The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2015 Canucks Draft Talk

Horvat

Cox's draft isn't terrible. He based it on team need, and general drafting style.. ie. red wings taking a euro.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/damien-coxs-2015-nhl-mock-draft-top-10/

Zboril at 23 would make a lot of people happy.

I chuckle a bit when every mock draft does, "A the Red Wings draft from Europe, because that is what they do...". In fact, the Red Wings have only taken a European in the first round twice in the past 15 year. Now they are missing seven picks in there, but they have taken a lot of North American players early on.

If we pass over defense to select another forward in this draft, there will be laughter.

Why?

We have Corrado and Clendenning ready to play in the NHL, so they do have some young blueliners.

You always go BPA because by the time the player is ready who knows what the team looks like. Say Say Hutton and Suban take huge steps forward in the next few years and there are suddenly 3 or 4 guys NHL ready ahead of the guy we take at 23.

Along with guys being of the D you just drafted, Horvat flattens out, Shinkaruk stuggles and Virtanen's shoulder is bugging him again...now why didn't Vancouver take that forward that was a better player again?

You always take the best player because by the time they are ready to contribute your team can look a lot different then it does now.

This year's second and third round are going to be goldmines for stud CHL defence prospects. If this team is targeting a position -- personally, I'm a BPA guy -- over one specific player, it goes without saying that they are much better served moving back and picking up an extra pick.

It's not fair to say one specific trade is the standard but, at last year's draft, TB did get the 35th and 57th pick from the Islanders in exchange for their 28th overall pick. The value of the 35th and 57th will be higher in this year's draft due to a deeper pool of talent, but all it takes is for one team to want a kid just enough.

In my opinion, getting a Meloche/Andersson/Juulsen at 35 and Schemitsch -- who seems a tad underrated in the rankings -- at 57 would be a better haul than just a Chabot or a Zboril.

All the better if Benning manages to get more 2nd/3rd round picks.

Why?

We have Corrado and Clendenning ready to play in the NHL, so they do have some young blueliners.

You always go BPA because by the time the player is ready who knows what the team looks like. Say Say Hutton and Suban take huge steps forward in the next few years and there are suddenly 3 or 4 guys NHL ready ahead of the guy we take at 23.

Along with guys being of the D you just drafted, Horvat flattens out, Shinkaruk stuggles and Virtanen's shoulder is bugging him again...now why didn't Vancouver take that forward that was a better player again?

You always take the best player because by the time they are ready to contribute your team can look a lot different then it does now.

Because Corrado and Clendenning are 'ready' to play in the NHL. The cupboard is bare.

Because Corrado and Clendenning are 'ready' to play in the NHL. The cupboard is bare.

I wouldn't call it bare. they have some guys that should be 4/5/6 type guys in the system.

Does Vancouver need more defenceman? Yes, and it should be a focus this draft. I'm all for take them with the rest of the picks.

Should they draft one just to draft one over a guy that is a better player? Hell no.

Philly Could have used a D back when they took Giroux...should they have drafted one then?

Maybe they should have went with Chriss Summers, Ivan Vishnevskiy, or Yuri Alexandrov who were all ranked about the same as Giroux.

Our prospect pool is as good as it has been in a long, long time, but I also think we're not in a position to be able to afford passing on the best player(s) available, even if "drafting-for-need" is a draft philosophy that you believe in. Our defence needs the most work, relatively speaking, but overall we're still average, at best, and could use help everywhere.

What are the chances that our forwards will become regular NHLers? Then, what are the chances that they become effective top-6 NHL players? It's not as good as some around here may think. We've got solid forward prospects but right now they're all projected to be good middle-6 and bottom-6 guys.

My point, re-iterated, is that we need lottery tickets at all positions. For the Vancouver Canucks, in particular, to pass on the best player(s) available just because of "need" isn't as good an idea as it may seem.

I wouldn't call it bare. they have some guys that should be 4/5/6 type guys in the system.

Does Vancouver need more defenceman? Yes, and it should be a focus this draft. I'm all for take them with the rest of the picks.

Should they draft one just to draft one over a guy that is a better player? Hell no.

Philly Could have used a D back when they took Giroux...should they have drafted one then?

Maybe they should have went with Chriss Summers, Ivan Vishnevskiy, or Yuri Alexandrov who were all ranked about the same as Giroux.

Great point.

That should shut down every one that wants a defencman no matter what at 23.

But it won't.

Our prospect pool is as good as it has been in a long, long time, but I also think we're not in a position to be able to afford passing on the best player(s) available, even if "drafting-for-need" is a draft philosophy that you believe in. Our defence needs the most work, relatively speaking, but overall we're still average, at best, and could use help everywhere.

What are the chances that our forwards will become regular NHLers? Then, what are the chances that they become effective top-6 NHL players? It's not as good as some around here may think. We've got solid forward prospects but right now they're all projected to be good middle-6 and bottom-6 guys.

My point, re-iterated, is that we need lottery tickets at all positions. For the Vancouver Canucks, in particular, to pass on the best player(s) available just because of "need" isn't as good an idea as it may seem.

So when we picked up Schroeder, was he the best player available?

You can sell that at the time, I suppose. But less and less people are buying it.

