The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Trade for/Sign a defenceman

My bad, I missed your addendum about changeing it to an A prospect to get a top pairing guy. I'll stand by my arguement that a combination of the rest of the assets you suggested won't bring much of a return. a 4/5 guy at best

You don't think say Matthias, Lack, and say Dane Fox could get us a young-ish physical #4 guy? I do. Or at least something close to it.

I'd wager that in my above "proposal", giving up the "B" prospect gets us a good, defensive, big, mean, physical #4 guy (maybe #3) who can play in our top 4 with Hamhuis out and make a hell of a good 3rd pairing guy when we're healthy (or bump Bieksa to the 3rd pairing).

Change that to an "A" prospect and all of a sudden we have a future 1st pairing/offensive guy coming in. I'd hardly call either lateral.

The first would help immensely with our goals against, the latter our goals for (and lpossibly against as well).

I don't necessarily disagree with you but realistically every team in the league is trying to make that trade. If it's there, sweet try and outbid the other teams that want him.

I just think this team is better off staying the course with the defense we have unless that stud becomes available. Any gaunce +markstrom trade isn't going to make a big enough impact to justify coughing them up + a guy from our already great bottom six

You don't think say Matthias, Lack, and say Dane Fox could get us a young-ish physical #4 guy? I do. Or at least something close to it.

If you found the right team in the right situation? sure. But Mathias is a pending UFA. Lack, at the moment, is nothing more than a decent back-up, and Fox is a boom or bust prospect that's far more likely to be bust than boom. These days you tend to see value for value trades, not quality for quantity

If you found the right team in the right situation? sure. But Mathias is a pending UFA. Lack, at the moment, is nothing more than a decent back-up, and Fox is a boom or bust prospect that's far more likely to be bust than boom. These days you tend to see value for value trades, not quality for quantity

Change Matthias to Hansen then ;) Either player has +'s/-'s (Size, age, contract etc).

Lack will be a starting goalie in the not distant future. Other teams know this.

Yup Fox is a gamble but hardly the main facet of the trade. He'd be a bonus "nice get" if he works out. Though it may very well be one of our lesser D prospects to replace what they're trading away. Depends on the other teams needs.

You see plenty of teams trade away depth/salary for futures like Lack.

Point is we needed an upgrade on D before the Hamhuis injury. Pedan's nice but still a year + away. There's still a hole in our prospect pool of guys ready to push for spots NOW, not in a year or two.

We have pieces elsewhere to fill that hole IMO.

Whether there's anything on the market and at what cost is another question.

How much of a king's ransom would it take to pry Madison Bowey away from the Caps?

Defenseman, Shoots Right, 19 years old, 6'2", 207lbs, Canadian Boy, Captain of the Rockets for the past 2 years, played for Canada, puts up great points, has an extremely solid +/-...

Hockey's Future:

Talent Analysis:

Big-bodied rearguard is an excellent skater. Does not shy away from physical play. Rushes the puck with confidence. Plenty of exposure through international experience with Hockey Canada programs. Shows good leadership abilities as well given his alternate captaincy with Team Canada in 2012-13

Future:
Bowey has been a force for the Kelowna Rockets and he will return to the team for 2013-14 in what should be his final year. Moving forward Bowey has the makings of a good solid top-four defenseman.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=97787

He's still in the WHL, so he wouldn't be able to make a splash now. However, as stated earlier, Benning doesn't want a band-aid approach. Would be a trade for the future. Thoughts on this guy?

If lets say we were to make a deal consisting of, I dunno, Gaunce+Cederholm for Bowey for example. If we wanted Bowey playing in the NHL now, since we just acquired him, can we bring him up and start the first year of his entry level deal? Or because Washington already sent him down, regular rules apply and he's in Kelowna til their playoff run ends?

Change Matthias to Hansen then ;) Either player has +'s/-'s (Size, age, contract etc).

Lack will be a starting goalie in the not distant future. Other teams know this.

Yup Fox is a gamble but hardly the main facet of the trade. He'd be a bonus "nice get" if he works out. Though it may very well be one of our lesser D prospects to replace what they're trading away. Depends on the other teams needs.

You see plenty of teams trade away depth/salary for futures like Lack.

Point is we needed an upgrade on D before the Hamhuis injury. Pedan's nice but still a year + away. There's still a hole in our prospect pool of guys ready to push for spots NOW, not in a year or two.

We have pieces elsewhere to fill that hole IMO.

Whether there's anything on the market and at what cost is another question.

