The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis will be a GM in the league again one day.

messier's_elbow

I think the horribleness of Jim Benning is making Gillis look great. Overall he was good, but kind of started to suck from the Hodgson trade onward.

Benning is far from horrible. He has a different skill set than Gillis. Benning is better at drafting and talent evaluation. It remains to be seen who is better at development. He is better liked by GM's around the league so would be able to make trades more easily.

Gillis was best at contracts and negotiation. One of his problems was that he had a long career as an agent where he held GM's feet to the fire. Many didn't like doing business with him. That's why he made so many deals with Dale Talon.

These guys know what their strengths and weaknesses are. They build their management teams accordingly.

The Canucks would never have gone to the Cup finals without those NTCs. Those NTCs helped save millions for a few other pieces that got the team there.

Agreed....Gillis got key players to sign for less...The downside of the NTC's was apparent even by 2013....Imagine what the return for Kesler would have been if he didn't have an NTC.

Most of the bitching about gillis wasn't his fault. The Lu contract was fine until the league f'd us over. Torts was aquilinis hire... Remember the gillis interview right before he got canned? He alluded to as much. His drafting wasn't as bad as people say. He was the gm of our most entertaining team we have ever had. He wasn't perfect but the hate is laughable. The Ballard trade sucked though I'll give the haters that one.

Drafting under his regime was bad (picking that late in the 1st is a crapshoot though)....Nothing to really show for the first 6 years,but in his last year(2013) he had a great draft..IMO

Gillis will never be a GM. He was disliked around the league for his attitude and ego. His handing out NTCs like candy has put us in terrible situation as our core has aged. His inability to resolve the goalie situation without it becoming a clown show, will be his legacy.

GM of the year in 2011.

Voted by his peers.

He made enemies because he was a cut throat agent, who he was often on the winning side of Contract bargagings.

If that GM had a problem with it, that GM can simply quit his job. MIke Gillis was doing nothing but looking out for the best interest of his clients back then, (which was his players since he was a players agent)

I'm sure there were times when MIke Gillis had to also give in, for a lighter contract so his clients can also be happy with their current teams. He will probably lose negotations, but he sucked it up, and didn't take anything personally like some stupid GM"s here who you think has a problem with Mike Gillis.

Your crying about NTC's, Mike Gillis knows damn right.... NTC's mean nothing if you can convince them easily that this team, does not want you anymore, and it be in the players best interest to waive the NTC. IF the player has an ounce of a brain, they will also do whats best for the team itself and waive it.

The Vancouver Canucks have successfully made 3 players waive their NTC's in the past 3 years, Kesler, Biesksa and Garrison, so your totally flawed when you said MIke Gillis kept on offering NTC's. Keep in mind, if he didn't offer those NTC's, we could have lost those players to free agency for nothing.

Lets not forget that Gillis hired Torts. One of the worst decisions this franchise has ever made. I still believe that was his ultimate downfall.

I don't know if you just started using the internet yesterday or something, MIke Gillis when knowing he was about to get fired came out and told the Media, that it wasn't decision to hire Torterella, he wanted Glutzmen as the head coach.

As we all know, it was ownership meddling with these decisions, and ownership SHOULD NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER MEDDLE WITH ANY OF THIS or else look what happens.

2014 Canucks finish 6th from the bottom, because of a coach that was hired by the decision of ownership.

You want to blame someone? Blame the owners right now and today! I also blame them for giving any new hires, (GM's) the daunting task that they are automatically fired if they team misses the playoffs. What kind of dickhead owners do this??? unreal.

Agreed....Gillis got key players to sign for less...The downside of the NTC's was apparent even by 2013....Imagine what the return for Kesler would have been if he didn't have an NTC.

which of those deals do you regard as a bargain?

I refuse to believe that somebody as smart as Gillis would draft Schroeder and perform some of the post-cup run moves that he did unless his hands were tied.

Schroeder was by far the BPA at that point in the draft (much like Hunter Shinkaruk was when the Canucks got him in the late 1st)...Benning would not have drafted either player..IMO.

I'm speculating,but I believe that Anaheim was going to give us a couple of first round picks (including 10th overall) with Gillis...Ownership nixed that one....Sadly...That would have been an admission of a rebuild...By the time Benning got here,the 10th was off of the table (Anaheim basically had us over a barrel..because they were the only team Kesler could go to...previously,Pittsburgh was also in on Kesler,so at least there was a bidding war).

Schroeder was by far the BPA at that point in the draft (much like Hunter Shinkaruk was when the Canucks got him in the late 1st)...Benning would not have drafted either player..IMO.

I'm speculating,but I believe that Anaheim was going to give us a couple of first round picks (including 10th overall) with Gillis...Ownership nixed that one....Sadly...That would have been an admission of a rebuild...By the time Benning got here,the 10th was off of the table (Anaheim basically had us over a barrel..because they were the only team Kesler could go to...previously,Pittsburgh was also in on Kesler,so at least there was a bidding war).

I think Gillis was smart enough to know that wasn't the case with Schroeder and Shinkaruk. My feeling is that his hands were tied.

which of those deals do you regard as a bargain?

Chris Higgins and Max Lapierre...two great moves by Gillis for a couple of expendable players and 3rd round draft picks...My view on Gillis is 50/50...The good ) He assembled a team that had more than a good shot at winning the cup for multiple years...The bad) His drafting.., shallow prospect pool,..NTC's.. and the goalie situation.

Lol you know what I meant....

If I was an owner gillis would definitely get an interview for a GM gig.

apparently he was one of the candidates for a gig in Washington. oh well, ya know, Mike Gillis is a strong individual himself. He probably doesn't give a crap whether he becomes a gm or not. He's not like Brian Burke or anyone.

apparently he was one of the candidates for a gig in Washington. oh well, ya know, Mike Gillis is a strong individual himself. He probably doesn't give a crap whether he becomes a gm or not. He's not like Brian Burke or anyone.

He might not care but he's a better GM then %75 of the GMs working right now. They just have the jobs cause most of them are the owners puppets.

Archived