The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen the only Canuck invited to Team Canada's WJC Selection Camp

avelanch

Who exactly was McCann going to displace?

And Subban? Wow, long-shot at best. Just so many better options available.

We should be happy that Jake is in there. He should have a good tourney.

I have not seen one user that doesn't understand why McCann didnt get an invite. Stop putting world's in CDCs mouth.

Subban was a long shot to make the team. However i dont think he was a long shot to have an invite. To me he has done everything to earn an invite.

People are happy that jake has an invite

What exactly are you bitching about?

I have not seen one user that doesn't understand why McCann didnt get an invite. Stop putting world's in CDCs mouth.

Subban was a long shot to make the team. However i dont think he was a long shot to have an invite. To me he has done everything to earn an invite.

People are happy that jake has an invite

What exactly are you bitching about?

Hmmm. The OP just questioned it, so...

If not making a point about it, then perhaps don't insert a WTF. Cheers.

Hmmm. The OP just questioned it, so...

If not making a point about it, then perhaps don't insert a WTF. Cheers.

he was just stating the fact. The "wtf" applies to the subban snub and horvat snub (before he realized that no teen nhler received and invite from canada)

Hicketts has been unreal for the Royals this year. Not surprised he got the invite over Subban. I did think JS would have got invited as well, seeing as there is only 1 RH defenseman on that list, but it would have been very difficult for him to crack the roster.

McCann will get the invite next year if his progression continues.

Should still be an awesome tourney for Canucks fans.

Hicketts has been unreal for the Royals this year. Not surprised he got the invite over Subban. I did think JS would have got invited as well, seeing as there is only 1 RH defenseman on that list, but it would have been very difficult for him to crack the roster.

McCann will get the invite next year if his progression continues.

Should still be an awesome tourney for Canucks fans.

Not gonna lie. I may just root for Cassels. Assuming they are smart and give him a roster spot.

If Canada struggles to score goals on the PP and dmen are not getting point shots through, all hell is going to break loose.

McCann has just had an unlucky season. He didn't deserve to make the team, but at the same time you can't blame him for that.

And like others said, Drouin, Lazar, Duclair, and Ekblad were not named to the selection camp since there is no way any NHL team would loan one of those guys for a training camp. Same goes for Horvat.

Madison Bowey, Josh Morrissey, Darnell Nurse, Shea Theodore, Travis Sanheim.. They'll be fine.

Hickett over subban?

Well Hicketts is leading the CHL in scoring as a defenseman at age 18 so... it's not that outrageous. Would have thought that Subban would have him beat out though due to being right-handed.

Absolute JOKE that Subban didn't at the very least get an invite.

Highest scoring D in the OHL...

WJHC politics continue...

Edit: NO Strome? Marner? But Crouse get's an invite?

Wtf is going on?!

They took an undersized 18-yr-old D who leads all of CHL instead... only room for one dynamic undersized offensive defenseman on the roster, if any - so Hicketts gets the invite.

Yeah that's a bit of a head scratcher - especially Marner because he shoots right, and Team Canada literally has no legit RWs - they had to move Virtanen to the right side and they'll need a few RH centers there as well.

It worked when the Bolland, Matthias, Halischuk, Didominico, Esposito, Della Rovere, Cormier made the team and won gold.

And lost with RNH, Scheifele, Drouin, Mackinnon, Strome, Hamilton, Reilly, Reinhart, on the same team.

These are cycles, there is no magic recipe.

Bolland had 130 points that year so he wasn't a slouch.

That being said, this year's squad is pretty awful. They do not look like a contender at all. Center depth is atrocious - they will need either Horvat or Lazar (or both) released to have a chance.

RW looks empty. Just two names and one of them (Virtanen) is a LW who shoots right.

I think there is a chance Drouin might be released, which would be huge. TBL released Brett Connolly before and right now TBL has enough depth to let Drouin go for a couple weeks.

Cool that Hicketts got an invite he's my girlfriends cousin just met him after the game here in Kamloops Saturday. Good for him I don't suspect he will make it but it would be pretty neat, Subban probably deserves a shot though that's too bad he never was invited maybe he can make them change their minds later on?

who did virt play with at the sss?

First game he played with Reinhart and Klimchuk for the first period.

After that Quenville and Hawyrluk were his linemates.

He seemed to be more effective in a more energetic, fast pace line. reinhart and klimchuk were more into puck posession and patience as the other line liked to force its will upon the russian and in the face.

I am puzzled as to why they took so many LWs.

This team is LHS-heavy, and I mean HEAVY.

Only 5 of the players invited to camp shoot right... Madison Bowey (D), Sam Reinhart ©, Brayden Point ©, Jake Virtanen (listed as RW but plays LW in Calgary I think?), Nick Baptiste.

They have 2 RWs at camp and 2Cs that shoot right - meaning the RWs are locks to make the team and some of the LWs will fill up the rest of the RW spots...

Would have thought they'd give RHS centers a shot to fill that role instead - like our own Jared McCann.

Archived