The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN - MTL

Rationale:

Habs lack scoring support for Price which led to their defeat (only 2.61 goals/ game this past season; only Patches, Brendan Gallagher and good ol' Dale Weise scored more than one goal in their playoffs).

Canucks lack size to battle in the playoffs and puck mobility, and would like to get younger. Vrbata seems to not have trust from management, but market value's likely 1st and prospect.

Alright, now the deal:

Vancouver acquires

D Nathan Beaulieu (Tinordi can probably fill the future Top-4 D-man role)
R.W. Devante Smith-Pelly (young enough to join growing youth)
3rd round pick

Montreal acquires
R.W. Radim Vrbata
pick (3rd or lower) or D-prospect to balance out ***if needed***

Thoughts?

Hows Tinordi doing? Is he still legit. It'd be hard to pry Beaulieu was just based on his heritage. I seem to remember MG being close to getting Tinordi, or at least he really wanted him. We do need offensive D though, and NB seems to be well heralded.

Meh. Smith-Pelly is (going to be) more of a 3rd liner or fringe 2nd liner. Beaulieu is a nice 3rd pairing d-man, and possible 2nd pairing d-man, but I'm not thrilled with either. I'd probably be alright with the trade though.

Meh. Smith-Pelly is (going to be) more of a 3rd liner or fringe 2nd liner. Beaulieu is a nice 3rd pairing d-man, but I'd rather try for something else.

Beaulieu is a top 4 guy who is being groomed to replace Markov. He is far from a 3rd pairing guy. That said. Montreal is way to high on him to mortgage their future for a pending UFA

Hows Tinordi doing? Is he still legit. It'd be hard to pry Beaulieu was just based on his heritage. I seem to remember MG being close to getting Tinordi, or at least he really wanted him. We do need offensive D though, and NB seems to be well heralded.

Pedan beat the snot out of him, he will never be the same now, kinda like Adam Deadmarsh after he met Jovo's uppercut.

Rationale:

Habs lack scoring support for Price which led to their defeat (only 2.61 goals/ game this past season; only Patches, Brendan Gallagher and good ol' Dale Weise scored more than one goal in their playoffs).

Canucks lack size to battle in the playoffs and puck mobility, and would like to get younger. Vrbata seems to not have trust from management, but market value's likely 1st and prospect.

Alright, now the deal:

Vancouver acquires

D Nathan Beaulieu (Tinordi can probably fill the future Top-4 D-man role)

R.W. Devante Smith-Pelly (young enough to join growing youth)

3rd round pick

Montreal acquires

R.W. Radim Vrbata

pick (3rd or lower) or D-prospect to balance out ***if needed***

Thoughts?

I don't think they're trading Beaulieu, a defenseman who just solidified himself in the NHL and will replace Markov and Emelin in the near future, for a 34 year old who has only one year left on his contract.

Unless he's really undervalued in their organization and Bergevin is desperate to make a trade for a scorer, I don't see this happening. But as a Canucks fan, I would be absolutely amazed if Benning pulled something close to this

I don't think they're trading Beaulieu, a defenseman who just solidified himself in the NHL and will replace Markov and Emelin in the near future, for a 34 year old who has only one year left on his contract.

Unless he's really undervalued in their organization and Bergevin is desperate to make a trade for a scorer, I don't see this happening. But as a Canucks fan, I would be absolutely amazed if Benning pulled something close to this

And THAT is the elephant in the room.

For all of Montreals successes over the last 2-3 seasons; that lack of scoring has been a glaringly ugly issue in the playoffs. They played what, 4 or 5 games between the end of the first round and their elimination. Not really so concerning to have yet another good young d man but scoring

I still think Vrbata Subban + a middling pick this or next year could get that deal done.

In fact I think Bergevin would be so into a possible Subban Subban pairing on his team that he'd be hard pressed not to consider it.

And THAT is the elephant in the room.

For all of Montreals successes over the last 2-3 seasons; that lack of scoring has been a glaringly ugly issue in the playoffs. They played what, 4 or 5 games between the end of the first round and their elimination. Not really so concerning to have yet another good young d man but scoring

I still think Vrbata Subban + a middling pick this or next year could get that deal done.

In fact I think Bergevin would be so into a possible Subban Subban pairing on his team that he'd be hard pressed not to consider it.

Bergevin passed up Subban 4 times before Vancouver ultimately drafted him. If he really wanted him he had plenty of opportunities to take him. Beaulieu has already stepped into their top 4. I seriously doubt he'll sacrifice a young future top pairing pp qb for one year of Vrbata.

Bergevin is one of the most astute GM's in the league. He can find a better fit at a lower price.

Finally. Montreal's star players are all still very young. It's not like their window is closing and they need to be desperate

Bergevin passed up Subban 4 times before Vancouver ultimately drafted him. If he really wanted him he had plenty of opportunities to take him. Beaulieu has already stepped into their top 4. I seriously doubt he'll sacrifice a young future top pairing pp qb for one year of Vrbata.

Bergevin is one of the most astute GM's in the league. He can find a better fit at a lower price.

Finally. Montreal's star players are all still very young. It's not like their window is closing and they need to be desperate

If Bergevin's open to it hopefully Trader Jim would do a sign-and-trade for Radim with him. Euro's age very gracefully and doubt Radim would be any different, so he'd at least be able to support their run for the next couple of years. Maybe he'd even include Clendening or Corrado?

Alternatively, do you see Tinordi as having NHL-level puck-moving? I mean it's probably not Beaulieu-level but who would you compare Jarred to offensively? All I've heard he's got decent shutdown potential but he's probably still an NHL-level prospect, though he's not as strong in the puck-moving aspect which Vancouver needs.

If Bergevin's open to it hopefully Trader Jim would do a sign-and-trade for Radim with him. Euro's age very gracefully and doubt Radim would be any different, so he'd at least be able to support their run for the next couple of years. Maybe he'd even include Clendening or Corrado?

Alternatively, do you see Tinordi as having NHL-level puck-moving? I mean it's probably not Beaulieu-level but who would you compare Jarred to offensively? All I've heard he's got decent shutdown potential but he's probably still an NHL-level prospect, though he's not as strong in the puck-moving aspect which Vancouver needs.

I honestly don't see Beaulieu being available at all. With Weaver, and Gonchar gone that leaves Montreal with Subban, Markov, Beaulieu, Emelin, Tinordi,Gilbert and Pateryn as thier top 7. If they re-sign Perty I could see one of Gilbert, Emelin, Pateryn or Tinordi being available. The only one of them that can be termed a puck moving defenceman is Gilbert.

People will hate this but a trade that makes sense for both teams is a Vrbata for Desharnais + a small add.

Vancouver needs a 2C and Montreal needs a skilled winger. As maligned as Desharnais is his points per season isn't far behind what Vrbata puts up.(sting on a offensively challenged team) Both are UFA after next season. Desharnais is younger (28) and cheaper ($3.5m) He's smaller but it's not like Vrbata adds a lot of grit to Vancouver's lineup right now

Best of all neither team needs to mortgage their future to fill a hole they have.

No way Montreal gives up Beaulieu just as he's ready to step into a top 4 role for one year of Vrbata

They could re-sign him, it's just less likely they do so if this is a deadline deal. In the summer, it might be something they consider - but they are high on Beaulieu.

Archived