The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis will be a GM in the league again one day.

messier's_elbow

Pettiness.

Spite.

Angst.

Regret.

Envy.

Assumption, insinuation & implications, etc, etc...

Maybe the guy doesn't WANT any more involvment with an entity, such as the NHL? Who knows?

Who should care?

How many cars must be rolled, lookin in the rear view?

Solutions:

Go for a jog.

Next, swim & bike-long.

Y'know how many Van Morrison albums are on U-tube? ;^]

Try chess(random 960 is awesome)

Chase a pretty girl, & don't use tech(be different)

Get a library card

Buy some quality coffee beans

Eschew advertising

Try a random act of kindness(include a smile, & avoid reciprocation)

I like CDC, but it's a sun everyone's world revolves around.

Time is precious.

Pettiness.

Spite.

Angst.

Regret.

Envy.

Assumption, insinuation & implications, etc, etc...

Maybe the guy doesn't WANT any more involvment with an entity, such as the NHL? Who knows?

Who should care?

How many cars must be rolled, lookin in the rear view?

Solutions:

Go for a jog.

Next, swim & bike-long.

Y'know how many Van Morrison albums are on U-tube? ;^]

Try chess(random 960 is awesome)

Chase a pretty girl, & don't use tech(be different)

Get a library card

Buy some quality coffee beans

Eschew advertising

Try a random act of kindness(include a smile, & avoid reciprocation)

I like CDC, but it's a sun everyone's world revolves around.

Time is precious.

You're weird, but in a good way. :lol:

Gillis is a clown. Sure he deserves respect for drafting studs like Horvat, Shinkaruk, Cassels, etc but those player rental trades really bothered me and therefore he doesn't deserve to be a gm anymore. It'll be so hilarious if he gets hired. He'll just handcuff that franchise with NTCs. Hahah.. Have fun

I was a huge Gillis fan. He didn't always make decisions that worked out well, but they were easy to justify. He was excellent at managing the team on an ongoing basis - finding a weakness and fixing it. This is something that Burke and Nonis were horrible at.

He knew how to put together a really solid team under tight cap constraints. His biggest downfall was handcuffing the team with too many no trade clauses.

I liked the idea of bringing in Benning. At first he was alright. Even the Linden Vey trades is one of those "justifiable mistakes".

However, since we were eliminated from the playoffs it is like he has fallen off his rocker starting with the Dorsett and Sbisa signings. I've hated everything he has done since. I wouldn't have minded the Bieksa trade IF I didn't know that San Jose allegedly had a better offer on the plate.

I agree with you 100%. Well said.

Kk don't say this when Canucks are contenders again under JB.

You mean in 4-5 years? I don't hate Benning I just think gillis is a better gm overall. The only bad things gillis did was trade for Ballard and give out too many NTC. Other then that he didn't deserve to get canned.

You mean in 4-5 years? I don't hate Benning I just think gillis is a better gm overall. The only bad things gillis did was trade for Ballard and give out too many NTC. Other then that he didn't deserve to get canned.

Traded away our only legit option as a starter for a pick

Traded away Lu for garbage while compounding his idiocy by retaining salary

Embarrassed the franchise by shutting down Malhotra in order to make room for Andrew Ebbett

Traded away Dale Weise for table scraps

Gave away draft picks like they were candy

The reason Benning isn't looking good right now is because his idiot of a predecessor ran the franchise into the ground.

Embarrassed the franchise by shutting down Malhotra in order to make room for Andrew Ebbett

The reason Benning isn't looking good right now is because his idiot of a predecessor ran the franchise into the ground.

i agree

You mean he traded one of our goalies for our best young player? Yeah he did.

You mean he traded one of our goalies for our best young player? Yeah he did.

He traded our best goalie at a time when we were still a contender for a single draft pick. This left us with an overpaid goalie who not only couldn't be trusted in the playoffs, he didn't even want to be here. That trade basically was throwing in the towel on the Sedin era and Gillis only made matters worse by eating cap in the Lu trade. Any GM with 2 brain cells would have done the sensible thing and just buy out Luongo.

Ran it into the ground? 2 presidents trophies and a seven game Stanley cup final appearance.

He traded our best goalie at a time when we were still a contender for a single draft pick. This left us with an overpaid goalie who not only couldn't be trusted in the playoffs, he didn't even want to be here. That trade basically was throwing in the towel on the Sedin era and Gillis only made matters worse by eating cap in the Lu trade. Any GM with 2 brain cells would have done the sensible thing and just buy out Luongo.

gillis wasn't the owner he wasn't allowed to buy out Lu.... You don't think he wanted to? Bettman screwed Gillis with the Lu situation.

Ran it into the ground? 2 presidents trophies and a seven game Stanley cup final appearance.

With a core built by his predecessors. Gillis then decided to absolutely destroy the team with one dreadful trade after another. We'd be in so much better shape if ownership had replaced him with a real GM at the same time as AV got canned.

Not only that, Luongo's contract is still a time bomb waiting to go off. No way he's playing hockey at 43 years of age.

gillis wasn't the owner he wasn't allowed to buy out Lu.... You don't think he wanted to? Bettman screwed Gillis with the Lu situation.

You think the owner wasn't willing to spend money to make the team better? Gillis didn't buy out Lu because he didn't have the brain capacity to realize it was the only acceptable solution. If the owner still wouldn't allow a buyout, a GM with integrity would resign rather than make multiple terrible trades and destroy both his reputation and the team's future.

Not only that, Luongo's contract is still a time bomb waiting to go off. No way he's playing hockey at 43 years of age.

Yeah, that's the truly scaring thing. Eating salary should be grounds for firing a GM on the spot, but that cap recapture WILL come back to bite us in the rear and it's now completely out of our control.

With a core built by his predecessors. Gillis then decided to absolutely destroy the team with one dreadful trade after another. We'd be in so much better shape if ownership had replaced him with a real GM at the same time as AV got canned.

None of his trades were dreadful except the Ballard trade. Gillis got erhoff, Higgins,Torres, malhotra, ect. I just don't agree with you.

Archived