The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Refs not even bothering to hide their anti-Canuck bias anymore

*Buzzsaw*

Looks like the NHL has sent out a message to the league Refs and Linesmen...

"Season Bonus offered... for the most ignored hacks, slashes and dirty play on the Canucks"

Watching Hansen bleeding from the mouth on the bench, a result of a high stick to the face while he had a scoring chance... which was ignored... obvious what is happening.

Canucks are officially on the 'must lose' list handed out to all Refs and Linesmen.

Yeah we didn't get many powerplays against the Cali teams. Have you considered it's because we didn't deserve many? There is a way to get the opposing team to take penalties, and that's by moving your feet. The Canucks haven't been doing that very well as of late.

As for the missed calls, I saw several missed calls that could've gone against the Canucks tonight, and we got away with it. Mistakes are bound to happen.

I to do not think that the officiating in this league is entirely unbiased, but their calls as of late are no example of that.

The refs contribute to us losing games

So does bad ice, illness, travel, home ice, lucky bounces, etc. etc. Bad calls are part of the game and good teams overcome those. The whole anti-Canuck conspiracy nonsense is getting very tired.

So does bad ice, illness, travel, home ice, lucky bounces, etc. etc. Bad calls are part of the game and good teams overcome those. The whole anti-Canuck conspiracy nonsense is getting very tired.

If you ever watch an actual game you will see what we are talking about

No...I know this will surprise you to hear me say this - but you're wrong.

However, there are names to suspect of Anti-Canucks bias. (Devorski, Sutherland, O'Halloran, O'Rourke)

^And - that's because as senior officials,.. their track record of outlandish behaviors & outrageous calls while working games involving VAN has long been established. The young referees are learning & some when paired with the lot I mentioned are swayed along or can do little to counter the bias. I've seen 1st hand their efforts & I applaud that. So - we cant accuse 'em all. But, no doubt in the games that matter at play-off time,...there is pull & sway and influence from the power-mongers. Teams should be given 1 or 2 vetoes with 45 + refs to choose from, at play-off time.

The senior refs also get to bid 1st as to where they work as a hub during the reg. season. So-Cal has been able to benefit in the past from their presence. *Co-incidentally LA 's home-record (14-4-2) vs away-record (5-8-6) is shockingly dis-proportionate. A couple of the standard So-Cal crew worked the game in VAN tonight. But, I don't paint every official in this league with the same brush...& neither should the OP. Read about the politics that these officials have had to deal with over the years. They battle similar issues of traditionalist causes vs progressive ones,... just like the owners, general managers, coaches & players of the NHL do. The most senior officials & the Head of Officiating...still wield power & attempt to bully or control the other roosters making moves within. Some roosters play well with the BOG Chairman & his merry men...others not so much. Guess who's favored at play-off time & for league appointments & advancement when retirement looms....or who's black-balled & forced out.

To say there are NO elements between the NHLOA & NHL that need to be worked-out or fixed regarding the training, implementation & monitoring of officiating thru-out the league......is foolish. Auger-gate exposed issues of 'carry-over justice',...that should NOT be a part of any referee's mandate or culture. Campbell-gate exposed a strong "conflict of intererst" which lead to meddling & the firing of a ref who refused to relent,...& generationally there is "nepotism" to be monitored. Patrick Burke's presense on the DPS remains a head-scratcher. There's also "game management" ploys & the need to address refs who have long since done games in certain buildings & get that homeristic slant. Rotating teams in & out more frequently & taking claims of bias seriously... would be a start, for the league's Head of Officiating.

I also find it very interesting...that the refs I mentioned as dubious or suspect, are the current poster boys on the NHLOA's web-page.

You Shouldn't Rely on The Power Play to Score

This relies too much on the refs making calls, and we all know the whistle pretty much vanishes in the playoffs. This is also part of the persecution complex in Vancouver. The Sedins, being powerplay wizards in their prime, absolutely needed the powerplay to be effective. So when the calls stopped coming, the whining started increasing. And so did the diving.

A team that is built properly shouldn't need the powerplay at all to score. A coach should be able to focus on a 5-on-5 deployment strategy and treat powerplays as a bonus. If that is the case, then his team is close to being ready to win.

Tonight the Canucks weren't getting any calls because they were outplayed. Simple as that. The Kings currently have a well-constructed team.

It's been awful the past 3 games. It's a joke... But it's reality. Canucks vs California teams.

That being said, we should have played better in the past 3 games. Blew a lead to Anaheim and LA. You shouldn't blow 3rd period leads. Not an experienced squad.

Archived