The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

These posts from before the season started are Lulz

Webster6

Miller contract is terrible, anyone that doesn't realize that is insane themselves.

He's earning more than he's worth, no doubt. Benning just had decided to bring in veteran depth to the G position. It was between him or Hiller. In hindsight we probably could have gone with the latter, and Lack could've carried a bigger load. We just didn't know how confident to be in Lack at the start of the season.

As nice as it would be to move Miller in the off season, it's a bad choice for the organization as it will scare away future free agents. I suggest grinding it out with him at least another season, and just sell off the goalie talent that Rollie Melanson keeps pushing through our system. Lack should by now, fetch a mid 2nd rounder, no?

He's earning more than he's worth, no doubt. Benning just had decided to bring in veteran depth to the G position. It was between him or Hiller. In hindsight we probably could have gone with the latter, and Lack could've carried a bigger load. We just didn't know how confident to be in Lack at the start of the season.

As nice as it would be to move Miller in the off season, it's a bad choice for the organization as it will scare away future free agents. I suggest grinding it out with him at least another season, and just sell off the goalie talent that Rollie Melanson keeps pushing through our system. Lack should by now, fetch a mid 2nd rounder, no?

Trading Lack for a 2nd rounder would be an atrocious move

To be fair to that Occam guy, we weren't confident in Lack ourselves and many still aren't. I don't think you'll find anyone taking back the Miller signing.

We have a gaping hole at 2nd line center and Benning decides to throw stupid money at a goalie who was outperformed by an overworked Eddie Lack last season. Awesome.

He'll be 34 years old at the start of next season. He's in sharp decline. He's probably the second best goaltender on our roster right now. Oh, and he's taking up $6M of cap space for the next 3 seasons.

Their numbers at even strength were virtually identical last season, even with Torts riding Lack past the point of exhaustion and then some (beyond idiotic, but I'll save the Torts rant for another time). Lack's about to enter his prime, whereas Miller's was about 5 years ago. Unless you believe that Miller is miraculously going to return to prime form at 34 years of age, or that Lack overachieved last season and is about to fall off a cliff, there's really no logical reason to expect Miller to outperform Lack over the next three years.

In a vacuum, Miller is a nice addition as a safety blanket in case Lack flops; at 3x6, it's a waste of cap space that could be better spent on more pressing needs such as a 2nd line centerman or PMD.

Rolling with Lack/Markstrom would have been a mistake, but there was no reason Benning couldn't have pursued a cheaper alternative than Miller. The fact that Lack is already outplaying Miller in year 1 out of the 3 year deal isn't a good sign.

Rolling with Lack/Markstrom would have been a mistake, but there was no reason Benning couldn't have pursued a cheaper alternative than Miller. The fact that Lack is already outplaying Miller in year 1 out of the 3 year deal isn't a good sign.

Not going to argue that at all, but Miller (despite his average season this year) is still considered a top flight goaltender in the league. If we're content with Lack moving forward we could trade Miller for futures and sign a cheap back up next year. Those are free assets that we might not have gotten if we had signed a lesser known, cheaper alternative.

Also keep in mind Benning and Linden were determined to compete this year, as in for the Cup. So I'm sure putting their stakes in Miller was in their mind securing our 'Cup worthy' goaltending, instead of putting faith instead of a worse alternative in FA or a guy who's never played a full season in the league.

That's the way I see it at least.

Intoewsables, on 02 Jul 2014 - 2:26 PM, said:snapback.png

We have a gaping hole at 2nd line center and Benning decides to throw stupid money at a goalie who was outperformed by an overworked Eddie Lack last season. Awesome.

Well you were sort of wrong about the "gaping hole at 2nd line center"

But I agree that Miller wasn't needed. I would have gone with a cheaper goalie to split the starts with Lack.

Archived