The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrey Pedan showing his value

Bissurnette

Just play the game & improve your honest skills, young man. Fighting, just because the other teams's toughest guy challenges you...only appeases the Neanderthals on-the-ice, and in the stands. Harness the beast within,..and pick your moments. Dont get a rep that will haunt you or make you or any of the future or newer young members of your imediate family, unhappy.

All my best wishes to Andrey, for a promising career in the AHL,...and beyond.

What will happen if/when Pedan makes the NHL is that the few remaining goons in the league will challenge him, and he will have to stand up to it. You have to answer the bell, just like Corrado (tried to do). But I'll tell you one thing -- if/when Tinordi makes it, do you think he's going to go running the Sedins/Shinkaruk/Vey if Pedan is around? You think he's coming back for a rematch any time soon?

The "rep" Pedan will get is that of someone you stay away from unless you want to get clocked. After watching his highlights, it was clearly only a matter of time before one of those thunderous rights knocked someone out -- and Tinordi is no little man. If you were your team's tough guy, would you pick a fight with him just to "set the tone"? Pedan will find himself with a pleasant amount of room on the ice, much like Probert did, which will aid him in having time to use his skill to make plays and good decisions.

Canucks' prospect Anton Cederholm is also a stay-at-home defense-man of similar age in the WHL,..and he can also put-'em-up to defend his teammates,...but he is both measured & disciplined about it...

I just want Andrey to make sure he is getting & embracing the more progressive messages that VAN & Utica teaches & preaches & not the "traditional' or "old-school' mantras of yester-year. The NHLPA, their representation, lawyers & some of the more progressive owners & GMs are desperately trying to weed a lot more of the dangerously violent & disrespectful elements outta hockey these days...so - they shouldn't be worth the time acquiring or cultivating, that much, any more.

Cederholm also has much less offensive upside. Do you really think Benning picked up a goon and has told Green to get him ready to run amok in the NHL? The kid has skill, and they're going to take their time in developing what he needs to get to the bigs. Clearly they felt he was worth the third, in getting a player who at 21 they believe has the ability to get there.

What will happen if/when Pedan makes the NHL is that the few remaining goons in the league will challenge him, and he will have to stand up to it. You have to answer the bell, just like Corrado (tried to do). But I'll tell you one thing -- if/when Tinordi makes it, do you think he's going to go running the Sedins/Shinkaruk/Vey if Pedan is around? You think he's coming back for a rematch any time soon?

The "rep" Pedan will get is that of someone you stay away from unless you want to get clocked. After watching his highlights, it was clearly only a matter of time before one of those thunderous rights knocked someone out -- and Tinordi is no little man. If you were your team's tough guy, would you pick a fight with him just to "set the tone"? Pedan will find himself with a pleasant amount of room on the ice, much like Probert did, which will aid him in having time to use his skill to make plays and good decisions.

Cederholm also has much less offensive upside. Do you really think Benning picked up a goon and has told Green to get him ready to run amok in the NHL? The kid has skill, and they're going to take their time in developing what he needs to get to the bigs. Clearly they felt he was worth the third, in getting a player who at 21 they believe has the ability to get there.

But he doesn't have to fight him if doesn't want to. No way that old fight stops and NHL player from hitting the Sedins, that's ridiculous.

But he doesn't have to fight him if doesn't want to. No way that old fight stops and NHL player from hitting the Sedins, that's ridiculous.

plus, as juice famously said, If a 6-foot-8 guy who can’t skate asks to fight, you say no, then skate around him and score a goal.

plus, as juice famously said, If a 6-foot-8 guy who cant skate asks to fight, you say no, then skate around him and score a goal.

but juice said that about a John Scott who skates like he's in sand not Pedan they actually has some solid slaying ability.

Just gotta develop this kid and hope he's a solid 5-6 crease clearing monster

but juice said that about a John Scott who skates like he's in sand not Pedan they actually has some solid slaying ability.

Just gotta develop this kid and hope he's a solid 5-6 crease clearing monster

pedan, in this scenario, is the one skating away from the goons in this league...

or did i read that wrong...

I hope he makes it, JB must have seen a little Chara in him.

We need a bigger defense. Look at the L.A. defense. Huge mother frackers.

agree, this group right now are small and no grit.. look at the last 10 games, they are getting pounded left and right..

