The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi deserves a shot against Calgary!

G. Reaper

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Baertchi-Bonino-Vrbata

Higgins-Horvat-Hansen

Kenins-Vey-Dorsett

If Richardson and Kassian come back:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Burrows-Bonino-Vrbata

Higgins-Richardson-Dorsett

Kenins-Horvat-Hansen

Switch Higgins and Kennins

If Richardson and Kassian are back in

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Bonino Vrbata

Higgins Richardson Kassian

Dorsett Horvat Hansen

Matthias

Vey

Kennins

McMillan (played very well tonight)

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Bonino Vrbata

Higgins Horvat Hansen

Matthias Richardson Kassian

Canucks in 4... GG

This lineup illustrates what I mean by depth.

With it, we have Dorsett, Kenins and Vey on the bench.

The defense is just as deep, with Clendening, Corrado and Biega as backups. B)

Guest Dasein

Game 7 (Hope it doesn't get that far, but whatever) Horvat with a beauty pass to Baertschi. Baertschi snipes it and Rogers Arena explodes.

Flames fans cry all summer on internet forums across the land

Off an atrocious Gaudreau turn-over

Really depends on how Richardson, Kassian, and Matthias are. Do you give him the nod over the other rookies, Kennis and Vey? Vey can play center (apparently) and both are more proven this year, so I think at the start they should get the nod before him (especially if both Richardson and Matthias are injured because Vey will need to center).

I agree Calgary gave up on him and he has a lot of potential

Would love to see him in game 1 I think today was a really good statement game for him today sometimes a fresh start is what a player really needs and I think if he got some playoffs experience it will give him the confidence he needs.

This year is also about playoff development so if we can be competitive and developing players good things will happen for this team.

Lets clarify that calgary did not give up on him. his agent stated that he wasnt going to resign with them leading to a trade at the deadline. giving that, calgary got a second rounder for him and said thats the most a team was offering for him at the deadline i think both parties did good.

I don't see why not letting him play the 1st game, he obviously gained some confidence from tonight game, he's going to play the team that never gave him a proper chance and gave up on him. Oo and not to forget itll be his first career playoff game. I think he will be extremely motivated and focused

Sedins - Burrows

Sven - Bonino - Vrbata

Higgins - Horvat - Hansen

Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

Assuming Kassian is still out, but if he's ready to go unfortunately then I think you have to sit Sven. If Kassian is ready to go

Sedins - Burrows

Higgins - Bonino - Vrbata

Dorsett - Horvat - Hansen

Matthias - Richardson - Kassian

Also love the fact we have Kennins/Vey as depth players, cuz we're going to need them eventually if we go far in the grueling playoffs

I'd like to see SB sometime, but I think these will be the lines of BR and ZK are still out:

22-33-14

20-13-17

27-7-51

41-53-36

Really hoping Richie is in for Vey. Or

22-33-14

47-13-17

20-27-51

41-53-36

I like my second lineup, but I doubt WD puts in Baertschi over Vey

I like my second lineup, but I doubt WD puts in Baertschi over Vey

Why though?

He says he likes Vey at center over Matthias, yet Vey doesn't do anything that you want a good center to do. He doesn't win faceoffs, doesn't create a ton of scoring chances, and has average puck possession numbers, I don't get it.

Surely Matthias can do just as much as Vey at center.

Why though?

He says he likes Vey at center over Matthias, yet Vey doesn't do anything that you want a good center to do. He doesn't win faceoffs, doesn't create a ton of scoring chances, and has average puck possession numbers, I don't get it.

That's exactly what I don't get. It's common sense to have Vey in at RW and Matthias at C. It seems obvious to me, but I guess he has his reasons.

Vey did not look good at all tonight, Baertschi did, and if Vey even plays remotely close to how he did tonight, there is no way he plays a game unless he shows differently.

Why though?

35cn3aw.png

Good poise, great puck protection, slick speed, awesome goals (little lucky)

Overall sweet to see him get a chance with Vrbata and Bonino and what a good looking line, however Higgins has been doing a good job at a longer time frame than 1 game so don't think he deserves the spot specifically in a playoff atmosphere.

I doubt he makes the opening night roster but is nice to see a preview for next year.

I have to respectfully disagree as well. As much as I like the kid, he hasn't earned any spot. He scored 2 goals against a weak Oilers team. If that was any other team, he would've been pushed off the puck or the goaltender probably would've saved it.

If someone on the team starts slacking or isn't playing well, then sure give him a shot. Or perhaps if we're up 3 - 0 in the series

Lets clarify that calgary did not give up on him. his agent stated that he wasnt going to resign with them leading to a trade at the deadline. giving that, calgary got a second rounder for him and said thats the most a team was offering for him at the deadline i think both parties did good.

Calgary did indeed give up on him by failing to see his potential. They did a terrible job of developing him and they blamed him for it. Why do you think his agent said he wouldn't re-sign with them? I'll tell you why, because they gave up on him and he was tired of not getting the chance he clearly deserves!

Baertschi has looked very good in the offensive zone in his limited time as a Canuck. It's not a big sample size but I can already say he is a much bigger threat to score than Higgins is on the 2nd line. He's not great defensively but can work on that as long as he pops some goals to make up for it. I really like his speed and aggressive mindset when he gets the puck. Seems to have a heavy shot too.

It would be awesome if he winds up scoring some big goals which end up sinking the Flames in the upcoming series. That might take some of the sting away from seeing Martin Gelinas scoring against the Canucks to end the 2004 series. I was a huge fan of that guy during his time in Vancouver and then he joined the enemy. Burrows reminds me of Gelinas in how hard he works.

@ NucksFan1995

The Flames didn't give up on Baertschi. They just ignored his talent and didn't give him a fair chance. It was Baertschi who gave up on the Flames by telling themhe wouldn't sign again with the Flames organization. A very lucky bounce for the Canucks. Kudos to Benning and Linden for their courage to make that quick trade!

Sven and the Flames have been trying to find a solution for quite some time before it came down to a trade (as reported by media at the deadline). There were already rumours that he would be traded after Burke's comments but then Treliving came on board just at the time when Sven broke his ribs at the Worlds so it probably "bought" some time to still try and figure things out.

Although Sven vigorously denied his father's comments, you can't help but wonder if he wasn't indeed playing in a straight-jacket in Calgary. He is making so many more plays here but it probably also helps his confidence to not play with grinders and be worried that the slightest mistake would get him benched.
I think that this time Craig Button wasn't that far off when he said that he thinks that the Flames came to accept that Sven wouldn't succeed under their current regime (talked about how things changed with Burke and Hartley). Also went on to say that some coaches prefer certain players over others. Thinks it's a very good move by the Canucks.

Archived