The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade deadline ~~ UFA's Richardson, Dorsett, Matthias ~ which one goes?

Nuckstove

Lol @ trading Matthias. He has worked his ass off for us all season long. Finally gets placed in a top 6 role. 2nd in goals on our team. If anything, he deserves a multi-year extension with us.

I like Dorsett's game. He has good offensive instincts while still playing a "stiff" game.

I say Richardson is odd man out with the emergence of Horvat, and Gaunce waiting to break into the NHL next season.

This^^^. I hope.

None of the three listed by the OP will be on the move. I mean management told everyone who'd listen which strangely enough for this being a Canucks site seems so few listened.

The team is retaining their players to build for the future, they brought in UFA's to supplement the lineup and help provide a winning atmosphere for all the youth expected to push for a job as we move along. The three players mentioned as pending UFA's have all been very solid for the team this season and are needed in the push to nail down a Playoff spot.

It is in Vancouver's best interest to try and re-sign all three, perhaps Richardson could be the weaker of the three and may be pushed down the depth chart, but as we gear up for the Playoffs he provides much needed depth and to be honest is a little underrated here.

Looking at the future....Dorsett goes....Higgins goes.....but if it comes down to what we will get I don`t think there is a player safe on this team. Or any team in the league.

Let`s face it....if some GM offers us a 1st rounder for Richardson who in their right mind would turn it down??

And don't say it wouldn't happen....stranger trades have been made over the years.

FaxCap

Please dont trade Matthias, hes been awesome for us this season.

Which is why his value is at its highest.

If they think that he plans to test free agency, then they need to get something for him.

We've done this in the past way too many times. Holding on to players only to lose them for nothing. Yes he'll help us if we make the playoffs, but at the end of the day, they need to be realistic about what this teams chances are this season.

all indications are Matthias wants to remain in Vancouver and build with the team atleast in any public interviews I have heard. So not sure why when his value is high you'd move him ? if he is best valued as a Canuck.

Dorsett is a player Vancouver loves, he is the type of player Benning and Linden want as a Canuck, he is not going anywhere lol.

Trade Richardson. Keep Matthias.

Benning should try the Florida route and get us some quality rentals for our UFA contracts.

IN: Jagr

OUT: Fleischmann --> 3rd round pick (2015)

Bergenheim --> 3rd round pick (2016)

That was smart because Berg wanted out and they weren't going to be able to re-sign Fleichmann

I just don't know if we are able to get a quality rental for the return price we could get on Richardson alone, seeing as how everything seems to point towards Benning wanting to re-up on both Dorsett and Matthias

The best thing might be to stand pat and keep Richardson as well - him coming back from injury is kind of like adding to the roster via trade anyways (as Benning has said of the bodies that will be coming back)

Matthias might attract an over-payment by someone.....JB has to seriously consider it.

Yeah it was said somewhere that his agent wants to wait for the off-season to negotiate. This doesn't sit well. His value is at an all time high and definitely will be looking for a bigger deal with his recent performance and maybe deservedly so.

Question is though, this deal lets say 3.5 per over 4 years or something. Will he be able to maintain his current play over the deal to make it worth re-signing.

Also he can say all he wants about staying but then why wait till off-season. He will likely have a team over pay and offer him more in the summer and put us in a position to match. So there is a very real risk of losing him for nothing when right now he could easily manage a 2nd round pick if not better in a return.

In my opinion if Benning is not certain of re-signing him by now he has to go. No matter how good he has been. We aren't likely cup favorites.

I would much rather wake up tomorrow to find out we have re-signed him rather than trade him but just thinking of all the angles here.

In my opinion if Benning is not certain of re-signing him by now he has to go. No matter how good he has been. We aren't likely cup favorites.

I would much rather wake up tomorrow to find out we have re-signed him rather than trade him but just thinking of all the angles here.

very well said...

Archived