The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oh, It Gets Better... Lupul, Phaneuf and Cuthbert all Suing TSN for tweet put on-air

Are you serious? Like holy bajesus H christ. That "fan" for one, was not the person that decided to show it on air. It was just a funny comment made within the twitter-sphere about a rumour. So no he should not be made an example of, comments like that are made every day. Millions of times. Whether it's twitter or in person it's just a bunch of sounds that are interpreted into a language, or a bunch of words that do that same. By your standards a large percentage of people should be getting sued.

Why the hell are so many people so damn sensitive. Grow a backbone. Hyper-conservative comments like this are completely ridiculous and can only originate from a controlling and manipulative ideology. You appear to be a prisoner to your belief systems, and seem unable to complete any independent thinking. People like you need to die off ASAP so humanity can progress.

Go ahead, sue me.

social-media-douchebag-20090617-130844.j

This is what happens when the media turns into a bunch of adults in a sandbox throwing sand in eyes of the players.

The media really needs to learn to tone their crap down, especially TSN.

Sure the media does that sometimes, hell, frequently even, but in this particular case it seems more like either incredibly poor judgement on the part of TSN, or they let some plug intern review live tweets and he thought this one would be a fair representation of what the network would think to be acceptable.

Each instance is poor judgement. 3rd case of poor judgement? The nobody life long Leafs fan who piped up on social media to trash talk because he had an idea he thought was funny for a second.

Yes, the media is a negative cesspool of garbage and spiraling, perpetual hatred. Yet, for some reason they continue to get away with it time and time again. It's not just because they have the power to do so, it's because more people like the life long Leafs fan exist than some people are willing to admit. The media caters to negativity. The news in general has been doing it since forever, why should anyone think that the sporting news would somehow make a 180 into %100 positivity.

The world we live in.

Well if someone made fun of my wife or hurt her, i would. I wouldn't get into a fight, but a punch is justified for disrespectful and hurtful words/actions, especially to your loved ones.

Are you old enough to have a wife yet?

That is just stupid dude because you will end up in jail for assault

If you believe in free speech, you have to support it in all cases. Even the use of derogatory/inflammatory comments, otherwise you're a self-righteous hypocrite. As bad as it was for TSN to show the tweet on their show. It is within the bounds of free speech for that tweet to have been written, published, and shared.

This was a douche-nozzle move by TSN nonetheless, but to say it's okay to file a lawsuit and go after someone who wrote some words (true or not) then pressed "enter" on their keyboard is unacceptable. Why don't you go fall down at Wal-Mart and sue them while you're at it?

If I wrote these comments on million pieces of paper and posted them all over Toronto should they be able to sue me? Hell no. Although that's in essence the exact same thing, just on a more technologically advanced medium.

You don't like being in the public eye and getting fun poked at you? Stop playing hockey. Otherwise stfu and do what you're paid millions to do.

as Down By the River Says, free speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you want with no fear of repurcussions. It means you can say what you want, but be prepared for the repurcussions.

Though this was in response to someone else ....

Mea Culpa. I gave you advice in good faith. If you think the bolded is humour, you're an idiot. (That's an insult, protected under freedom of speech, btw.)

You still don't get it, despite the patient explanations of multiple posters. You should know that Twitter is NOT the same as talking in private to your friends. You can say whatever ludicrous thing you want to them without worry or danger because they're the only ones hearing them. Unless this becomes East Germany before the Wall's fall, (meaning your terrified friend reports you in a completely repressive state), nobody cares about private idiotic comments. But when you release them in public (and twitter is a public sphere), and certainly when they then are disseminated on a public TV network (who found about about them because twitter is public), you're legally responsible for the outcome of those comments, in this case the legal and understandable threats, made through lawyers, by two hockey players plus the spouse or gf of another.

You may disagree with the law, but that's the facts, Jack. And I agree with the law in this case. Defamation can, and does, affect lives permanently.

Oh, btw, ever wonder why the comedian who was recorded calling Bill Cosby a rapist, with the resulting internet-exploded tape, didn't worry about legal repercussions?

stripes155.jpeg

Some of you are taking this argument way too seriously. It could have been some kid making that tweet with #tradecentre at the end, and he should be made example of because TSN showed it on air?

Better sue everyone on the Internet in that case, because we've all poked fun at or discussed something that can be compared to this.

I can't stand the Twitter talk that gets reported in Newspapers and especially on tv.

When done in these formats all it's just like a couple old women gossiping about their no good husbands while they watch their stories.

Archived