The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Higgins vs Matthais

baumerman77

I think the question might be better posed as Richardson or Matthias.

I like Matthias - but he's been somewhat frustrating to watch lately - 1 point in 11 games down the stretch run - but his production is not what frustrates me - for whatever reason he just hasn't seemed to elevate his game, particularly in a physical sense. Some guys are streaky and you have to live with that fact, but it's the skate-by thing that gets to me.

Anyhow - he'll be a tough decision. He has some strong qualities and did net 18 this year, but it will be both hard to pay him and hard to let him walk. I think he's likely a guy who will have to make a concession if he wants to stay - I personally can't see offering him more than guys like Higgins and Hansen are making.

If I could only re-sign one of Richardson or Matthias, I'd have to take Richardson's overall intensity and his versatility. He's a swiss army knife kind of player, an excellent fit in the group, his 21 points in 45 games was outstanding. and he's far more effective at center. Some tough decisions coming up with the forward group and the goaltending.

who would be stupid enough to give him 4M ?

:lol: Probably a good few GM's. Big guy in his prime, can play W (or C in a pinch), fast, scored 18 this year.

We might be able to retain him for +/- $3.5m but other teams WILL offer more. Your $2-2.5m is a fantasy. And frankly we probably can't afford more than $2.5-$3 which likely won't be enough to retain him.

As much as I like both of them, I think if Matthias walks and we can find another asset. He's a great skater and a big body but he doesn't finish checks like he should. I like Higgins' 200ft game more than Matthias' and Higgins has really picked up his game recently while Matthias isn't doing as well.

It's like they both met on their respective arcs and are now heading in different directions play/intensity speaking.

Matthias did produce points but is playing bow his physical potential. That's frustrating. More frustrating would be to see him signed for more money and term.

Personally I would like to see both replaced by our youth if possible.

I don't think either Higgins or Mattias is going.

I think Richardson is the candidate... he is too injury prone.

Higgins is one of the team's best defensive forwards, he is constantly saving us in our zone, taking the puck out of danger. He will be with the Canucks for one more year.

Mattias is still an evolving player... with big potential if WD can find the right linemates.

But he is not worth too much... will need to sign for 4.0.

Mathias is a big power forward and has demonstrated his talents but maybe has had his line mates juggled in order to fit Vey in somewhere. Early on this season Mathias showed his strengths but he is not being used right. Canucks should not concentrate on defense because their D is weak. Attacking is what wins games and sitting on leads of one goal is dumb. Remember the team has had the first 1 or 2 goals scored against them before the first period is over.

As much as I like both of them, I think Matthias can be traded for an asset. He's a great skater and a big body but he doesn't finish checks like he could. I like Higgins' 200ft game more than Matthias' and Higgins has really picked up his game recently while Matthias isn't doing as well.

Hmmmm...

Reality is an overwhelming force you may encounter someday?

Higgins easy for me.

I think hes a better player and Matthias will be significantly more expensive.

Richardson is likely gone too unless JB moves a contract like Miller, Bieksa or Burrows. Miller is the one that makes the most sense.

Archived