The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Maple Leafs embarrass themselves again - Kessel Booth practice fight

You have to laugh. As per usual Kessel never dropped the mitts, Booth did. In the Booth interview he said he hoped the energy from the scuffle translated into games. I took that as a shot toward Kessel who shows zero in most TOI.

Kessel takes a two hander on Scott with almost no fallout. Should have got 10 games but heh, he plays for the Laffers.

Guest Dasein

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/phil-kessel-david-booth-fight-toronto-maple-leafs-practice/#__federated=1

I don't know how to quote articles on my iPad. Looks like kessel and the leafs are embarrassing themselves again.

Though teammates were laughing about it later.

Not really embarrassing

Happens all the time

In fact, Weber and Matthias went at it in practice this season so...

As Booth said in a long season these things can happen. When it's the Leafs it's embarrassing, but when it's Canucks - I remember people saying it was good to see how much the players care (Mitchell/Kesler situation)

Double standards on here or what? haha

The difference between kessel v booth and dorsett/matthias v weber is that kessel and booth are both top end guys for the leafs, and the canucks guys are bottom on the team. I cant quite remember who it was (i think it was pj stock maybe) said fights with the bottom level players happen more often because theyre battling for position on the team. Team fights dont usually create bad blood between players.

I like it, shows they actually somewhat care still.

Bottom of the team? You might want to check out the team stats and see where these guys are in goals....Last I checked, Matthias was #2 on the Canucks and Weber was #1 on the defense.

As far as the "fight" goes, like many have already said, this is much ado about nothing. It's actually very common.

There was a story circulating several years ago about a cocky young Jaromir Jagr, who after a practice run-in with Phil Bourque, started beaking off about how much more money he was making than Bourque.

He was promptly fed a couple of knuckle sandwiches by Rick Tocchet, who told the young Czech in no uncertain terms, that NHL players do not bring up contracts in such situations.

Another story centers around Keith Primeau, when he was still a young player for the Red Wings. One day at practice, he was heard complaining loudly and often about being shorted an assist in the previous night's game.

At some point in the practice, one of the Wings' assistant coaches (Colin Campbell, according to most) came over the PA system and announced that a goal that someone had scored during the shoot-around was assisted by Keith Primeau....

Everyone on the ice thought it was funny. Everyone, that is, with the exception of Primeau, who proceeded to challenge Campbell to a fight. Primeau's challenge was accepted, but not by Campbell. Bob Probert stepped in for the Wings' assistant and when it was all said and done, Primeau had been taught a valuable lesson about acting like a baby at practice.

I think the biggest thing here was the tweet where Booth called Kessel out for not trying usually.

"It was actually good to see that," Booth says of the competitive fire in his joust with Kessel.
— Jonas Siegel (@jonasTSN1050) March 27, 2015

Man I miss Booth.

Not saying that I don't love the new guys here, just... Booth was fun.

People look at Booth's tenure in Vancouver as a failure, but if one indulges in a game of "what if", I wonder how it might be remembered if the Kevin Porter knee on knee doesn't happen....

Bottom of the team? You might want to check out the team stats and see where these guys are in goals....Last I checked, Matthias was #2 on the Canucks and Weber was #1 on the defense.

As far as the "fight" goes, like many have already said, this is much ado about nothing. It's actually very common.

There was a story circulating several years ago about a cocky young Jaromir Jagr, who after a practice run-in with Phil Bourque, started beaking off about how much more money he was making than Bourque.

He was promptly fed a couple of knuckle sandwiches by Rick Tocchet, who told the young Czech in no uncertain terms, that NHL players do not bring up contracts in such situations.

Another story centers around Keith Primeau, when he was still a young player for the Red Wings. One day at practice, he was heard complaining loudly and often about being shorted an assist in the previous night's game.

At some point in the practice, one of the Wings' assistant coaches (Colin Campbell, according to most) came over the PA system and announced that a goal that someone had scored during the shoot-around was assisted by Keith Primeau....

Everyone on the ice thought it was funny. Everyone, that is, with the exception of Primeau, who proceeded to challenge Campbell to a fight. Primeau's challenge was accepted, but not by Campbell. Bob Probert stepped in for the Wings' assistant and when it was all said and done, Primeau had been taught a valuable lesson about acting like a baby at practice.

Agree, much ado about nothing. Probably happens alot more than some people think.

I recall when Martin Havlat was with the Hawks there was a practice where he was mouthing off at his teammates. The coach at the time, Denis Savard, told Havlat to shut his mouth, and then Havlat told Savard off. Hawks captain Marty Lapointe promptly skated over and kicked the ever living sh*t out of Havlat. So basically, the Hawks captain beat the crap out of the Hawks star player. It happens...no biggie.

Archived