The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrey Pedan showing his value

Bissurnette

nice clip but i still dont understand why we traded a 3rd for this guy. he is not actually good at hockey and if we wanted a fist puncher we have sestito and could've picked up mcgrattan

What your factual proof that he isn't "good at hockey" would be?

Take a look at his OHL stats for starters...

Corrado and Hutton both fulfill those criterion and then some as they also don't need to work on their decision making. I hope Pedan does improve, since it would suck to throw away a 3rd round pick for someone who doesn't pan out, but things are not as great as you make them seem.

I have no idea who Hutton is, so I will take your word. As for Corrado, I say it is debatable, but only time will tell. All I am saying is that to dismiss Andrei as a kid who is a goon who cannot play the game is insane. Watch him skate, notice how he is able to deliver shots on goal from the point....this kid is a legitimate NHL prospect.

So, first and foremost, I agree 100%. I wish he didn't drop the gloves ever. Let's all be honest here though, do you really think he is the one trying to make a career out of being a goon?

I just want everyone to remember this kid was the 4th top defensive point man in the OHL, he had 10 points in 28 games in his rookie season before suffering a season ending injury. He is not a goon.

In the entire organization, is there another 21 year old defence man that brings any of the attributes to the table? Admittedly, his weak point right now is his decision making with the puck when under pressure...something confidence and familiarity with his teammates will overcome. But this kid can skate, has a rocket of a shot, can take the body in front and behind the net, and has a stay home defensive mentality.

Corrado and Hutton both fulfill those criterion and then some as they also don't need to work on their decision making. I hope Pedan does improve, since it would suck to throw away a 3rd round pick for someone who doesn't pan out, but things are not as great as you make them seem.

Canucks' prospect Anton Cederholm is also a stay-at-home defense-man of similar age in the WHL,..and he can also put-'em-up to defend his teammates,...but he is both measured & disciplined about it.

Goonish behavior now-a-days,,..smacks of some desperation to appease others who still laud that kind of thing,.. instead of confidence in one's skills & play-making abilities. I would encourage him not to fall into the same trap some of the other teams' tougher-guys have fallen into. Be honest & true to self.

I'm a Lidstrom & Edler fan,...not some Duncan Keith worshipper. Meaness can come from character or be cultivated thru acquired habits, appeasement & expectations. I hope this kid has a respectful disposition that won't be burdening him with much more than the appropriate push-back or snarl, that's required. For all of the do-gooding & role-modelling that the Canucks organization does in our community,..it would be a shame for our NHL players to be sending all of these young hockey-playing kids & hockey-fans,..mixed messages,...like the NHL seems to frequently dole-out. The "Mark Messier " Leadership Award has to be one of the most farcial, yet. (Messier's very famous & star-lynching elbows had very little to do with positive role-modelling on the ice,..and in VAN he generally avoided community service with the "little people' like the plague,... & spent more time out of our fair city - than in it.) A modern-day award for leadership & community service was a fine idea..but Messier wouldn't even survive the vetting-process for the award named after himself! Now - Yzerman, Sakic & Linden, or Lidstrom,...these were & are far better & more proper role-models for youth in hockey, these days... or for NHLers of this generation, in my estimation.

I just want Andrey to make sure he is getting & embracing the more progressive messages that VAN & Utica teaches & preaches & not the "traditional' or "old-school' mantras of yester-year. The NHLPA, their representation, lawyers & some of the more progressive owners & GMs are desperately trying to weed a lot more of the dangerously violent & disrespectful elements outta hockey these days...so - they shouldn't be worth the time acquiring or cultivating, that much, any more.

he's a turnover machine with hands of stone and can't play properly. if we still had a pylon line i might have suggested he be converted into a forward for that purpose, but it's clear we no longer follow that methodology, so he will never make the big club. especially as a d-man.

if he were to work on his actual hockey skills he might stand a chance, but as of right now, he's a liability whenever he's on the ice in the AHL, he'd be eaten alive in the NHL.

As a rule of thumb it takes a Dman 8 years from his draft year to develop into his full potential.

Did you realize your full potential at 21?

Long long way from a write off.

Watch him play and then talk to me instead of hearing 2nd hand from Utica "fans". Kid is 21 and a plus 4 this season. This kid just needs to get a little more comfortable with the team and I will be he will be a fan favourite.

As for how well I know him, only his real friends know him by the Russian spelling Andrei, not the spelling he adapted when he came to Canada "Andrey".

He's Lithuanian, champ :bigblush:

Well, keep watching. He is young, new to the team and city, finding his way as a hockey player and as an adult. This is one tough kid mentally, and to right a 21 year old prospect off as a liability (when no stage of his career supports that statistically), is short sighted.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "cannot play properly"?

Yes it's amazing how Kass is 24 (this month) and for as long as I remember his age was an excuse for every failing under the sun and yet it seems people are queueing up to dump on Pedan despite his age.

The very fact Jim Benning has thought this young guy fits in with Utica's model which is supposed to mirror Vancouver's is all I need to know.

Corrado got rag dolled by Pedan's opponent and the fact that Pedan made short work of him is a good asset to have when his overall game starts to improve enough to get a shot with the big boys.

Don't get me wrong I'm not for him coming up to punch everyone's lights out just to have someone who can deter the bullies and make them think twice before cheap shooting our players.

First and foremost, I hope Tinnordi is OK. While a lot of hockey fans enjoy the main events in our beloved sport, no one wants to see serious injury as a result of it.

As for Pedan, I do love the sandpaper he brings to the rink with him. If he can bring the boom and maintain solid defensive stats, I can't wait to see this kid in the future. He'll be precisely what we need to keep other teams honest. He and Tryamkin could, literally, be the two biggest additions to our blue line moving forward.

Give the guy a couple more seasons in the minors. We have no reason to rush this guy. He can work on his breakouts and shooting, maybe try to get a couple goals under his belt. But leave it to CDC to count out a 21 year old.

Pedan needs to learn from Dorsett on how to be a classy fighter, he should've slowed his fall to the ice instead of just letting him drop.

Good fight but I hope he learns his way as that's the only way he'll be respected in the league

I'm not gonna lie and pretend I don't like what this guy can do with his fists: he is a serious deterrant. But of course he needs to become a competant D before any of that matters. The shot and skating already seem to be there, so it comes down to puck-handling and decision-making. Hopefully he develops those over the next couple of years and we have a bottom-pairing defenseman for the big club, someone who can push the likes of Stanton and Sbisa.

i think we all were. it sucks that all we got was a fighter that's a liability.

This is based on your vast scouting and hockey knowledge? You've watched a bunch of Comets hockey? Or are we reading some stats and assuming we know exactly how he plays????

I'll go with Benning's judgement instead of yours if that's alright.

This is based on your vast scouting and hockey knowledge? You've watched a bunch of Comets hockey? Or are we reading some stats and assuming we know exactly how he plays????

I'll go with Benning's judgement instead of yours if that's alright.

Me too .. kid's got a nice right hand .. Lucic 'eats rights' .. :)

Archived