The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hilary Clinton Announces Presidential Bid for 2016

DonLever

From USA Today:

Hillary Clinton formally launched her second presidential bid today, vowing to be the champion for "everyday" American families and to strengthen the economy.

"Americans have fought their way back from tough economic times, but the deck is still stacked in favor of those at the top," Clinton said in a video posted on her website, hillaryclinton.com.

Everyday Americans need a champion. I want to be that champion so you can do more than just get by, so you can get ahead and stay ahead," she said. "Because when families are strong, America is strong."

The long-awaited announcement was preceded by an email from campaign chairman John Podesta to supporters, which was first reported by the Associated Press. A formal campaign kickoff isn't expected until next month.

First, Clinton will head to small communities in Iowa for roundtable discussions with students and educators in Monticello and small business owners in Norwalk, on Tuesday and Wednesday respectively.

The approach is part of a different strategy Clinton is taking from her 2008 campaign, which will focus on convincing voters through small-group settings that she has ideas for helping the middle class and the skills to govern.

Clinton's declaration that she's in the race ends two years of less-than-subtle preparation: giving speeches, promoting the causes of the Clinton family's charitable foundation, and assembling a staff for the 2016 race.

The former secretary of State enters the campaign as the overwhelming favorite to capture the Democratic nomination with a significant lead over all her potential rivals in polls. Her credentials are deep, from her service as the nation's top diplomat in President Obama's first term to eight years as a U.S. senator representing New York.

Yet concerns about dynasties in politics and whether Clinton's nomination is a pre-ordained conclusion will follow her. Potential rivals such as Martin O'Malley, the former Maryland governor, have knocked the idea of whether Clinton's nomination is inevitable.

"The public is concerned about this," said John Hudak, a fellow in governance studies at the Brookings Institution. "The best way for her to get past it is to run as a prospective Democratic nominee like she's in a field with 10 other candidates. ... She wants to be an ideas candidate and not just someone who has the resume for the job."

The 2016 election will be an interesting one for sure..

I can't think of a single frontrunner right now..

Obama was the biggest threat to the republicans, and now they seem poised to return.

I want Rand Paul to win..

Rick Santorum, if he's running.

The prospect of any of the 2016 Presidential candidates getting into office terrifies me.

If I had to pick one I'd choose Rand, but even he still makes me uneasy at times.

Yikes.

Edit

Rick Santorum, if he's running.

Please tell me you're joking.

Please tell me you're joking.

Honestly, in both the US and Canadian elections, there's really no one good to vote for. May as well put pictures up on the wall, turn off the lights, and throw darts and see who wins. Just not Trudeau, and not Clinton.

Honestly, in both the US and Canadian elections, there's really no one good to vote for. May as well put pictures up on the wall, turn off the lights, and throw darts and see who wins. Just not Trudeau, and not Clinton.

why not clinton?

Archived