Utica poster on HFBoards: Apparently, huge signs of improvement in the last two weeks. (Weirdly.. it's been a trend with our prospects recently - Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Kenins)

"Giving up a 3rd for Pedan (sp?) seems a bit suspect. While not a rental, I'm not sure the rationale behind the trade."

This quote comes form LiquidSnake late on the Caroilina GDT. Before I posted this response they closed the thread so I moved it to the Pedan thread.

I can give you the rationale. Benning and or a scout or 2 or a little bird or even possibly when still in Boston saw this kid and did some deeper snooping. They saw something here that may blossom into one of those finds we see one or two of every season. He was currently hidden in a logjam of deep Islanders D-prospects and was also recovering from an injury which lowered him on the depth charts.

Guys this tall, don't keep listening to the word BIG, with his trim, but fit physique, don't normally skate like this kid. Guys of any size don't normally bump with his kind of strength and very few actually land a hit of his quality ever. His shot, while a little erratic (he has reeled it in very well in the few weeks he's been here), is rare amongst any players. His passing is sharp and hard. He threads a stretch pass tape to tape from one end to the other as well as I've seen done. His puck skills and ice positioning is need of improvement. His hockey IQ is actually increasing game to game. I think this kid is smart and therefore learns quickly. Proof? He does not commonly repeat the same mistakes.

He was a 6/7 D-man a couple weeks ago. Now I'm not sure where to put him. He has been in the top 2/4 lately and has started the last 2 games. With Green, putting a number on his lines or D pairings is difficult because he shifts them all over without discrimination. Saying this, he also pairs up a younger/less experienced guy with a veteran/better guy in all of his D pairings. So Pedan is with Biega, Sanguinetti/Andersson or Lafranchise, and Huskins/Ehrhardt. He then pairs these groups randomly with the forward lines.

I can tell you this. Any third round D-man you select in the draft will be nowhere near the development of Pedan by next October. In a year (or more or less) from now Pedan just may shock the shorts off of a doubting Thomas fan base that lives in the past regarding taking a shot on a promising player for a mid round draft pick and a slug like Mallet. You want to clump Benning with past GMs. It's way to early to bring the jury in on this guy, Benning or Pedan depending on who you think I'm talking about.

Utica poster on HFBoards: Apparently, huge signs of improvement in the last two weeks. (Weirdly.. it's been a trend with our prospects recently - Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Kenins):

"I can tell you this. Any third round D-man you select in the draft will be nowhere near the development of Pedan by next October. In a year (or more or less) from now Pedan just may shock the shorts off of a doubting Thomas fan base that lives in the past regarding taking a shot on a promising player for a mid round draft pick and a slug like Mallet. You want to clump Benning with past GMs. It's way to early to bring the jury in on this guy, Benning or Pedan depending on who you think I'm talking about."

This is the part that I am in agreement with. Our D corps is a shadow of what it needs to be and Benning knows you can't find top 4 worthy D without overpaying in the free agent / trade market . Why not take a chance with a 3rd rounder ?

Good find, thanks Tom. But shouldn't we get this merged with the Pedan Prospect thread?

I can tell you this. Any third round D-man you select in the draft will be nowhere near the development of Pedan by next October. In a year (or more or less) from now Pedan just may shock the shorts off of a doubting Thomas fan base that lives in the past regarding taking a shot on a promising player for a mid round draft pick and a slug like Mallet. You want to clump Benning with past GMs. It's way to early to bring the jury in on this guy, Benning or Pedan depending on who you think I'm talking about.

Indeed, but trinket and magic bean lovers will always be around. There's just something about the draw of mystery and lotto tickets over real tangibles that appeals to people.

Pedan needs to learn from Dorsett on how to be a classy fighter, he should've slowed his fall to the ice instead of just letting him drop.

Good fight but I hope he learns his way as that's the only way he'll be respected in the league

Pedan needs to save KO's like that for the likes of Ratface. Make sure his head hits the ice first with full force, then pummel him some more.

glad to hear him turning it around and improving

Have you watched him much since he's come over? You seem pretty hopeless on him and yet the Utica folks think he's showed some real promise. I'm just wondering how come you think he's so much of a plug.

Archived