That's just an example of how 'best player available' is purely subjective. There is no grand master list to determine who is actually the 'best player available' at the time. If there was, there would be no need for a draft. Teams would just get these players in order for fairness.

Meanwhile, the problems you're stating applies to our defense more than it does to our forwards, certainly. That being said, we're more likely to get an impact defenseman than an impact forward at 23, are we not? It just seems that way.

Anyway, there's going to be a lot of moving parts. Maybe not as much as last draft for us, but enough to impact the future of the lineup, for better or worse. Hopefully Benning and Trev have a good plan.

If we pass over defense to select another forward in this draft, there will be laughter.

We will have plenty of High picks once the Sedins retire to find Dmen. We have to go w. BPA.

Dmen are late bloomers that's why it's so hard to project them as teenagers.

Remember when we DRAFTEd Taylor Ellington in the 2nd round, 33rd overall, PK Subban was drafted 5 picks later. Good times !!

I don't know where everyone gets the "Bieska is worth a 2nd"

Matthias's rights are only worth a 4th or 5th

Sprong apparently interviewed poorly and was caught by a couple of the "trick" questions. These questions usually involve throwing a teammate under the bus when asked about a certain play.

plus I'm not to high on the young Dutch Rudder anyway.

We will have plenty of High picks once the Sedins retire to find Dmen. We have to go w. BPA.

Dmen are late bloomers that's why it's so hard to project them as teenagers.

Remember when we DRAFTEd Taylor Ellington in the 2nd round, 33rd overall, PK Subban was drafted 5 picks later. Good times !!

different regime

This year's second and third round are going to be goldmines for stud CHL defence prospects. If this team is targeting a position -- personally, I'm a BPA guy -- over one specific player, it goes without saying that they are much better served moving back and picking up an extra pick.

It's not fair to say one specific trade is the standard but, at last year's draft, TB did get the 35th and 57th pick from the Islanders in exchange for their 28th overall pick. The value of the 35th and 57th will be higher in this year's draft due to a deeper pool of talent, but all it takes is for one team to want a kid just enough.

In my opinion, getting a Meloche/Andersson/Juulsen at 35 and Schemitsch -- who seems a tad underrated in the rankings -- at 57 would be a better haul than just a Chabot or a Zboril.

All the better if Benning manages to get more 2nd/3rd round picks.

I absolutely agree. I hope/believe that JB will recoup some middle round picks and as you said, this draft is littered with quality defensemen who appear to have NHL upside. Andersson, Dunn, Meloche, Siegenthaler, Larsson, Vande Sompel, Pilon... The 35-65 range is very deep. If Vancouver can obtain a couple 2nds or a 2nd and a 3rd then it will be much easier to take the BPA at 23 and then load up on quality defensemen prospects with later picks

BPA should almost always be the course of action for GM's (minus the lottery teams as they have the luxury of choosing players who are more likely to step in immediately and fill an organization void much sooner than the rest of the draft slots will)

If JB believes that Chabot, Roy, Zboril or Kylington are the best player available at 23.. Then hot dog! Grab that player. But if he believes that Boeser, Svenchikov, Merkley, or Eriksson-Ek are the BPA then you grab that player and assess where you're at in the next round.

For those who say that the Canucks must draft a defensmen at 23, regardless of whether or not the organization can gather more middle round picks, is absurd. You don't pass over a player you deem to have higher upside simply to fill a depth chart issue you have today. These players, if developed perfectly, may be impact guys for your team 5 years down the road. By that time, who knows what the organization will need!

I'm sure the NYR are just tickled pink that they chose Dylan Mcilrath at 10th overall in 2010 because they needed some snarl on their backend and left guys like Schwartz(14th), Tarasenko(16th) and Bjugstad(19th) on the board for teams simply grabbing talent instead of current needs.

I don't post a ton on these forums, but I do lurk around on a level that borders on obsessive.. It seems every year around this time I get on my soapbox and spew the BPA rhetoric for all to hear. I just hope the brass feels the same way I do.

As for BPA, the Canucks sure could have gone with that mentality instead of drafting Bourdon over Kopitar... Just not sure if we're in for a repeat of that this draft unless Jim trades up. Maybe a scoring forward would fall to 23rd due to his size, and then we may have a repeat of Schroeder of we pick him up. (OMG BPA! Yusss!) Maybe it's just all about a proper assessment on who the BPA actually is. Fingers-crossed Jim has a good idea.

As for BPA, the Canucks sure could have gone with that mentality instead of drafting Bourdon over Kopitar... Just not sure if we're in for a repeat of that this draft unless Jim trades up. Maybe a scoring forward would fall to 23rd due to his size, and then we may have a repeat of Schroeder of we pick him up. (OMG BPA! Yusss!) Maybe it's just all about a proper assessment on who the BPA actually is. Fingers-crossed Jim has a good idea.

Don't bring Bourdon into this, you don't know how good he would have been.

what's the relevance in that HV?

They're both big and fast Swedish forwards who can light the lamp, but they also play a hard game.

LA drafted a stud in Kempe last year, and I knew all along that he would be. I see Eriksson-Ek taking a very similar development path, but I also think that he's going to be even better than Kempe.

It would also help having a guy like him because we're in the same division as LA.

Eriksson-Ek vs. Kempe? Could be fun to watch. ::D

Archived