The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis will be a GM in the league again one day.

messier's_elbow

Gillis hasn't exactly done jack squat in terms of finding late rounders.

K-Con. The book on him has yet to be written.

McNally. May turn into something for the Sharks?

Corrado, of course.

Labate. Not sure yet.

Grenier. People are talking NHL now.

Hutton. Benning said he'll be a real good player. Hmm?

Cole Cassels. People need to remember that was a Gillis pick.

Subban. Maybe?

Cederholm. Maybe?

Gillis hasn't exactly done jack squat in terms of finding late rounders.

K-Con. The book on him has yet to be written.

McNally. May turn into something for the Sharks?

Corrado, of course.

Labate. Not sure yet.

Grenier. People are talking NHL now.

Hutton. Benning said he'll be a real good player. Hmm?

Cole Cassels. People need to remember that was a Gillis pick.

Subban. Maybe?

Cederholm. Maybe?

Tanev and lack were signed as well just as good as a pick.

I'd be reluctant as well if I did a good job at something and idiots still said I sucked.

Yeah I really can't believe that he still gets so much hate after all that he has done for the organization. People don't understand that his contribution is more than just bringing in some players to help the Canucks reach one Stanley Cup Final run, and even that is a great feat in itself that only two other GMs in Canuck history could say.

Yeah I really can't believe that he still gets so much hate after all that he has done for the organization. People don't understand that his contribution is more than just bringing in some players to help the Canucks reach one Stanley Cup Final run, and even that is a great feat in itself that only two other GMs in Canuck history could say.

Plus he got us our own AHL team.

He inherited that core and then immediately destroyed the team after that run with consistently stupid trades. We're stuck with the Luongo retained salary/cap recapture for close to another decade thanks to this idiot.

He inherited that core and then immediately destroyed the team after that run with consistently stupid trades. We're stuck with the Luongo retained salary/cap recapture for close to another decade thanks to this idiot.

Although I think Gillis made his share of mistakes, blaming him for Luongo's Cap recapture is off base, IMO.

The Cap Recapture was instituted after the Luongo contract was signed, scrutinized and approved by the NHL. If you want to blame a GM, blame Brian Burke, who was the one pushing the hardest for it during the last CBA negotiations.

Although I think Gillis made his share of mistakes, blaming him for Luongo's Cap recapture is off base, IMO.

The Cap Recapture was instituted after the Luongo contract was signed, scrutinized and approved by the NHL. If you want to blame a GM, blame Brian Burke, who was the one pushing the hardest for it during the last CBA negotiations.

A simple buyout would have solved that. Even if ownership wasn't down, even Nonuts had the balls to stand up to them and refuse to make a trade that would cripple the team for years to come. The fact Gillis made the Schneider trade means he's either an idiot or he's spineless.

A simple buyout would have solved that. Even if ownership wasn't down, even Nonuts had the balls to stand up to them and refuse to make a trade that would cripple the team for years to come. The fact Gillis made the Schneider trade means he's either an idiot or he's spineless.

97% of your posts on CDC make Gillis sound like he's more horrible than a baby serial murderer.

Would've been a pretty expensive buyout. Hard to imagine the Aquamen signing off on that one.

BTW: Remind again what happened to "Nonuts" after he defied ownership?

BTW: Remind again what happened to "Nonuts" after he defied ownership?

And he at least remained employable afterwards. The buyout would have been way cheaper than the financial fallout resulting from the devastation to the franchise Gillis' trades brought.

And he at least remained employable afterwards. The buyout would have been way cheaper than the financial fallout resulting from the devastation to the franchise Gillis' trades brought.

Thanks to Burkie. I don't think MG had such a safety net in the league.

I don't know if he will, but it's not because of his resume from his time with the Canucks. He's a GM of the Year winner.

The NTC's no one likes now were leverage to keep core guys here for less money. Got us the best overall D man we've ever had in Dan Hamhuis. Maybe second only to Ohlund.

Even the trades that didn't work out for us, time has proven he wasn't wrong on for giving up the guys he did.

Ballard / Grabner - one season wonder. A very good top 9 forward, but not the 35+ goal guy he was, once.

Kassian / Hodgson - Hodgson is garbage.

Roy / Connauton - Kevin C might turn in to a very solid top 4 D guy, but your organization has to be able to replace guys like that. Clendenning probably already has.

I think Gillis was fully capable of judging talent and rebuilding the Canucks. It was just his time to go. Especially if he wasn't gonna ask guys to waive those NTC's he gave them, and you can't blame him for sticking to his word.

Your clueless on the Gillis issue. He made one horrible trade which was the Ballard deal. All the others were average to decent. He did what he could with Lu when the league bent him over a barrel.

Your clueless on the Gillis issue. He made one horrible trade which was the Ballard deal. All the others were average to decent. He did what he could with Lu when the league bent him over a barrel.

I wouldn't even call the Ballard trade horrible. At the time it was made, it looked pretty good, but then Hamhuis became a possibility and it would have been crazy not to pursue him.

Ballard then got hurt, soon after arriving in Vancouver and was never able to regain enough form to supplant one of the left side guys. He struggled playing on his off side, so it never really worked out for him here.

I have a hard time putting that all on Gillis. If he had made that deal after acquiring Hamhuis, I might not be so forgiving.

I wouldn't even call the Ballard trade horrible. At the time it was made, it looked pretty good, but then Hamhuis became a possibility and it would have been crazy not to pursue him.

Ballard then got hurt, soon after arriving in Vancouver and was never able to regain enough form to supplant one of the left side guys. He struggled playing on his off side, so it never really worked out for him here.

I have a hard time putting that all on Gillis. If he had made that deal after acquiring Hamhuis, I might not be so forgiving.

I thought the Ballard trade looked horrible right from the get-go. Just my opinion, and I think your opinion of it looking good is entirely valid too.

Archived