The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrey Pedan showing his value

Bissurnette

All these amateur scouts on here... makes me laugh....haha

Makes me laugh too. It's like they think Jim Benning gave up a 3rd round pick for a goon.

I'm a season ticket holder for the comets, so I see him close up. Yes, he may be a little raw in his own end, but he has tremendous reach, and I've seen him make a number of breakout passes that sprung forwards for breakaways. These were beautiful passes up the middle and hit the players in stride.

He reminds me of Kasperitus in the fact that he will always deliver a hit and isn't afraid to take a hit.

Woo! Call him up NOW! None of our current Dmen nor Sesito or Kassian can punch that good.

But hopefully Tinordi wasn't hurt as bad as it seemed.

EDIT: and also because he's known as the Defensive Datsyuk! This guy is a gem.

So, first and foremost, I agree 100%. I wish he didn't drop the gloves ever. Let's all be honest here though, do you really think he is the one trying to make a career out of being a goon?

I just want everyone to remember this kid was the 4th top defensive point man in the OHL, he had 10 points in 28 games in his rookie season before suffering a season ending injury. He is not a goon.

In the entire organization, is there another 21 year old defence man that brings any of the attributes to the table? Admittedly, his weak point right now is his decision making with the puck when under pressure...something confidence and familiarity with his teammates will overcome. But this kid can skate, has a rocket of a shot, can take the body in front and behind the net, and has a stay home defensive mentality.

Are you serious? He drops the gloves with someone whos been egging him on and he knocks him out so hes considered a goon? :picard:

Some peoples kids.

I'm gonna hold out judgment on Pedan for a while. I have only watched him in 2 games. He skates well for a big man has a great shot, puck skills and decision making can be taught. The big question will be can he be taught. I believe Benning thinks he can or he wouldn't have coughed up a 3rd for him.

+1. This

Cometsfan thanks for you insight. Its good to hear a Utica Season ticket holder give some insight on this player vs. the highlight/statline watching CDC sheep...(thats not to all out there, but those I'm referring to know who you are...)

I remember Benning talking about Pedan's upbringing and the sacrifices he made at a young age in order to play hockey. I can't help but think JB believes a lot in this kids character and work ethic. JB doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would just make a trade for a player because he has the tools, but no tool box....he'd make that move because he believes in the players work ethic to build that tool box.

Benning said himself it would be a couple seasons before we even got a sniff of this kid on the big club. So, in the meantime, let's just enjoy the fact that we finally have some serious size and nastiness coupled with potential in our D corps for the future. No organization can ever have enough of this.

Last thing of note, I can't help but think that as much as the Pedan move was about acquiring a very intriguing young D prospect, it was also looking ahead to help ease the transition for another very large, smooth skating D prospect we have coming over from Russia (sooner than later in my estimation with the ruble collapsing...). Just food for thought.

As for Pedan, I do love the sandpaper he brings to the rink with him. If he can bring the boom and maintain solid defensive stats, I can't wait to see this kid in the future. He'll be precisely what we need to keep other teams honest. He and Tryamkin could, literally, be the two biggest additions to our blue line moving forward.

his best quality isn't his toughness, its his cannon of a shot. Just imagine being the opposition player tasked with being the net presence when pedan and tryamkin are clearing the crease, no thanks, lol

give him some time to adjust to the new systems and that will in turn help tryamkin out when he eventually gets here, there is a long term plan happening here folks and it's awesome

it's a process

Are you serious? He drops the gloves with someone whos been egging him on and he knocks him out so hes considered a goon? :picard:

Some peoples kids.

He'sactually saying he isn't a goon. you should read the whole thing before making a rude comment, but actually making yourself look like the one one who deserves a face palm. Ironys such a beach

he's a turnover machine with hands of stone and can't play properly. if we still had a pylon line i might have suggested he be converted into a forward for that purpose, but it's clear we no longer follow that methodology, so he will never make the big club. especially as a d-man.

if he were to work on his actual hockey skills he might stand a chance, but as of right now, he's a liability whenever he's on the ice in the AHL, he'd be eaten alive in the NHL.

No kidding! But he knocked someone out...

:lol:

I'm surprised so many of us have decided to write him off already. This was a fast turn around even by CDC standards.

Also, when did a third round pick in the 2016 draft become such an important asset? I think the value returned is fine, we need defensive prospects playing pro and developing now, it's worth moving futures for the prospect pool boost right now.

Makes me laugh too. It's like they think Jim Benning gave up a 3rd round pick for a goon.

I'm a season ticket holder for the comets, so I see him close up. Yes, he may be a little raw in his own end, but he has tremendous reach, and I've seen him make a number of breakout passes that sprung forwards for breakaways. These were beautiful passes up the middle and hit the players in stride.

He reminds me of Kasperitus in the fact that he will always deliver a hit and isn't afraid to take a hit.

Interesting. Thanks.

Thats good to hear.

That would be a very welcome addition

Some peoples kids.

As as Canucks fan I hope he's the second coming of Bobby Orr, and I've heard he's got some ability, but so far all I've seen is fight clips so I comment on what I see

As as Canucks fan I hope he's the second coming of Bobby Orr, and I've heard he's got some ability, but so far all I've seen is fight clips so I comment on what I see

Don't get your hopes up. A player like Bobby will never play in the NHL again.

Archived