The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

It's Not Just Bettman That Wants The Panthers To Stay in Florida

Seattle is 15th...Phoenix metro area is 12th. Probably reason why Phoenix/Arizona is still around.

Surprised Houston hasn't been given serious consideration. They have an NHL facility and they are fifth largest metro center in the US. Bay area in northern California should be another consideration...11th largest metro area.

Uh, where do you think San Jose is? Bay area.

Take another look at the census data...San Francisco/Oakland and surrounding area = Bay Area. San Jose/Santa Clara and surrounding area make up Silicon Valley. Two distinct US census regions.

Distinct census regions doesn't mean anything. The only "SF" team that plays in SF is the Giants.

I live in Seattle and there's one thing I know for certain, we love our sports. There is no doubt in my mind a hockey team would flourish here. The interest and potential isn't even a question, it's whether of not Commissioner weasel and his cohorts will relocate instead of expending in the next couple of years.

Then get that damn new arena built!!!!! :P

Take another look at the census data...San Francisco/Oakland and surrounding area = Bay Area. San Jose/Santa Clara and surrounding area make up Silicon Valley. Two distinct US census regions.

Have you been there? That's like saying Burnaby is different from Vancouver

Have you been there? That's like saying Burnaby is different from Vancouver

I have, Stawns. Been to SF on a number of occasions and sister lived in Cupertino, CA (home of Apple and next to San Jose) for 10+ years.

SF to SJ is 60 miles, so it's more like Vancouver/Chilliwack. And travel time is about 75-90 minutes depending on traffic. SF/Oakland is at the mouth of the bay and SJ is about 10 miles in land from bottom of the bay. So there's my local geography knowledge.

Granted, it's one giant urban/suburban sprawl whether you're traveling S-SE from SF to SJ or directly south from Oakland, the SF-Oakland "region" has a population of around 4.5M while San Jose-Santa Clara "region" has a population of 2M or so and is measured distinctly from each other, which is the data that is used when working out TV contracts. So, there's my local demographics knowledge.

I could care less if Quebec gets their team back. What makes me mad is the east as a group are on welfare and the NHL team will be on welfare. If it meant getting a team in Seattle I would reluctantly go along with it.

I doubt that happens anyway. NHL is going to Lost Vegas in a play by a major sport to market their team through the Vegas venue. Bettman is smart like a fox. He has nothing to lose even if the franchise located there is a transfer or an expansion team. Wait until they role out a All-Star show there or even better a out door game with the bells and whistles. All the owners will get spin off benefits but mostly their team valuations will take another jump.

Florida's attendance might not be great but my understanding is that there are no longer discounted tickets. The fans that are there are paying the full prices which makes the attendance stats better than previous years. Florida has had attendance in the past. Fans there are no dif when they get abused by bad ownership and management. This does not mean I think there should be hockey there. There are better candidates.

nope it would not. we can't support the giants. contrary to popular belief, Vancouver is a Canucks town rather than a hockey one.

Heck right now we can't even fill the Rog..

Contrary to your post Vancouver is a hockey town, especially considering you pulled those facts out of thin air.

The Giants are still one of the best attended teams in the dub despite not playing the greatest hockey. And while yes the Rog hasn't sold out 100% this season there are factors beyond "bad fans". If it really were a Canucks town then you'd think the arena would be sold out. Vancouver had the exact same attendance percentage (98.8% capacity) as Calgary as of the writing of this post. So you're saying Calgary isn't a hockey town?

Contrary to your post Vancouver is a hockey town, especially considering you pulled those facts out of thin air.

The Giants are still one of the best attended teams in the dub despite not playing the greatest hockey. And while yes the Rog hasn't sold out 100% this season there are factors beyond "bad fans". If it really were a Canucks town then you'd think the arena would be sold out. Vancouver had the exact same attendance percentage (98.8% capacity) as Calgary as of the writing of this post. So you're saying Calgary isn't a hockey town?

Calgary is a Flames town :bigblush:

The recipe for building a great new hockey market from the ground up has been created and refined by Nashville.

You put money towards creating kids hockey leagues. Those kids and their parents become hockey fans as they learn the game from their own experiences. They then all go and buy tickets to the major league team.

Same happened in California, heck now you are actually seeing some of those local products getting drafted.

The recipe for building a great new hockey market from the ground up has been created and refined by Nashville.

You put money towards creating kids hockey leagues. Those kids and their parents become hockey fans as they learn the game from their own experiences. They then all go and buy tickets to the major league team.

Same happened in California, heck now you are actually seeing some of those local products getting drafted.

Also this helped

GretzkyTrade_p64n10mb_76qjou5m.jpg

This times 1000!

20 years ago there were no hockey leagues in Tennessee, Texas, California...even Arizona and Florida has youth hockey leagues now. This is how you build a foundation and a fanbase. You will never get a 40 year old man to suddenly start being a hockey fan. You have to start with the youth. If the kids get into hockey, so will the parents.

Anybody involved in youth hockey in the US can tell you with certainty that hockey is growing...actualky its not growing, its skyrocketing. And it starts with NHL teams supporting its local youth leagues.

Archived