The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Trade for/Sign a defenceman

I would make a move for Zidlicky.

He's a pending UFA, turning 38, but he's still leading the team D and is 4th on the team overall in points. I highly doubt that the Devils would want to bring him back given their puck-moving young guns (Merrill, Severson, Gelinas, plus Andy Greene's still around), but we don't have anyone of his kind on our back end, who can make the seeing-eye passes and have the ability to crank up a slap shot on the PP.

I have read on the Devils fan site that he is a bit of a defensive liability, where he sometimes stops moving his feet and so got most of his sixty penalty minutes from last year for hooking and physical infractions. However, given how we could really use a strong P.M.D., we could always put him on the 3rd pairing to keep him from getting burned by more quality opposition, since we could really milk his offense on the PP and have him available as a fill-in, top-4 D-man on the right side. If possible we could afford to fit him into the roster at the deadline without even moving a roster player!

I'd want to get him and Helgeson (big, young, physical D-man who would be another Alberts-type for extra size) for a non-1st round pick forward prospect, Stanton and 3rd pick from 2015?

I agree. In fact I think JB has already said pretty much the same thing. Before any move is made the current group will get a longer look and then Corrado will get a shot. Possibly Sanguinetti or Andersson will be brought up from Utica as well.

JB has been clear that he does not want to trade away future assets (prospects and draft picks) for a current band-aid.

I disagree with the OP than any quality Ds will available cheap. And the Canucks do not have much cap room anyway. The can go over the cap with Hamhuis is on LTIR, of course, but there will be a problem when he comes back if they bring in anyone for a significant salary.

JB has quietly acquired Andrey Pedan a big 6'-4, 211 lbs, 63rd o/a draft by NYI which I suspect was a move not just to help out Utica. I think we are now realising JB doesn't make any moves lightly and I suspect he plans to groom the young Lithuanian to play like a bigger version of Bieksa in the team.

"Slowed by an "upper body injury" in his first pro season, Pedan is a tall defenseman who skates well and relishes the physical side of the game. He possesses considerable technical and offensive skills but it is his combativeness that attracted the attention of scouts. Pedan can handle himself when challenged and is positionally sound in his own end."

Kudos to Bo taking Andrey on despite height mismatch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNWcbxFeD2o

Defends his team mate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfqqt_V07kQ

How much of a king's ransom would it take to pry Madison Bowey away from the Caps?

Defenseman, Shoots Right, 19 years old, 6'2", 207lbs, Canadian Boy, Captain of the Rockets for the past 2 years, played for Canada, puts up great points, has an extremely solid +/-...

Not sure, but probably quite a bit. Looking at the Hershey roster and the Capitals last few drafts, my initial reaction is that Bowey is their top prospect on defence and they may be in a similar position to Canucks in having better prospects at forward.

We have a surplus of forwards and now with Hamhuis injured long term, we have a thin blue line. Bieksa is not as good as before and while Sbisa is playing well now, but he's prone to brain farts. At the moment Edler's form is keeping the defence together. As soon as he drops it, we'll start leaking even more goals IMO.

We need to trade for a top four dman asap.

On another thread Nucks Nit analyzed in depth the Canucks cap situation on defence. I'm not presently looking at his post nor spending the time to look through everyone on capgeek, but the Canucks situation is something like:

Bieksa 4.6 million through 2016 and with a ntc

Hamhuis 4.5 million through 2015 and with a ntc

Tanev-FA, due a large raise from his current $2 million

Sbisa-FA, will probably get a raise from his current ~$2.1 million

Edler-$5 million through 2019 with a ntc

Weber-RFA, currently at $850 th

Stanton-RFA, currently at $550 th

Corrado-RFA, currently ~$600 th

Of those only Corrado can be sent to Utica without waivers-and just for this season. Next season it would require waivers to send him down.

It's difficult to see how Canucks can add a defenceman using just forward depth. That is going to leave too many defencemen on the roster-and it would be tricky to do it without running into cap trouble this year or next.

The market could do some strange things next summer. Not only is there a very strong draft, but with the cap probably staying about where it is some teams will be shedding salary and players will be available. With more availability and a smaller cap, salaries for free agents are unlikely to rise and could actually drop. It will be an interesting time, good for those general managers who analyze carefully and great for those teams with cap space-but bad for those teams trying to move players with high salaries because there will be a few other teams that need to dump salary offering decent and sometimes good players. It should be something of a buyers' market for players, with only a few buyers actually in a position to take advantage.

Keith Yandle is on the block and has another year after this year on his deal. Great cap hit at 5million, plays the right side on the PP and can likely play on the right side at even strength. He'd put us over the top IMO, easily a 55+ pt d man on this team. Would cost a lot, but I'd be definitely willing to give up anyone not named Horvat or Virtanen to get him.

I do wonder if Benning expects there to be dman available at the deadline for fair prices. Gives players within the organization a chance to fill the role, if they don't well then give up a mid pick for another Garison. Or even trade some of our forward depth that he was well aware we had going into the season.

I just read that the Coyotes may be going for a fire sale, so I was wondering if they would be wiling to trade Michael Stone, he's a 6'3'', 210lbs, 24 years old, right handed defenseman: http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?6919

Assuming the Coyotes are in fire sale mode, they trade polder more expensive gys.

Stone would be one of the last guys they move.

When the Canucks went into rebuild mode, did they trade guys like Horvat, etc.?

Assuming the Coyotes are in fire sale mode, they trade polder more expensive gys.

Stone would be one of the last guys they move.

When the Canucks went into rebuild mode, did they trade guys like Horvat, etc.?

There is a massive, and I mean absolutely MASSIVE difference in value between Horvat and Stone.

Archived