The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Draft Eligible] Matthew Barzal

Odd.

:rolleyes: Come back when you can use grown up words. Hunter doesn't play a north-south game? Is that a joke?

Come back when you have grown up level reading comprehension. When did I say Shinkaruk doesn't play a north south game? I said BARZAL doesn't play a north south game, Mr. Insider.

Last night another goal-free game for him. He hasn't scored one in something like two months. He collected an assist, but when you play 30mins a night that's bound to happen. Just wondering if he forgot how to go to the net altogether or if he's just afraid for the knee now? VERY east-west game from him these days.

If Benning gets back a 2nd rounder we can probably use that to pick him up if we want.

free_falling-72872.gif

I'd be willing to bet he goes in the top 15^

He definitely goes top fifteen. A couple of people in here just don't like playmakers, which is understandable. After watching the Sedins for so long (and decline hard in terms of physical abilities over the past three years) it's hard not to crave for guys that go to the net hard like a Kesler/Matthias/Kassian.

Then again, judging by GDT's half the people on CDC are the type of morons who go to games and yell shoot every time the Canucks enter the zone. Barzal is a special talent, and you don't appreciate what he offers until you watch him control play. People say they prefer goals > assists, but the way I see is those goals don't happen unless you have a guy who can create them on a consistent basis. Barzal is that Zucarello, that St. Louis, that Desharnais who can CONSISTENTLY bring it in the setup department.

None of our forwards have consistency right now and that's what's going to bite us in the ass come the playoffs.

Of course, if we don't draft him and he ends up being a stud people will always find a way to trash him ALA Nylander and Ehlers.

He's currently ranked 18-19. Significant drop from top-3 potential before season began. Slow start, injury, and now perimeter play combined with hardly any goal scoring will do that. So the question is if that is a blip or he has suffered some legit regression. He is still Seattle's best player aside from Theodore and is playing 30 mins a night. But is he still a can't-miss top line center? Not really. Perhaps a decent playmaking center best used on the power play.

Thinking we need a fast-skating 2-way defenseman more than another one of those type of elements. Especially since we acquired Sven.

Sven, Hunter, Jensen, Vey... These guys make picks like Nylander and Ehlers redundant here. They're all basically those guys, but closer.

And at center there's Horvat, McCann and Cassels, along with Gaunce, who may also be an option as a center. Is Barzal a significant upgrade on Horvat or McCann? Not really. And is he going to be suited for bottom-6 duty or defensive play? Not at all.

Considering our need for defense is far greater at the moment, be prepared for Benning to select a defenseman. Both he and Linden heavily hinted toward that.

He's currently ranked 18-19. Significant drop from top-3 potential before season began. Slow start, injury, and now perimeter play combined with hardly any goal scoring will do that. So the question is if that is a blip or he has suffered some legit regression. He is still Seattle's best player aside from Theodore and is playing 30 mins a night. But is he still a can't-miss top line center? Not really. Perhaps a decent playmaking center best used on the power play.

Thinking we need a fast-skating 2-way defenseman more than another one of those type of elements. Especially since we acquired Sven.

Sven, Hunter, Jensen, Vey... These guys make picks like Nylander and Ehlers redundant here. They're all basically those guys, but closer.

And at center there's Horvat, McCann and Cassels, along with Gaunce, who may also be an option as a center. Is Barzal a significant upgrade on Horvat or McCann? Not really. And is he going to be suited for bottom-6 duty or defensive play? Not at all.

Considering our need for defense is far greater at the moment, be prepared for Benning to select a defenseman. Both he and Linden heavily hinted toward that.

He's ranked much higher by the more reputable scouting services such as tsn css and iss, much higher .

Well, closer to cracking an NHL roster maybe. Only Baertschi could hold a candle to their skill levels though. Lets not go around pretending Jensen could trade blow for blow talent wise with Nylander or Ehlers. That's desicanuck level stupid.

The fact that Barzal isnt scoring is a concern. 1 goal in 19 games in horrible and even a fourth liner can score more than that. That being said he does has 28 assist in 19 games and over half are primary assists but, the lack of scoring is a concerning for a player who is suppose to be a top 15 pick.

Well, closer to cracking an NHL roster maybe. Only Baertschi could hold a candle to their skill levels though. Lets not go around pretending Jensen could trade blow for blow talent wise with Nylander or Ehlers. That's desicanuck level stupid.

Jensen's big shot last season though...

He's ranked much higher by the more reputable scouting services such as tsn css and iss, much higher .

As usual, a player like this who dramatically falls will be labelled a steal. Whether he's actually a steal though is fairly doubtful. A lot of the time players fall for a reason. Just ask Hunter Shinkaruk and Jordan Schroeder.

A couple other players who have seen their stock fall are Kylington and Zacha. imho passing on either to select Barzal would be utterly insane. Should be an interesting draft.

I remember me being so hyped up about Barzal.

I've been watching him still. And to be honest, I'm not as hyped as I was. I thought he had 1st line center capability. He does, but the chances are Cody Hodgson slim now. Very concerning when he has 1 goal in his last 20 games. That's a shocker for someone that's supposed to go top 15 and was regarded as a top 10 pick earlier in the season.

Has the injury toll hit him? I mean Barzal would probably be the BPA when we pick if he's still there, but I'll have to agree on BanTSN, a defenseman such as Jeremy Roy/Rasmus Andersson would ideally be the best choice considering the fact that no one we have is capable of becoming a franchise defenseman.

He definitely goes top fifteen. A couple of people in here just don't like playmakers, which is understandable. After watching the Sedins for so long (and decline hard in terms of physical abilities over the past three years) it's hard not to crave for guys that go to the net hard like a Kesler/Matthias/Kassian.

Then again, judging by GDT's half the people on CDC are the type of morons who go to games and yell shoot every time the Canucks enter the zone. Barzal is a special talent, and you don't appreciate what he offers until you watch him control play. People say they prefer goals > assists, but the way I see is those goals don't happen unless you have a guy who can create them on a consistent basis. Barzal is that Zucarello, that St. Louis, that Desharnais who can CONSISTENTLY bring it in the setup department.

None of our forwards have consistency right now and that's what's going to bite us in the ass come the playoffs.

Of course, if we don't draft him and he ends up being a stud people will always find a way to trash him ALA Nylander and Ehlers.

You want to waste a 2015 1st on a Desharnais.

Archived