The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Women Are Not Inferior: Morgan Rielly and Being a Girl About It (Article)

Peaches

Wtf is with this over sensitive era?

Everyone is "special" now and can't be teased. Race and gender are non issues to me but that doesn't mean you can't ever make a sexist or racist joke every once in a while that's why it's called a joke.

He didn't say women are inferior or even imply that it's a turn of phrase. Relax.

Sometimes feminism just takes it a little too far. Heck most of the time these days men haters disguises themselves as feminist and that is not helping feminism one bit. This author is just showing man hate and need to calm down. Feminism is about social equality for women and calling a male hockey player a girl does not fall into that category.

People get offended by the smallest things these days and makes a big deal out of it. Can't we just be a big boy/gal and just suck it up?

Although i agree that women or girls should be treated as equals to men and not even be used the way morgan reilly did in the article Lmfao like a poster said earlier there is things like girls getting treated horribly in less developed areas of the world. Things like getting physically abused and just not being treated equally to men and we make that big a deal of some teeanage kid not choosing his words carefully and making a mistake with all the pressure of Toronto and the media there I don't know what we can relly do... How about making this big a deal out of things that matter A LOT more

The initial point is true. We shouldn't use "woman" or "girly" or "the P word that also means cat" etc as words for being weak etc. It has a negative connotation/is derogatory towards women. Sometimes its hard to stop using this kinds of words along with homophobic ones used in a similar manner simply because its so ingrained in young male vocabs. They get desensitized to it because they hear it so often that they don't even think of what it really means. It's something everyone should stop doing.

Pretty much all the rest of her points were garbage though

And it's such a non-issue that it really is irritating hearing about this crap everywhere. Language has negative idioms regarding both genders. The other day someone called me a dick, yet I didn't write a long-winded article for overzealous nutjobs to fawn over in the arena of political correctness.

In Saudia Arabia a woman was sentenced to 200 lashes and 6 months in jail for being the victim of a gangrape.

Meanwhile in North America, boo-freakin-hoo a hockey player made a passing comment about "being a girl" that's going to be taken in the wrong way so we have an excuse to light our torches and oil up our pitchforks and whine about something inconsequential.

Just because women are treated worse elsewhere doesn't mean we should stop trying to correct lesser issues in our own country.

I thought they made some good points, but then, an odd choice to use the word bitch, after all that?

I was thinking the same thing.

He clearly meant a little girl... He didn't say a woman.. That's my take on it. And nothing wrong with saying don't be a little girl about something.

This is a laughable justification...obviously it was a sexist comment, implying that women have lesser mental toughness. It was dumb, but I think we should let him apologize and move on.

Best reply:

bi1CZic.png

A bit ironic though because as big a fan I am of the women's national hockey team, part of the reason they win so much is due to weak competition from countries where cultural attitudes prevent women from playing hockey.

Different is not inferior, and anyone that doesn't realize Men and Women are different is daft.

But we're not different in this particular way. Women's aren't averse to hard work. I wasn't even annoyed by Reilly's comments because that's run-of-the-mill kind of stuff but I won't lie and say I'm not bothered when opposing fans call the Sedins "sisters". First of all, being women shouldn't be considered an insult. Secondly, used in this connotation it implies that the Sedins aren't tough, which is just inaccurate. It's not even clever, I don't know why people seem so pleased with themselves whenever they think they've come up with that "insult"

Honestly, a bit of an over-reaction to Reilly's comments, but the backlash toward the writer was overall pretty kneejerk-y too. I feel like a lot of this has come out of the perception of feminism now as "man-hating". All I've learned today is that the best way to rile up a bunch of men is to call them sexist ;) .

I am the baby in my family two older sisters. The physical aspects women lack they make up in strides with their brain. Theres a reason why men held women down before equal rights. Don't get me wrong i love women they are beautiful but i can understand why less intelligent men get scared at some point. Sometimes they are a bit too cunning etc and its tough to watch. There should be a happy medium.

I would have preferred to get beat up by a guy than have a older sister lol.

Anyone who makes a big deal out of the twitter post is probably just naive looking for publicity.

Archived