The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sbisa sandbagging the team

Matt_T83

He came into the season treating the team like a contender. He got the best that he though could help us NOW. Obviously it looks bad in retrospect but any new GM would have done the same given the circumstances they arrived in. The Ducks trade was a wash, we couldn't win with the handicap given.

Guy is -13 now. We're literally better without him.

I'm so pissed Benning did the Kesler trade like he did. Kesler was worth Bonino + 10th overall pick, straight up. They would have agreed, he just needed to play chicken. Now we are saddled with Sbisa, who may or may not ever develop into a good player.

I cringe every time he touches the puck.

Not getting Kesler + 10th is a huge mistake Benning made. It would have worked, and now we're stuck with Sbisa.

Any GM who can talk the Ducks into this return for Kesler is GM of the decade.

you should get your facts straight before you write on here...we don't know what benning was offered...your just using rumors you heard to make your point...gillis never turned down that trade..toronto wanted us to pick up part of luongo's contract...but the aquilinni's refused so that killed that deal....benning had his hands tied by kesler and anaheim could dictate the terms...

Lol I'm thinking your sarcasm detector needs a tune up there old-timer.

Sbisa is a GOOD defenceman. Injuries/lack of defensive depth pushed Sbisa into a role he can't fill.

When you have a third pairing dman not play up to the standards of a top 4 dman, don't blame the player. The problem lies with management. I'm not suggesting GMJB go out and throw away picks/prospects to address that issue, but I also don't see how it is logical to blame the player.

If Sbisa played consistently on a third pairing against other teams' 3rd/4th line, fans would love him.

Sbisa isn't the problem. Making a 5-6 dman play top 4 minutes is.

Sbisa has the lowest offensive zone starts on the blueline - so who really cares about his +/-? Been used in a depth shutdown role.

He's been in tough this season with injuries to top 4 like Hammer and Bieksa - and stepping up - playing with generally other young blue liners.

I like him. Pleasantly surprised actually. I knew he could skate, I knew he has some toughness, but he's much stronger than I'd expected him to be - wins a lot of board battles - has improved/simplified his puck moving dramatically from the start of the season - maintains good zone coverage, is actually reasonably skilled with the puck on his stick, and has a fairly heavy shot. Seems pretty level headed to me. Still and RFA with a reasonable cap hit. What's to complain about really? +/-? Could care less.

People are way too critical of Luca Sbisa. He makes some mistakes but so do all young blueliners. There is a ton of upside with this guy. He's big, hits hard, has a big shot, and skates well. I'd take all that over who's always good defensively but adds nothing offensively.

So, if I read between the lines, are you saying that if you had to choose, you'd pick Sbisa over Tanev?

Pure speculation on my part, but If that's the case, it may be prophetic as to what may transpire at trade deadline or off-season.

Would agree with you on your assessment of his skill set and his upside.

He's beyond sandbagging the team. His advanced stats are so poor I don't know how he isn't sitting in the pressobx in Utica. Oh that's right, he was a part of the Kesler trade so he's in the lineup

Rhys Jessop @Thats_Offside

#Canucks bottom-5 5v5 scoring chance +/-:

5. Richardson -27

4. Matthias -36

3. Vey -39

2. Stanton -47

1. SBISA MINUS-74

Archived