The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Flames megaproject pitch for new arena

Saddledome is an awful place. The city has always supported that team well and deserve a decent stadium. God knows they have the money. I would have kept on stampede grounds. Calgary is not a downtown city. There is no such thing as walk up traffic. The location they are talking about is not on the C train unless they are extending it too (I haven't lived there in many years so for all I know it could have been extended out there). Some good indoor sports stadiums would be great for the city too. McMahon is ancient.

Reading about these new stadiums makes me wonder what the Canucks will do with Rogers Arena when the time comes. Obviously it's a long way away, but when the time comes I expect them to just renovate it, a la Madison Square Garden. Rogers Arena is in pretty much the perfect possible location.

It seems to me these mega complexes and stadiums should be designed for significant upgrades. Realistically though most of the upgrades that are being done are for the luxury boxes. There is only so much you can do for those and once there in place is basically renovating around them. Electronics, stadium seating, all that stuff should be easy enough to rotate in and out to keep a place relevant for longer periods of time. Again though, in major cities large areas of land in the central core are not that available. When something like this is built it should be designed with rebuilding/renovation in mind.

Just curious why some of you think the Saddledome is 'not up to standards' or 'behind the times'?

It think the arena has some real character and is in a great location (literally 15 minutes to get there from most places on the train)

I think the Saddledome's deficiencies (whatever they are) could be easily solved with some renovations.

To me, the reasoning is obvious....ever since Edmonton received the green light for their new arena, the insecure Calgary fans need to "Keep up with the Joneses"

Saddledome is an awful place. The city has always supported that team well and deserve a decent stadium. God knows they have the money. I would have kept on stampede grounds. Calgary is not a downtown city. There is no such thing as walk up traffic. The location they are talking about is not on the C train unless they are extending it too (I haven't lived there in many years so for all I know it could have been extended out there). Some good indoor sports stadiums would be great for the city too. McMahon is ancient.

Yeah two years ago they completed the c train out west, There's a stop right there, the sunalta stop i believe.

Just curious why some of you think the Saddledome is 'not up to standards' or 'behind the times'?

It think the arena has some real character and is in a great location (literally 15 minutes to get there from most places on the train)

I think the Saddledome's deficiencies (whatever they are) could be easily solved with some renovations.

To me, the reasoning is obvious....ever since Edmonton received the green light for their new arena, the insecure Calgary fans need to "Keep up with the Joneses"

I don't know how often you've been there but the building is completely out of date. As i've mentioned before they loose a ton of revenue from concerts due to the acoustics of the building. it was built over 30 years ago, it has limited box seats, Most NHL rinks have over 9000 lower bowl seats, the saddle dome has just over 6000. (that's 3000 seats all at $250-450 a game) The building isn't set up to generate NHL type revenue.

The only real thing the saddle dome has going for it is the location. But the move is probably the second best location. Right off crowchild, still in the heart of the city. Might be hard to find parking though.

Yeah two years ago they completed the c train out west, There's a stop right there, the sunalta stop i believe.

I don't know how often you've been there but the building is completely out of date. As i've mentioned before they loose a ton of revenue from concerts due to the acoustics of the building. it was built over 30 years ago, it has limited box seats, Most NHL rinks have over 9000 lower bowl seats, the saddle dome has just over 6000. (that's 3000 seats all at $250-450 a game) The building isn't set up to generate NHL type revenue.

The only real thing the saddle dome has going for it is the location. But the move is probably the second best location. Right off crowchild, still in the heart of the city. Might be hard to find parking though.

I was born in Calgary and have seen more NHL games there than anywhere else combined.

I have also been to many other rinks around the NHL, and the Saddledome is one of my favorite arenas.

The issues you described could easily be resolved with renovating the current arena rather than building a completely new one. The arena has its own local charm and many of hockey's greatest moments have occurred in that building.

There aren't many of the iconic rinks left in the league (Islanders losing theirs, Detroit soon to follow, and Edmonton) and the new fancy arenas don't have the atmosphere the old ones did.

I have never had a bad time watching hockey at the Saddledome.

Archived