quite a bit getting comfortable in Canada. Excited to follow this guy with the Comets.

This is the same organization that didn't think Niederreiter was good enough for the NHL.

What they thought of Pedan doesn't necessarily reflect his actual value.

I trust that Benning sees something in him to be willing to trade a 3rd.

Excellent point .. what is not to like besides .. he has the potential to be exactly what we lack ..

No, I never said anything of the sort. I merely asked you if you have traveled to Russia... as you're speaking as though you're some sort of expert in Russian culture.

One thing that I was going to say is that in Russia, making the NHL is NOT the be-all-and-end-all of hockey success. But thanks for putting a bunch of words in my mouth.

The person you quoted asked, "Do you know anything about his character besides the ethnocentric bias?" (Paraphrasing).

That was a question brought against Viking Mama, who questioned Russian players, specifically the Radulov.

Your question, "Ever been to Russia?" seems to indicate that you know more about Russian people than both of the posters. Due to the fact that there's no other context, it could be understood that you're about to slant Russian players.

As Theminister said, Mallet was a throw in. We add a defensive prospect to our list and This may really help Tryamkin out quite a bit getting comfortable in Canada. Excited to follow this guy with the Comets.

I think this is part of the equation for Benning for sure.

I assume that Pedan speaks Russian. That will be important to have a guy like him here when Tryamkin makes his way over. We saw how little English Tryamkin spoke, and that can be hard on a young player trying to adjust.

No idea what to think other than I trust Bennings scouting report. With us being in need of one of our Utica dmen over the long term, they get some added depth. Obviously if Benning felt that giving up a 3rd for him was worth the player depth, then Id have to just sit back and see what theyve got there.

I also think that you can see even in Sbisa that despite some inefficiencies with the puck, that having a physical presence on the back end makes a tremendous difference, especially in this division. This is another move on route to make our d core tougher to play against, while there could be some offensive potential burried in that frame.

We're not giving it away. Giving it away would mean we're getting nothing of value back.

We got a good young prospect, that if developed properly could be a great player for us.

Yes but everyone seems to think every 3rd could turn into a star. But you have to play the percentages. If a 3rd round pick only has a 15% chance of playing 3 seasons in the NHL than why not get a tangible asset with less development time left back. The Vey trade is the same thing. If Mckeown turns into a better player than Vey who cares we fill a need on the pro roster with a nhl ready guy for a pick that may or may not become an NHLer let alone better than Vey. You can't always be afraid to trade picks. You will lose some trades and win some trades you just don't know how a pick will turn out.

Archived