I think the jury is still out on whether or not Lack has what it takes to carry the ball. Regardless, you're right about what Vancouver needs. The problem remains what actually is available to fill that need. I can see Vancouver filling the hole short term with a move along the lines of what Montreal did in getting Gonchar and Allen. They traded away decent NHL players that no longer had a place on their team for older vets with expiring contracts that can contibute now while their young guys (Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn) get a little more seasoning in the minors.

I think in this market, JB needs to be patient. And by this "market" I'm talking about the upcoming loaded draft. Teams like Buffalo, Columbus, Carolina, Florida, etc may be willing to unload top 4 defenseman, for a package of prospects and or picks. I think that will happen closer to the trade deadline however.

We have a surplus of forwards and now with Hamhuis injured long term, we have a thin blue line. Bieksa is not as good as before and while Sbisa is playing well now, but he's prone to brain farts. At the moment Edler's form is keeping the defence together. As soon as he drops it, we'll start leaking even more goals IMO.

We need to trade for a top four dman asap.

Defence wins championships...which may mean Miller has to stand on his head.

The Canucks need a shutdown combo that can play big minutes against the other teams best lines... A shutdown D man that can make the first pass and/or wheel with the puck.

If Canucks can shutdown the top lines, then the forward depth by running 4 lines may be enough to climb that hill and compete for the Holy Grail.

Need to make a good hockey trade to improve the back end...you know there will be more injuries to contend with before this season is over. One more injury to the back end, JB will be backed in a corner, or he will have to rely on and trust the AHL depth.

The standings are tight...a two or three game losing streak could mean finding the team in 8th spot. I believe the Canucks are playing like a playoff team, WD needs to keep running 4 lines and building confidence in his third and fourth lines.

There is definitely a piece missing in our D-core.

Joni Pitkanen is a free agent?? Is he healthy??

Last I heard he couldn't even put his foot in his skate. I had a thread on it but can't find it now.

EDIT: here it is, from the summer (but I've heard he hasn't made any progress as recent as the fall).

Just bumping this one rather than create a new thread:

Doesn't sound good for Pitkanen.

I may be wrong, but don't guys like that have to clear waivers first?

You're not wrong. Then again, if no one else wants him then maybe it'd work - but then would we really want him if no one else does?

But this has been discussed a fair bit.

Yes I base it off of players that carry a significant cap hit for those teams cap relief due to the cap growth now being restricted due to the falling Canadian dollar they need to get relief so trading a defenceman in their 30's with a good size cap hit makes sense.

Such as whom? How many defenceman in their 30's with a high cap hit are realistically available? Have you looked at how much cap room the Canucks have to add this expensive dman? According to capgeek it's 1.4M.

What interests me out of the free agents is that we wouldn't have to give up any assets and could be a cheap option on our cap.

Derek Morris

Had 5 goals and 17 points in 63 games. Only a -2 on a low scoring Coyote team. Shoots right

Ed Jovanovski

Veteran presence, and it would be a nice return for him. Had a measly 5 points in an injury plagued season. Left handed though.

Joni Pitkanen

Big Defenseman (6'3 210lbs), had 9 points in 22 games last season. Been a solid d-man for carolina for years. Could come as a hefty price though. (Made 4.5 million last year). Lefty

Out of the trade options:

We would have to give up some high price contracts to fit our cap, as well as valuable assets in order to obtain some of these.

Tyler Myers

Huge size (6'8), and young (24 years old). Has 6 points to go with a -5 on the year. That coming on a pathetic Sabers team. They are going to be sellers at the deadline but, Myers will come at a very high price. (Cap hit of 5.5 million for 5 years)Righty

Zach Bogosian

Solid defenseman. Great size (6'3 215lbs). Also young at 24 years old. He has 8 assists this season and only a -1. Would be hard to pry him off Winnipeg since they are aiming for a wildcard spot (8th in Western Conference). (Cap hit of 5.1 million for 6 years)Righty

Zbynek Michalek

Good defenseman for Arizona. Has 5 assists in 24 games this season. Since he is 31 years old he might not be that hard to grab. High cap hit though $4 million. Right

Marc Methot

Size wise (6'3 231lbs), he is excellent. Was invited to team Canada olympic camp. On IR right now due to an injured back (23 points in 75 games last year). Low cap hit of 3 million for the type of player he is. Left handed

Adam Larsson

Had promising potential, but now is outshines by rookie Severson. Been scratched multiple times this year, so New Jersey might look to let him go. This could be good because Larsson needs a fresh start. He is 6'3 200lbs and very young still (22 years old). This can be a bad thing too, because NJ will be asking for a lot in exchange. ($900,000 Cap hit) Right

Jay Harrison

Probably the cheapest option in terms of acquiring. Jay is a big defensive defenseman. He is 6'4 220lbs. Has a only 3 points in 16 games this year. Is a bit older at 32 years old, but he can be a solid bottom pair d-man. (1.5 million cap) Left

Karl Alzner

Like everyone else mentioned, he has the size to be effective. At 6'2 and 217lbs he is great on defence. He is also a local boy from Burnaby. Had 18 points last season but has struggled so far this year. Washington might look to dish him out. (2.8 million cap hit) Left handed

Hamhuis, I've read is not having surgery and estimated back mid January.

