The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Draft Eligible] Matthew Barzal

Odd.

Barzal is massively overrated on this board because he is from the lower mainland and had a good rookie season. I can see him being a solid skill based #2C but I don't see him as a better choice or a sure bet to be a #1 like Strome, Marner, Zacha, Merkley or Harkins. Konecny had a monster rookie season but look at him now. He's considered a fringe 1st rounder and Barzal is falling in the rankings like that too and I highly doubt he is a top 10 pick. He reminds me more of Nick Schmaltz from last year's draft. Barzal also doesn't fit into the meat and potatoes style we are building towards.

Didn't even have that good a start before that injury.

Franchise center? Nah.

if we get barzal this season will be a success. if we get another top 20 pick then benning can pat himself on the back. barzal will bring a lot of excitement to the team; local kid with unlimited offensive potential; he will be a piece of the puzzle we don't yet have in any of our prospects. here's hop'n

He'll go top-10 no question about it, so hopefully we can trade up to the top-10 for him or Strome/Roy etc. There are a tonne of good centers in this upcoming draft that teams can really build Cup-contenders around, and we sorely need a center to anchor our future. If we leave our wingers in tact and don't move Horvat, this future top-6 is starting to look deadly.

That being said say we have the 20th overall pick, I'd happily trade up by throwing a team (eg. NJD who need young scorers) our 20th overall pick + Shinkaruk for their say 8th overall pick.

Assuming Strome is gone (along with the other given top-5s), draft Barzal. Lineup in 3 years time:

Jensen - Barzal - Virtanen

Vey - Horvat - Kassian

Sedin - Sedin - Matthias

Bonino - Gaunce - UFA

He'll go top-10 no question about it, so hopefully we can trade up to the top-10 for him or Strome/Roy etc. There are a tonne of good centers in this upcoming draft that teams can really build Cup-contenders around, and we sorely need a center to anchor our future. If we leave our wingers in tact and don't move Horvat, this future top-6 is starting to look deadly.

That being said say we have the 20th overall pick, I'd happily trade up by throwing a team (eg. NJD who need young scorers) our 20th overall pick + Shinkaruk for their say 8th overall pick.

Assuming Strome is gone (along with the other given top-5s), draft Barzal. Lineup in 3 years time:

Jensen - Barzal - Virtanen

Vey - Horvat - Kassian

Sedin - Sedin - Matthias

Bonino - Gaunce - UFA

Well it really depends what they are asking for.

Anyways, Barzal could drop out of the top 10 because of him being injured and that he's not exactly "ripping it up". But that's because his team Seattle Thunderbirds are pretty much a horrible team. I could see him go somewhere around the 10th pick to the 15th pick.

Other than that, he is truly someone to go after around that area of the 1st round. If we can somehow get another 2 first round picks, we could pick up a stud d-man AND if possible a 1st line center. We don't need anymore two-way decent 2nd liners. We need 1st liners that can anchor our future team. And call me crazy, but I think Barzal has that potential and the toolbox to have that in him. It's just my gut-feeling.

Well it really depends what they are asking for.

Anyways, Barzal could drop out of the top 10 because of him being injured and that he's not exactly "ripping it up". But that's because his team Seattle Thunderbirds are pretty much a horrible team. I could see him go somewhere around the 10th pick to the 15th pick.

Other than that, he is truly someone to go after around that area of the 1st round. If we can somehow get another 2 first round picks, we could pick up a stud d-man AND if possible a 1st line center. We don't need anymore two-way decent 2nd liners. We need 1st liners that can anchor our future team. And call me crazy, but I think Barzal has that potential and the toolbox to have that in him. It's just my gut-feeling.

What's impressive to me is that Barzal managed to get his points without Theodore. Yes, that's an already offensively-challenged Seattle squad without Shea Theodore. As soon as Barzal got hurt, Theodore returned from his own injury so they have yet to play together this year. With Theodore back healthy, expect Barzal's numbers to continue to improve when he returns. Barzal will, in my eyes, not last till 15. As of now, I think it will be 11-12 at the latest.

Would rather get a #1 centre than a d-man. You can find stud d-man in the 2nd round. Benning has the scouting ability to find them!

There are diamond in the rough D men in the 2knd round all the time. But 2knd rounders are aprox an 20% chance of making the show.

Essentially you have to be taking a defenseman virtually every year; and poof a great one surfaces? And of course Gillis traded our 2knd how many times... Then drafted frackin Mallet.

Similarly there have been good D men considered in the top round, whom guys leave on the table because D men ''are always available in the 2knd round." Maddison Bowey out of Kelowna would have been a great pick earlier than 53rd overall.

At the end of the day it's both about scouting and having an overall plan. That plan needs to include grabbing good D that you have scouted as ideal when your name is called at the table.

Its a lot easier to find stud D-men in the later rounds than it is first line centres.

Stud D men sure.

Who they are is a bigger crap shoot. Chara could barely walk in his skates when he was drafted. Weber had only 4 or 5 goals in junior prior to his draft year. A few obvious ones need to be grabbed when they are available. I do not think Winnipeg regrets drafting Trouba or Josh Morrisey? ^^ Lots of teams regret not having taken guys like Bowey or Damon Severson who were not anywhere near as risky a selection Zdeno or Shea.

Hell, everyone with a brain was seething when we picked Mallet over Severson or Pelech.

But hey? There have been Norris D men like hall of famer Nick Lidstrom picked in the 3rd round! We'll just get one in the next round. Right?

:unsure:

And Jensen. And didn't Hodgson and Shinkaruk fall as well?

I don't know what the general consensus was, but the TSN list had Saad and Grimaldi before Jensen. The 3 players behind Jensen were Rattie, Jenner, Jurco, and Rakell which is pretty interesting. That 2011 may not be the most talented draft year but it had depth.

No more BPA. Positional needs please and that has to start with D.

Benning has said numerous times that he will go with BPA and I do not see why he should not. You go with the best player you think there is.

I do agree that however we need solid, 1st round d-man. Our last one was Luc Bourdon sadly with the tragic loss.

Benning has said numerous times that he will go with BPA and I do not see why he should not. You go with the best player you think there is.

I do agree that however we need solid, 1st round d-man. Our last one was Luc Bourdon sadly with the tragic loss.

As of right now, the line between 1st round and 2nd round is not clearcut for a number of defenseman. With an early 2nd round pick Listening, Benning? you could theoretically get a 1st round calibre defenseman outside of the 1st round. It's a testament to the depth of this year's draft.

Archived