So what's that, about 20 more games? About 1/2 the games until the TDL.

10 games left in Dec.

12 games in Jan.

37 games left until the TDL (Mar. 2)

I think it's a good window to give the opportunity to others to step up.

An additional factor that may come into play is LTIR. It can only be used when a team exceeds the cap. VAN is currently operating under the cap and projected cap space is $4.5m at the deadline. If Hamhuis is out longer than expected or another player is placed on LTIR, I think a +$ trade may be made so Gilman can work his magic.

What interests me out of the free agents is that we wouldn't have to give up any assets and could be a cheap option on our cap.

Derek Morris

Had 5 goals and 17 points in 63 games. Only a -2 on a low scoring Coyote team. Shoots right

Ed Jovanovski

Veteran presence, and it would be a nice return for him. Had a measly 5 points in an injury plagued season. Left handed though.

Joni Pitkanen

Big Defenseman (6'3 210lbs), had 9 points in 22 games last season. Been a solid d-man for carolina for years. Could come as a hefty price though. (Made 4.5 million last year). Lefty

Out of the trade options:

We would have to give up some high price contracts to fit our cap, as well as valuable assets in order to obtain some of these.

Tyler Myers

Huge size (6'8), and young (24 years old). Has 6 points to go with a -5 on the year. That coming on a pathetic Sabers team. They are going to be sellers at the deadline but, Myers will come at a very high price. (Cap hit of 5.5 million for 5 years)Righty

Zach Bogosian

Solid defenseman. Great size (6'3 215lbs). Also young at 24 years old. He has 8 assists this season and only a -1. Would be hard to pry him off Winnipeg since they are aiming for a wildcard spot (8th in Western Conference). (Cap hit of 5.1 million for 6 years)Righty

Zbynek Michalek

Good defenseman for Arizona. Has 5 assists in 24 games this season. Since he is 31 years old he might not be that hard to grab. High cap hit though $4 million. Right

Marc Methot

Size wise (6'3 231lbs), he is excellent. Was invited to team Canada olympic camp. On IR right now due to an injured back (23 points in 75 games last year). Low cap hit of 3 million for the type of player he is. Left handed

Adam Larsson

Had promising potential, but now is outshines by rookie Severson. Been scratched multiple times this year, so New Jersey might look to let him go. This could be good because Larsson needs a fresh start. He is 6'3 200lbs and very young still (22 years old). This can be a bad thing too, because NJ will be asking for a lot in exchange. ($900,000 Cap hit) Right

Jay Harrison

Probably the cheapest option in terms of acquiring. Jay is a big defensive defenseman. He is 6'4 220lbs. Has a only 3 points in 16 games this year. Is a bit older at 32 years old, but he can be a solid bottom pair d-man. (1.5 million cap) Left

Karl Alzner

Like everyone else mentioned, he has the size to be effective. At 6'2 and 217lbs he is great on defence. He is also a local boy from Burnaby. Had 18 points last season but has struggled so far this year. Washington might look to dish him out. (2.8 million cap hit) Left handed

don't have time right now to go through your list, but Pitkanen's 9 points in 22 games weren't last year, they were in 2012-2013. He's been out with a heel injury ever since and as of June couldn't get his foot in a skate, and as of early August said the injury wasn't coming along well at all and he was nowhere close to returning.

Morris is 36, Jovo 38 and struggled his last couple of years. Would either be an upgrade over what Vancouver has now?

t

don't have time right now to go through your list, but Pitkanen's 9 points in 22 games weren't last year, they were in 2012-2013. He's been out with a heel injury ever since and as of June couldn't get his foot in a skate, and as of early August said the injury wasn't coming along well at all and he was nowhere close to returning.

Morris is 36, Jovo 38 and struggled his last couple of years. Would either be an upgrade over what Vancouver has now?

t

Haha busy guy eh? :P

But yeah sorry, Pitkanen's stats were 2012-2013.

As for upgrades on what we have in my opinion, Jovo is not an upgrade on Weber. Like you stated, he has struggled the last couple years. Morris however, even that he is on the older side, he is an upgrade for sure. Adds size to the back end no doubt. What would be the best case scenario is to offer him to a practice and see where he is at.

Archived